Premed 101 Forums

Applying To US DO Med Schools - FAQs, Guidance & Canadian Friendly Schools

Do u know any USDO practicing in Toronto? I know couple of D.O in Brampton but they went to Canadian institution...

There was one that moved out or to the periphery of the GTA. Not sure if they'd be willing to take you for shadowing. I'd recommend contacting COMSA and asking for a USDO in Canada/Ontario that's willing to set you up. - We are working on that service right now.

Just out of curiosity, are there attempts being planned to educate Canadian program directors and other professionals involved in residencies on what a DO degree actually is? Is this something that COMSA is currently involved in? If so, how exactly do you plan on going about this? I would imagine that you would have to tread lightly, as there is already some resistance and skeptism to osteopathy and, coupled with the fact that a DO means something else entirely in Canada, this could be a very difficult task.

Just out of curiosity, are there attempts being planned to educate Canadian program directors and other professionals involved in residencies on what a DO degree actually is? Is this something that COMSA is currently involved in? If so, how exactly do you plan on going about this? I would imagine that you would have to tread lightly, as there is already some resistance and skeptism to osteopathy and, coupled with the fact that a DO means something else entirely in Canada, this could be a very difficult task.

tbh, this is one of the reasons id like to pursue residency/fellowship in the states.

Well, we are working on a lot of things - most of which are pretty sensitive so I am not at liberty to say.

A few things I can divulge:

Our president met with one of the top officials of the MCC I think (might have been a vice-president or something), and he was impressed with our progress.

We are trying to directly reach northern communities such that they will sponsor students to study at DO schools in the US, provided that these students return to Canada to serve in the community that supported them for the number of years of support they received.

A lot of the issue we face is that there simply isn't that many USDOs in Canada, so brand recognition is a huge problem. We determined that the best way to combat this lack of brand recognition is in fact to increase the number of Canadians that study at USDO schools. To do so, we have an elaborate system set up, starting with COMSA that helps pre-meds apply and matriculate, we even have a rudimentary system set up now to help pre-meds shadow USDOs in Canada. We are also talking to each USDO school to see if we can increase the number of schools that accept Canadians, thereby also increasing the ranks.

We are also working on giving some talks at Canadian universities (much like the Caribbean/Aussie symposiums about going to med school outside of Canada), only we are going to expose our audience to USDO schools, and the similarities, differences, benefits, etc of going to a USDO school. This is planned for this summer (hopefully).

And a few more sensitive things I'm not at liberty to say.

Anyway, the point is, COMSA is geared towards increasing public awareness of what a USDO is, and increasing the ranks. We don't have the manpower to email each program director in Canada that may or may not know what USDO is, and explain to them that our education is equivalent. Also, only 3 provinces accept USDO carms application, so it's a better use of our time to advocate for access to Carms, rather than educating each of hundreds of program directors on what a USDO is (if that's what you think we should be doing). All I can say is that, we are more macroscale than that. Up to a point, it will still be up to the individual who wants to come back to Canada to apply to their desired Canadian residencies and talking to program directors, and explaining to them what a USDO is (if they didn't know).

As for your comment regarding skepticism and resistance to "osteopathy", I assume you are referring to OMM treatment specifically. Actually, I don't hold that view. My experience is that OMM is simply an extra tool set you can use to treat your patient, nothing less, nothing more. Do I think OMM is going to cure cancer? - No. But can I use OMM to better dx my patient, and relieve pain without the use of medication? - absolutely. I've seen and heard enough case presentations/ anecdotal things about what USDOs have done with OMM that I think there's really something there, and can be very beneficial.

As for DO osteopaths, well, I don't think that's going to be much of a problem either. Nothing a few short explanation won't solve.

The thing about USDO is that I don't think there will be a US-style DO school in canada anytime soon, because it will be just another med school.

BTW, which provinces allow you to do caRMS?

first round in ON, BC, 2nd round in Alberta (in the same ~40 seats reserved for IMGs).

Ya, the plan for a DO med school in Canada was tried but failed. There's simply not enough awareness of what it is, so the MSU dean and COA thought the best way to remedy that is to increase the ranks of US trained Canadian DOs. There won't be a DO med school in Canada for ages to come, too many barriers. Also, 20 million CAD dollars is kinda hard to come by.

first round in ON, BC, 2nd round in Alberta (in the same ~40 seats reserved for IMGs).

Ya, the plan for a DO med school in Canada was tried but failed. There's simply not enough awareness of what it is, so the MSU dean and COA thought the best way to remedy that is to increase the ranks of US trained Canadian DOs. There won't be a DO med school in Canada for ages to come, too many barriers. Also, 20 million CAD dollars is kinda hard to come by.

MSU plan sounds good, but 50k/year... Not everybody can pay or get such a loan to pay for it. The US is very expensive.

MSU plan sounds good, but 50k/year... Not everybody can pay or get such a loan to pay for it. The US is very expensive.

Agreed, the US is definitely not a path for people without the financial means.. we realize that, that's why we are working on sponsorship of Canadians to study in these places, and come back to Canada to serve the community that supported them, as well as to boost the ranks at home.

Agreed, the US is definitely not a path for people without the financial means.. we realize that, that's why we are working on sponsorship of Canadians to study in these places, and come back to Canada to serve the community that supported them, as well as to boost the ranks at home.

Can't you sponsor people from Montreal, it's considered in the North with respect to the US. :P

Can't you sponsor people from Montreal, it's considered in the North with respect to the US. :P

lol, I imagine the language would be a barrier. But we'd be happy to help set up a sponsor for applicants from Montreal/Quebec. Do they teach in French in Quebec med schools/residencies??

You mentioned lobbying to increase the number of provinces USDOs can apply to via carms. How is that coming along? I'm not sure why there are regional differences in the first place (1st round all the way to straight up denial).

At this point, I am not at liberty to say the specifics. But I agree, the rules across the land vary greatly. These things take time, and we are on it.

At this point, I am not at liberty to say the specifics. But I agree, the rules across the land vary greatly. These things take time, and we are on it.

No problem, I totally understand. I hope more provinces will sign on by 2016, which is when I'll be graduating. Really appreciate the excellent work you and COMSA are doing for future generations of USDOs in Canada. You are truly pioneers.

lol, I imagine the language would be a barrier. But we'd be happy to help set up a sponsor for applicants from Montreal/Quebec. Do they teach in French in Quebec med schools/residencies??

I'm not really exactly, but I think it's like this for all residencies except McGill. For UG med school it's French in all but McGill.

We are trying to directly reach northern communities such that they will sponsor students to study at DO schools in the US, provided that these students return to Canada to serve in the community that supported them for the number of years of support they received.

Wow, there's been a lot of changes since two years back when I learned about the DO route!

This idea sounds awesome! If it ever gets through, I wish I could be part of it-- if I get in, hopefully ;) Do you think it will be approved in a few years?

Got into MSUCOM today! Good day :)

Wow congrats ShootingStar! I guess I'm a bit late on that... :P

Can I ask what your stats are? The DO schools post their average GPA/MCATs, but I'm still unsure as to what marks Canadians need to get in. (I'm assuming much higher than their accepted average?)

Thanks!

which schools you recomend for a Canadian non traditional student.

I was looking into the Erie school but they adviced me to take a full year in Post Bacc program.. What you suggest?

Also, is the Michigcan discount for Canadian students guaranteed for the whole program?

Thanks.

LECOM doesnt seem canadian friendly to me. Not a lot of people got an interview from them this year and some of us had really good stats.

Pretty sure the michigan discount is guaranteed for the 4 years, its a pretty sweet deal considering that other OOS american students will be paying close to 77k a year.

My advice: Look at the DO thread on SDN and apply to DO schools that interviewed atleast 2-3 canadians (these include ccom, azcom, nsu, kcumb etc etc)

also, this LOR requirement is causing me griev.. If I take a course or two here, is it possible to get such a letter from the prof? thanks.

sure, it is possible. you could even contact any of the professors who taught you some science course you got a good grade in, and ask them to write you an academic LOR. but you would need an LOR from a physician too.

about biology, not sure, see which bio courses have lab components in your uni, and take them. Both the first year bio courses in my university had labs.

Guest Transparent

Was just browsing through the thread and LOL @ the douche-bags bashing DO like it's inferior to MD.

Think what you want but at least people getting a DO are getting a medical education and will be physicians while you sit on your ass here in Canada, can't even get into an Canadian/American MD school, and are probably headed off to a Caribbean MD school where you'll ultimately ether flunk out or never end up receiving a residency spot.

And from what I've read from SDN, admissions to DO school is getting just as competitive as admissions to low-mid tier MD schools.

Enjoy the heat in the Caribbean while you bash North American DO students! And for those douche-bags who end up, somehow, graduating from the Caribbean MD schools, have fun trying to hurdle through the gruesome residency matching process; while DOs sit back and laugh.

Any level-headed realistic Canadian applicant to Canadian MD and American MD schools should choose their back-up as American DO schools. The Caribbean should not even be considered at all.

• Arztin unpinned and pinned this topic