Premed 101 Forums

Applying To US DO Med Schools - FAQs, Guidance & Canadian Friendly Schools

Wow I desperately needed that clarification. Though, I really really would want to return to Canada I am going to go with assumption that BC will eventually go the way of ON on the CMG status. But, you are saying that at the very least you can get a 1 year visa to get the residency started and then SON? Sorry, not sure what that is.

But, assuming you get your residency done in the states at ACGME program you should be able to come to Canada right?

That F1-OPTI visa is only an option for those that attend a US based school, and it would be a secure get out of jail free card if you ever ended up getting unlucky with not getting the SON for the J1. You would of course have to then secure the J1 the next time around or an H1B etc.

Regardless, you would still be able to apply to CaRMS as any other IMG.  

Yes, US ACGME residencies and as long as you meet the specific length requirements and follow Health Canada's rules etc, you are fine to return to Canada.   

Though like I said, stick with Canadian schools first - then US schools.  Cost is also a big factor for US programs. Also, if you have any inclination to pursue a competitive specialty, then it would be even better to not further complicate things and try to stay in Canada.

• 2 months later...

HI everyone,

I have recently been accepted to NSUCOM, and am waiting on two other schools to reply back. I have been waitlisted at one school. I was wonder how long it takes to process the I-20 and F-1 Visa? I'd like to gauge if it is feasible to wait and for how long before I start with the Visa process in order to have everything processed on time and start medical school in August. Please let me know if you are aware.

Thank you

Regards

HI everyone,

I have recently been accepted to NSUCOM, and am waiting on two other schools to reply back. I have been waitlisted at one school. I was wonder how long it takes to process the I-20 and F-1 Visa? I'd like to gauge if it is feasible to wait and for how long before I start with the Visa process in order to have everything processed on time and start medical school in August. Please let me know if you are aware.

Thank you

Regards

Your school will take care of guiding you on that. Generally not too long. They're used to handling that.

NSU is a great program, one of the top DO programs for sure. Loads of Canadians in dent and opt at that school also.

Your school will take care of guiding you on that. Generally not too long. They're used to handling that.

NSU is a great program, one of the top DO programs for sure. Loads of Canadians in dent and opt at that school also.

Hi there,

Thanks a lot for your reply! I really appreciate it.

I am looking for some advice regarding applying for Line of Credit with CIBC as I am not sure about the process:

1.Do I first submit my deposits and intent to enroll form to NSU, in order to get a proof of enrollment and show it to CIBC?

2. Once I do submit my intent to enroll form, what's the next step - what do I get as a proof of enrollment?

3. How long does the loan process take? I would like to start my Line of credit application soon and have funds available for August.

If anyone could please answer this for me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks everyone.

Regards

Hi there,

Thanks a lot for your reply! I really appreciate it.

I am looking for some advice regarding applying for Line of Credit with CIBC as I am not sure about the process:

1.Do I first submit my deposits and intent to enroll form to NSU, in order to get a proof of enrollment and show it to CIBC?

2. Once I do submit my intent to enroll form, what's the next step - what do I get as a proof of enrollment?

3. How long does the loan process take? I would like to start my Line of credit application soon and have funds available for August.

If anyone could please answer this for me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks everyone.

Regards

1. Yes pay your seat deposit, then print off your acceptance letter and walk over to CIBC.

2. Generally the acceptance letter and print off of your enrollment deposit is fine. But if the bank is finicky or its a rep who doesnt deal much with med students(you should always ask for a rep who has experience with med students), then ask your school for an enrollement letter.

3. Loan process doesn't take too long, you fill out a few forms, they do a check (for you, you will have to go in with your co-signer since you're studying outside of Canada), and then maybe a week or two to be processed at the underwriters.

Thats about it. Don't forget to apply to your provincial studentaid/loan program too. You can get 10-15k interest free per year usually for the 4 years of the degree. Interest free until you gradaute.

1. Yes pay your seat deposit, then print off your acceptance letter and walk over to CIBC.

2. Generally the acceptance letter and print off of your enrollment deposit is fine. But if the bank is finicky or its a rep who doesnt deal much with med students(you should always ask for a rep who has experience with med students), then ask your school for an enrollement letter.

3. Loan process doesn't take too long, you fill out a few forms, they do a check (for you, you will have to go in with your co-signer since you're studying outside of Canada), and then maybe a week or two to be processed at the underwriters.

Thats about it. Don't forget to apply to your provincial studentaid/loan program too. You can get 10-15k interest free per year usually for the 4 years of the degree. Interest free until you gradaute.

Hi there, Thanks again for your reply! Would you know by any chance, how much they lend out to Canadian students studying the US? The max amount on their website says $275k but I think it is lesser than that for students going to the US. Please let me know if you are aware.

Thank you!

Regards

Hi there, Thanks again for your reply! Would you know by any chance, how much they lend out to Canadian students studying the US? The max amount on their website says $275k but I think it is lesser than that for students going to the US. Please let me know if you are aware.

Thank you!

Regards

You will have to have a cosigner for sure. But if you talk to the right banker, then they should give you the 275k at CIBC. Just be persistent and tell them other Canadians going to study in the us have received that. Do note that its generally not all of it at once. Its like 50k per year and then an additional 75k for during residency(50*4 +75). But once you get it you can ask them for it to be more front loaded etc. One Canadian has said they also got an increase from 275 to 315. They must have had a really good cosigner or collateral put down maybe. No idea.

You will have to have a cosigner for sure. But if you talk to the right banker, then they should give you the 275k at CIBC. Just be persistent and tell them other Canadians going to study in the us have received that. Do note that its generally not all of it at once. Its like 50k per year and then an additional 75k for during residency(50*4 +75). But once you get it you can ask them for it to be more front loaded etc. One Canadian has said they also got an increase from 275 to 315. They must have had a really good cosigner or collateral put down maybe. No idea.

I see - thanks for the information! Yes, I have started an application with CIBC, hope it goes well!

Regards

• 4 weeks later...

My sgpa hovers around 3.1-3.2. Cumulative a little over 3.5 (*upward trend). However, how poor are my chances if my physics pre-req is a C- for DO? Would you recommend retaking (online)? I'm sure I could manage to retake, but then that would mean I have to submit my application later than when applications open. How disadvantageous would it be submitting in august/early september? And, finally, should I retake 127/128/129/128? Was planning on doing it again for Canada...

My sgpa hovers around 3.1-3.2. Cumulative a little over 3.5 (*upward trend). However, how poor are my chances if my physics pre-req is a C- for DO? Would you recommend retaking (online)? I'm sure I could manage to retake, but then that would mean I have to submit my application later than when applications open. How disadvantageous would it be submitting in august/early september? And, finally, should I retake 127/128/129/128? Was planning on doing it again for Canada...

Retake the physics class, since i believe you need at least a C in a pre-req for it to count. Take it online is fine, you do NOT need to retake the class at the time of application, but strictly before matriculation. It would obviously be better if you had it done already when you applied, but not a big deal if you have it down during the cycle. 

Do you have a very strong upward trend? A 3.5 leads me to think you have pretty close to zero chance in Canada, unless you had 2 years of 3.9+ for the best 2 year schools or have IP status that would make you competitive in a given school in Canada. So unless that fits you, then do NOT retake the MCAT.  

The 512 MCAT will help carry you a bit with USDO programs, as it is a very decent score!

SUBMIT EARLY - have all your LORS ready to GO, and your application ready to be submitted on DAY 1. You have zero need to wait to submit. You can update your application with your physics retake later. 

Retake the physics class, since i believe you need at least a C in a pre-req for it to count. Take it online is fine, you do NOT need to retake the class at the time of application, but strictly before matriculation. It would obviously be better if you had it done already when you applied, but not a big deal if you have it down during the cycle. 

Do you have a very strong upward trend? A 3.5 leads me to think you have pretty close to zero chance in Canada, unless you had 2 years of 3.9+ for the best 2 year schools or have IP status that would make you competitive in a given school in Canada. So unless that fits you, then do NOT retake the MCAT.  

The 512 MCAT will help carry you a bit with USDO programs, as it is a very decent score!

SUBMIT EARLY - have all your LORS ready to GO, and your application ready to be submitted on DAY 1. You have zero need to wait to submit. You can update your application with your physics retake later. 

Hey, thanks for the reply.

I have a 3.9 last year and will achieve a 3.9 this year (5th year), so I was planning on reapplying again to western + queens (maybe mac) if I manage to score well on my MCAT one last time. Maybe I could go for a BC residency as well since my AQ is nearly 85%.

I'm going to try and shadow a DO in the states for a week after the end of this school year (already have an MD shadowing completed). In terms of getting science LORs...I have one, but not more than that. Most of my LORs are interdisciplinary. Should I just email old profs even if I've had little to no contact with them to request a reference?

Sorry, one more question. My finances are absolute crap so everything will have to be funded through loans. One of my parents has a relatively "decent salary" but, overall, my family has little capital. Can I even attend the school (should I get accepted) in this financial situation? My provincial student loans are high as is. If DO doesn't pan out, I'll be applying to Poland/Eastern Europe (eligible for citizenship) and carve my life out there. 

Hey, thanks for the reply.

I have a 3.9 last year and will achieve a 3.9 this year (5th year), so I was planning on reapplying again to western + queens (maybe mac) if I manage to score well on my MCAT one last time. Maybe I could go for a BC residency as well since my AQ is nearly 85%.

I'm going to try and shadow a DO in the states for a week after the end of this school year (already have an MD shadowing completed). In terms of getting science LORs...I have one, but not more than that. Most of my LORs are interdisciplinary. Should I just email old profs even if I've had little to no contact with them to request a reference?

Sorry, one more question. My finances are absolute crap so everything will have to be funded through loans. One of my parents has a relatively "decent salary" but, overall, my family has little capital. Can I even attend the school (should I get accepted) in this financial situation? My provincial student loans are high as is. If DO doesn't pan out, I'll be applying to Poland/Eastern Europe (eligible for citizenship) and carve my life out there. 

That makes a lot of sense then - if the MCAT is the only thing holding you back from Western/Queens then its definitely worth it to retake. Though, is there published cutoffs for Queens? I think a 512 should be more than fine for Queens- but I am unsure on what their process requires. UBC would be a good option if your overall GPA is strong enough - apply as an OOP requires 85% minimum, but that is far from any gaurantees for an interview.

If you think you have really strong above average Non-academics, then UBC could be an option worth exploring for moving for IP status, otherwise if your ECs are run of the mill, or weak then its definitely not worth it, especially coupled with a below average GPA. 

As for viability of DO programs if you only have access to student loans and line of credit - it all really depends on how the dollar settles and fluctuates. Do you have any saved personal earnings? And would your family be able to contribute on a yearly basis out of their incomes?  Thats very personal and for you to figure out on your own. I will say with the current dollar, it is difficult to swing a US med degree without at least some family support(even if its on a yearly basis, and not up front capital) or personal savings.

That makes a lot of sense then - if the MCAT is the only thing holding you back from Western/Queens then its definitely worth it to retake. Though, is there published cutoffs for Queens? I think a 512 should be more than fine for Queens- but I am unsure on what their process requires. UBC would be a good option if your overall GPA is strong enough - apply as an OOP requires 85% minimum, but that is far from any gaurantees for an interview.

If you think you have really strong above average Non-academics, then UBC could be an option worth exploring for moving for IP status, otherwise if your ECs are run of the mill, or weak then its definitely not worth it, especially coupled with a below average GPA. 

As for viability of DO programs if you only have access to student loans and line of credit - it all really depends on how the dollar settles and fluctuates. Do you have any saved personal earnings? And would your family be able to contribute on a yearly basis out of their incomes?  Thats very personal and for you to figure out on your own. I will say with the current dollar, it is difficult to swing a US med degree without at least some family support(even if its on a yearly basis, and not up front capital) or personal savings.

Well I guess my line of thinking was if I'm nearly at cut off for file review for OOP, I could maybe stand a better chance as an IP? My ECs as they stand are probably average, but I think I'll be taking the next year off to enhance them even more (although it'd be a hard sell due to fall application dates). Working more on my ECs alongside my MCAT could only really help my application for Queens...it is a black box as they say. 

Well, if I do take next year off I suppose I'll have those savings, but it's unlikely I'll earn over 25-30k which isn't even enough for a year's tuition. Quite the opposite - I help my family. I'd really count on having the line of credit cover my tuition and then going from there. If I can't even get tuition covered then studying in the US will be impossible. Unfortunate, so that's why going abroad might be my best shot.

Well I guess my line of thinking was if I'm nearly at cut off for file review for OOP, I could maybe stand a better chance as an IP? My ECs as they stand are probably average, but I think I'll be taking the next year off to enhance them even more (although it'd be a hard sell due to fall application dates). Working more on my ECs alongside my MCAT could only really help my application for Queens...it is a black box as they say. 

Well, if I do take next year off I suppose I'll have those savings, but it's unlikely I'll earn over 25-30k which isn't even enough for a year's tuition. Quite the opposite - I help my family. I'd really count on having the line of credit cover my tuition and then going from there. If I can't even get tuition covered then studying in the US will be impossible. Unfortunate, so that's why going abroad might be my best shot.

Yeah, being IP for UBC helps tremendously compared to OOP. The cut-off to get an interview is lower. Definitely throw in an application to ubc this upcoming cycle as an OOP if you meet the 85% cut-off, that way you can get some scores - even if the most likely scenario is that you don't get an interview.  This can help gauge if its worth it to move to BC for IP status or not for the following cycle. 

Finances are tough- and it seems that unless the dollar rises a bit, it will be a bit difficult to make it work in the US. I still think you should keep this option open. 

At the moment, your best bet is to retake the MCAT and keep improving your ECs for applications to UWO and Queens, and finish your 5th year strong.  Perhaps UBC might be in your cards, but hard to tell.  Otherwise, you can keep Poland as an option for the future, but youll have to do your own research on your potential citizneship, and residency opportunities over there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't think its right to report a match rate of 100% to Canadian DO schools if n=1....

Pretty sure that is more of an anecdotal situation rather than a concrete statistic

It says 100% match rate for Canadian DOs. I.e. Canadians studying at USDO programs.  Not to Canada specifically.

They could maybe make it more clearer for your benefit. 

As well "so far" refers to the data collection not yet being completed on those missing 2 individuals.

I see - thanks for the information! Yes, I have started an application with CIBC, hope it goes well!

Regards

Do you know of any low-income canadians who have got their loan approved? I was told that my dad's income wasn't sufficient, I am curious to learn if anyone has faced this issue...

Thanks a lot

Do you know of any low-income canadians who have got their loan approved? I was told that my dad's income wasn't sufficient, I am curious to learn if anyone has faced this issue...

Thanks a lot

It's definitely tougher with this CAD to USD.

I would suggest trying different banks. One thing I would say is, really sit down with your parents and go over the financials and cash flow. The LOC will NOT cover total COA. And you will need at least an additional 10-20K CAD per year in Cash flow to make it work, maybe more depending on the school.

Use Excel and plot it out.

And also, use a lower value Conversion. Assume the worst, i.e. if it dropped down to 60 cents, what would you do? etc etc

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.carms.ca/en/residency/r-1/eligibility-criteria/provincial-criteria/nova-scotia-new-brunswick-pei/

There apparently has been a change to the CARMS match criteria for Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and PEI. Whereas very recently they specifically stated that Osteopathic candidates are not eligible for the CARMs match (at all), they recently changed it such that grads of NON-LCME/CACMS accredited candidates can now apply to their parallel IMG match (just like Ontario!).

I take this to mean that effectively, USDOs can apply to PEI/NS/NB in the IMG stream.

http://www.carms.ca/en/residency/r-1/eligibility-criteria/provincial-criteria/nova-scotia-new-brunswick-pei/

There apparently has been a change to the CARMS match criteria for Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and PEI. Whereas very recently they specifically stated that Osteopathic candidates are not eligible for the CARMs match (at all), they recently changed it such that grads of NON-LCME/CACMS accredited candidates can now apply to their parallel IMG match (just like Ontario!).

I take this to mean that effectively, USDOs can apply to PEI/NS/NB in the IMG stream.

Dalhouise/Memorial combined had 9 FM spots and 1 psych spots in 2015.

Definitely worth it to throw in the apps if you're already applying to CaRMs, but probably not worth it if you aren't from there/ have no desire to live in the maritimes...because if you match you do a ROS.  Better off just doing FM in the US and then moving back to your home city after.  But if you'd rather save the extra year and don't mind being there(or are from there and it would be returning home for you), then definitely good news.

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I am planning to applying to this cycle and was wondering if I could get chanced!

cGPA/sGPA both ~3.45 to 3.5 (with replacement).

MCAT 510 (125/128/128/129).

BA from a Canadian University (psychology) 2 years ago.

250hrs as a research assistant (undergrad - no pubs) for psych and ~180hrs hospital volunteering in various capacities.

Since then been working at a lab full-time for a little over two years (quit early this year to go back to school to retake classes). 

I plan on being complete by end of Aug (I need to get one more science LOR and one DO letter).

Have shadowed a osteopathic physician for 8 hrs, have another shadow date coming up with another osteopathic physician for 8hrs (planning on asking this physician for a LOR).

My school list (in no particular order) is AZCOM, CCOM, KCUMB, LMU, MU, MSU, NSU, ROWAN, TOURONY, UNECOM and WESTERN.  Should I add any other schools?  Is primary complete end of Aug shooting myself in the foot (waiting on the LORs)?

Thanks for your advice!

Hi All,

I am planning to applying to this cycle and was wondering if I could get chanced!

cGPA/sGPA both ~3.45 to 3.5 (with replacement).

MCAT 510 (125/128/128/129).

BA from a Canadian University (psychology) 2 years ago.

250hrs as a research assistant (undergrad - no pubs) for psych and ~180hrs hospital volunteering in various capacities.

Since then been working at a lab full-time for a little over two years (quit early this year to go back to school to retake classes). 

I plan on being complete by end of Aug (I need to get one more science LOR and one DO letter).

Have shadowed a osteopathic physician for 8 hrs, have another shadow date coming up with another osteopathic physician for 8hrs (planning on asking this physician for a LOR).

My school list (in no particular order) is AZCOM, CCOM, KCUMB, LMU, MU, MSU, NSU, ROWAN, TOURONY, UNECOM and WESTERN.  Should I add any other schools?  Is primary complete end of Aug shooting myself in the foot (waiting on the LORs)?

Thanks for your advice!

Get your application in, now. Looks fine, will depend on how well you put your app together.

I would add Burnell-COM in New Mexico, they seem to be Canadian friendly.

• Arztin unpinned and pinned this topic