Premed 101 Forums

Applying To US DO Med Schools - FAQs, Guidance & Canadian Friendly Schools

Btw Mash and everyone else just a fyi, Ive been in touch with a couple of AOA residency directors and have been told that there are currently multiple Canadian students doing AOA residencies on the H1B visa. Also, according to one AOA residency director, for most programs, the AOA has NO such rule that does not allow internationals (ie Canadians to apply) to obtain residency.

Just wanted to make this clear since ive been hearing a lot that the AOA residencies dont sponser for the H1B etc.

ps the directors i contacted were for orthopedic surgery and derm in the midwest.

Btw Mash and everyone else just a fyi, Ive been in touch with a couple of AOA residency directors and have been told that there are currently multiple Canadian students doing AOA residencies on the H1B visa. Also, according to one AOA residency director, for most programs, the AOA has NO such rule that does not allow internationals (ie Canadians to apply) to obtain residency.

Just wanted to make this clear since ive been hearing a lot that the AOA residencies dont sponser for the H1B etc.

ps the directors i contacted were for orthopedic surgery and derm in the midwest.

If only AOA residencies were accepted in Canada, things would be a lot easier. Are we any closer to getting AOA residencies accredited? I wonder if it's simply an issue of no recognition or if they've actually said that AOA residencies are sub-par.

I never said AOA has a rule that does not allow internationals to apply. I said that MOST of them - the vast vast majority do not sponsor VISAs. And without visa sponsorship - one cannot do a residency in that location - which effectively means one cannot apply there. There are a few odd ones out that do sponsor visas - the ones you stated. But those are rare and far in between. Either way, even if you did get lucky and got a H1B sponsoring AOA residency - you can't work in Canada as it is not recognized, then you get into other problems like not being able to go to a ACGME fellowship since your AOA residency is not ACGME accredited, etc (assuming the new rules are passed).

If only AOA residencies were accepted in Canada, things would be a lot easier. Are we any closer to getting AOA residencies accredited? I wonder if it's simply an issue of no recognition or if they've actually said that AOA residencies are sub-par.

I actually saw a letter from MCC regarding this matter. The reply said that both USMDs and USDOs are considered "IMG" to the MCC. However, USMDs do not have to take the MCCEEs because USMD schools are LMCE accredited (as are Canadians schools), so are exempt, where as USDO schools are AOA accredited, not LCME accredited - so have to take the MCCEE.

The AOA is not about to let the LCME accredit their school anytime soon, I'd say that this will never happen. As such, the MCCEE will stay probably indefinitely.

• 3 weeks later...

hey Mash , Do you think, we are considered as an international for M.D residency after being to D.O school in US ? If we are then wouldn't be same thing as if someone goes to carrabian and apply for residency in US ? I heard that you need a status ( green card, citizenship of U.S) to be considered as domestic for residency .. Otherwise same thing as IMG applying for residency.. Is that true?

when you apply for residency, where you attended school and your citizenship both matter. As a DO you will be attending a mainland US school and will be considered an American medical graduate without a american citizenship. If you go to the Caribbean, you will be considered a foreign medical graduate without a citizenship.

Being a American medical graduate is what gives the DO an advantage over going to the islands.

when you apply for residency, where you attended school and your citizenship both matter. As a DO you will be attending a mainland US school and will be considered an American medical graduate without a american citizenship. If you go to the Caribbean, you will be considered a foreign medical graduate without a citizenship.

Being a American medical graduate is what gives the DO an advantage over going to the islands.

What boobiman said is absolutely correct. Going to a Caribbean school, or any international school is most definitely not the same as attending a med school in the US.

As a foreign citizen, it is true that you will need either greencard, or some type of visa sponsorship for residency - this part is true regardless of whether you went to a US school or international school (if you are a foreign citizen), BUT, graduates of US med schools (AMGs) are preferred over IMGs regardless of citizenship the vast majority of the time - this is an issue of the program director's opinion of domestic medical education, either DO or MD, vs. international medical education. For the most part, program directors will trust a domestic US medical education vis a vis a foreign medical education.

This is the mentality you are dealing with: (quote from SDN user)

I emailed 40 program directors for 40 different residency programs in CA (the state I want to do residency) and proposed a hypothetical situation:

I got into both RVU (DO granting program) and SGU (caribbean MD program)

I asked which program I should attend to be most competitive for their residency program.

31/40 Said I should I should attend RVU

2/40 Said that IMG MDs and DOs are looked at equally

7/40 never responded.

0/40 Suggested SGU

I think that speaks pretty loudly..

Thanks guys.. I was wondering which schools should i apply with the cumulative GPA of 3.46 (3.45 in Science and 3.47 in Non science).. I also have 29 in MCAT. I am considering Michigan, university of New England, Touro and Kansas one.. Any other suggestions..

Hey Mash,

I was wondering if you knew of where to get past tests for the chem you took at ryerson. Any help would be appreciated!

you don't need past tests to get a 4.3 on their scale, I looked over the reading material, briefly did their suggested questions, and my MCAT chemistry was enough to carry me through. I even forgot to bring a calculator for the final exam, and had to guestimate my way with MCAT paper/pencil math to get a 4.0/4.3 on their scale.

Questions:

Do you know which MCAT they take? the highest one or the most recent one?

I am interested in MSU but I can't find anywhere where it mentions the cost of the school.. Thanks.

depends on school, some takes more recent, others take best, some will even average them out.

around 70k tuition for US citizens, 20k discount for Canadians, leaving you around 50k of tuition.

Hey

I got into a DO school and a school in Ireland. I am Canadian and I would like to come back to Canada for my residency and practice (either in BC or ON). I saw on the forum that someone in this forum contacted the schools in California and proposed a hypothetical question regrading which one they would preform? Just wondering if anybody in Canada has emailed the schools? Does anyone know who would be a good person to email about such a thing? (ie. would they be dean of medicine at the medical schools at UBC, U of T)? or do I contact each hospital and ask for the director of admissions? Thanks!

Hey

I got into a DO school and a school in Ireland. I am Canadian and I would like to come back to Canada for my residency and practice (either in BC or ON). I saw on the forum that someone in this forum contacted the schools in California and proposed a hypothetical question regrading which one they would preform? Just wondering if anybody in Canada has emailed the schools? Does anyone know who would be a good person to email about such a thing? (ie. would they be dean of medicine at the medical schools at UBC, U of T)? or do I contact each hospital and ask for the director of admissions? Thanks!

well, in my opinion, the choice is pretty obvious. Especially if you only want to end up back in BC or ON, which basically comes down to a 1st iteration round with your USDO vs the parallel IMG round with your MBBS with 5 year ROS in BC and ON.

To have an idea of what it's like matching in the IMG round, have a look on the first page again, and read that quote by moo.

To my knowledge, no one has emailed these Canadian schools and proposed that specific hypothetical situation. I'd actually recommend against what you are about to do because a lot of people still don't know what a USDO is, with the misconception that they are in the same category as naturopaths or chiropractors. If you looked through some of the previous pages on this thread, there's quite a few people who asked their family docs or supposed professionals, with the result being that these health professions trashed the DO profession with their profound ignorance, and the people who asked them went for the international options.

Anyhow, off that tangent, I'll tell you the next best thing you'd want to know - if you recall, there was an article written by this guy who works in this Canadian med school, I can't remember the details exactly, who said that going abroad for med school is a bad idea, etc etc. And how Canada doesn't have an obligation to give these IMGs a residency spot - it created quite a stir on this forum some time ago.

Anyway, a premed who got into a USDO school emailed him, and asked if it also applied to USDOs, and the response was that it did not. i.e., if you are not an IMG (i.e., if you are going to a US school, any US school), all that stuff he wrote about IMGs, and how Canada has no obligation to give them residencies did not apply to the AMGs (MDs/DOs).

Hope this helps.

I dont come here...very often...but what you did

Originally Posted by Honze55

I emailed 40 program directors for 40 different residency programs in CA (the state I want to do residency) and proposed a hypothetical situation:

I asked which program I should attend to be most competitive for their residency program.

7/40 never responded.

0/40 Suggested SGU

is that a joke??

im suprised most of the people didnt tell you to Eat a d*ck

7/40 never responded.

0/40 Suggested SGU

is that a joke??

lol More DO propaganda.

7/40 never responded.

0/40 Suggested SGU

is that a joke??

wrong forum slash, should save your d*ck talk for SDN, and the actual user who did that research - Honze55, and not a reposter on a separate forum.

Hi Mash, do u know if I can apply to AACom in June and submit my Mcat score in July.. 2) how long does it take to receive supplementary application? 3) when should I expect to get interview? 4) I have 3.46 cgpa and 3.47 sgpa and Also 30 in mcat.. Do u think I have chances for D.O ? Are kirksville and Des Moinese canadian friendly?

Hi Mash, do u know if I can apply to AACom in June and submit my Mcat score in July.. 2) how long does it take to receive supplementary application? 3) when should I expect to get interview? 4) I have 3.46 cgpa and 3.47 sgpa and Also 30 in mcat.. Do u think I have chances for D.O ? Are kirksville and Des Moinese canadian friendly?

Your primary application will not be complete until your MCAT gets sent to them. Then it takes 2 weeks - 1 month for them to confirm your primary. And another month for the schools to review your primary to decide whether to sent you a secondary or not.

Your GPA is fairly average, it'll be fine. Your MCAT is ~1-2 above average. The best thing you can do is to get a DO letter of recommendation, and expand the number of schools you can apply to. With current stats and provided you apply broadly, you'll get in somewhere.

Kirksville is not Canadian friendly, I only know of 1 Canadian acceptance in the last several years (~3). DMU no longer accepts Canadians unfortunately. Canadian friendly schools has been discussed extensively on SDN.

• Arztin unpinned and pinned this topic