Premed 101 Forums

Just received offer at UBC VFMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1st choice, 1st time applying.

Stats:

Pre-req: probably 3.6ish

Cumulative: 3.8ish

Last 60: 4.0ish

MCAT: 33P

Extracurriculars: Research assistant for ~1 year, international volunteering, school exec, various clubs, one publication

So incredibly psyched. Will be accepting. Praise God.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Alright, so does anyone know how this wait-list business works?

This is my first time applying, and I only applied to UBC and I'm really hoping to get in-but just wondering, what are the realistic chances of people getting in? (i.e. is there any way of knowing how many people are on the list/how many people usually decline offers, thus causing WL students to receive an acceptance)

Also, I know that the time given to applicants to accept offers is shorter this year than previous years-I guess that means the first and biggest? wave of waitlist acceptances will go out somewhere around May 19/20??

Sorry for all the questions--I'm just curious and anxious and wondering if I should even keep some hope or just start planning for the next cycle?!

Anyways-I guess other people on the waitlist can post here so we can keep count and track of the WL movement?!!

Sadly waitlist movement is minimal, as I discovered last year. Being the only med school in BC, and in a very desirable location, and with an admissions policy that admits many students that would not be able to get into any other medical school in the country - there are very few people that leave. Some will choose UofT, or McGill over UBC from the IP pile, and some will for bfs or gfs go to other medical schools. That number is rarely more than 20-25 a year.

It's funny, because my OAS status changed from "Waitlist" to "Offer" about 10 minutes before I got the email, so I was sitting there not sure if it was real or not. Exact time of the email, however, was 3:31:21 PM.

Good luck!

Hey guitarded,

there is no response to offer form we have to fill out to accept, right? just $500 deposit?

Congrats Guys. Was definitely hoping for better news today. Nice stats isaiah - makes me wonder where my GPA puts me on the list. :confused:

I feel the same way!!! This is pure torture! I just wish they would tell us where we were on the list cause waiting like this is horrible!

Hey guitarded,

there is no response to offer form we have to fill out to accept, right? just $500 deposit?

Hey isaiah, under the "Check status" window on the OAS, there should be a "Submit" link next to "Response offer form". After you fill that out, it proceeds to payment for the $500 deposit. When you're done that, it changes to "Received".

Oh, and congrats!

Hey isaiah, under the "Check status" window on the OAS, there should be a "Submit" link next to "Response offer form". After you fill that out, it proceeds to payment for the $500 deposit. When you're done that, it changes to "Received".

Oh, and congrats!

Ah, that completely missed me. THanks for pointing that out!

and congrats to you too, see you in fall!:D

I guess we should start seeing rejection letters soon? anyone know?

also anyone get into the island program?

Yeah, that would make sense. Maybe they'll send out one more batch of offers for people who rejected them today (?).

They might, if someone declines the offer or if someone that has already accepted withdraws (perhaps they get in from another school's waitlist).

But those are few and far between.

This was most likely the largest WL movement that is gonna happen.

I was really hopeful something would pan out today...

Congrats guitarded and isaiah - seriously!!

I can only imagine how great and relieved you must feel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For the rest of us here on the WL, what is the deadline to accept your offers?

It's a tight turnaround. They've given us until Friday May 21st at 12:00PM (Pacific time I assume) to submit our deposit and response form. I assume the next round of offers will go out that afternoon.

Best of luck!

I know a few people who accepted UBC just to keep it as an option till the Ontario School's deadline (May 27) so perhaps there will be movement then too. I find it so frustrating that UBC keeps their waitlisters so in the dark. It is a detriment to the program as well, as obviously we would be good candidates. We should have as much time as rejected students to prepare for our applications next year.

Congrats to all the waitlisters accepted! I know it must be frustrating, but just be glad you didn't apply to the University of Manitoba! They release the 1st 2/3 of the acceptance invitation on the 14th, and the other 1/3 plus all the rejections and waitlists on June 4th!! So on the 14th if you hear nothing, you don't know if you're in, out, or waitlisted, and have to wait to hear...I know there were many people in tears on the 14th and I'm so disappointed in the U of M's system. Very inconsiderate for the applicants. And I fail to see how the system benefits ANYONE, including the U of M...

Archived