Premed 101 Forums

McMaster MD Program: Class of 2013!

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
Cost of insuring my car in ON: 4127/yr. Cost of insuring in QC: 1400ish/yr. :cool:

Be careful, you need to disclose that you drive your car more than 10 days a year to Ontario so that the insurance rate will reflect the reality of your partciular situation. Once you cross the border of Quebec, the liability exposure of your insirer dramatically rises and they want to/are entitled to charge a premium that reflects their risk.

This may be of interest to current applicants:

http://fhs.mcmaster.ca/mdprog/documents/Classof2013.pdf

Everyday I am blown away by the breadth and depth of our class, in terms of both their academic and life experiences!

MD Program begins on Monday!

:)

awesome - I felt/feel the same way our my class. The truly amazing thing about any med school class (at least in Canada) is the wide variety of backgrounds. Think of something and pretty much someone in the class does that, and does it unbelievably well :)

Enjoy your first week, let the games begin!

This may be of interest to current applicants:

http://fhs.mcmaster.ca/mdprog/documents/Classof2013.pdf

Everyday I am blown away by the breadth and depth of our class, in terms of both their academic and life experiences!

MD Program begins on Monday!

:)

Nice post, but funny because I always draw the opposite conclusion. I'm always blown away by the fact that the number of health sciences students exceeds every other discipline put together, besides science.

I guess I think of it this way, people interested in medicine, will take an undergrad program in something like health sciences (or similar) to learn more about the science of health (similar to medicine). So its not that much of a shock that a large number of people in medicine have health sci degrees.

I guess I think of it this way, people interested in medicine, will take an undergrad program in something like health sciences (or similar) to learn more about the science of health (similar to medicine). So its not that much of a shock that a large number of people in medicine have health sci degrees.

Or it could be that health sci's do actually have GPA inflation and thus have a much better chance to get into med school (note: NOT instigation for flame war. Just pointing out a possibility). McMaster's Health Science program aside, I actually think "health sci" at other universities is offered as an arts program and not a science program. At UofT for example, Health Studies deals with the policies and determinants of health instead of the "science" behind health.

EDIT: HOLY F$#% there's someone with a 15 in VR in your class!!! :o

It's graded on a curve, so there is going to be somebody who scored better than everyone else out there, and I assume that person is going to get into med school :P

(now, to find out who it was....)

Didn't wkim101 get a 15??

edit - just checked...he had only a 14 on verbal.

Haha, yea, only a 14 :P

---

This may just be a huge coincidence, but, there are 16 aboriginals in the class

...and 16 people with GPA's below 3.6 who got in

And one guy from med school who got in to Mac this year, but I'm assuming they went overseas for meds and applied to Canada while at an International school

15 is probably a perfect 40/40, not just a curve up.

Looks like VR definitely pushed the cGPA down. Probably an even bigger decrease this year because of the friendly ghost.

maaaaybe, don't forget there are always new questions and passages they are testing that don't count towards the final score.

Or it could be that health sci's do actually have GPA inflation and thus have a much better chance to get into med school (note: NOT instigation for flame war. Just pointing out a possibility). McMaster's Health Science program aside, I actually think "health sci" at other universities is offered as an arts program and not a science program. At UofT for example, Health Studies deals with the policies and determinants of health instead of the "science" behind health.

I'm more surprised that someone got in with a 6.

Haha, yea, only a 14 :P

---

This may just be a huge coincidence, but, there are 16 aboriginals in the class

...and 16 people with GPA's below 3.6 who got in

l

Maybe you should read more carefully before making stupid remarks. Sixteen declared applicants applied, only 2 are in the class.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Wow... You really went back far to dig up this post eh? Talk about a bump.

Anyway, the program currently has 209 seats for first years. Stats for the previous years (GPA/MCAT) can be found here:

http://fhs.mcmaster.ca/mdprog/selection_process.html

Good luck!

I am applying for the program in the next few months for the 2013 year. Any advice? I was wondering how many students are accepted into the program? Also what the GPA cut off is?

Thanks

K. this is my first post... but long time lurker.

i got into my top choices this year and am so thankful... I know there are so many amazing and awesome applicants.

I desperately wanted mac and was thrilled to be offered a spot but, i got the big giant intimidating package after i had left for europe for the summer (not even for traveling, actually for work... so you'd think that would make a difference in terms of what comes next!)

I e-mailed the office and apparently i have to do my cpr recert, fill in my medical forms, and somehow get my police check done through the OPP all while in frieken switzerland. I get back the 10th and everything is due the 3rd. If it's not in by then they take away my offer. are there any 2nd or 3rd years out there who encountered a similar issue or any advice from future 2015's??

Archived