Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums

Applying To US DO Med Schools - FAQs, Guidance & Canadian Friendly Schools


Recommended Posts

Hi y’all! I was wondering I anyone knew if the merger of USMD and USDO residencies would affect chances of coming back to Canada to practice in anyway (good or bad)? And if anyone has updated stats of USDO‘s in Canada please let me know! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 857
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Canadian Initiative by Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MSUCOM) MSUCOM is currently in the 3rd year of their Canadian initiative - "intent to recruit 20-25 qualified Cana

Annual Bulletin! 2016 highlights: 2016 Canadian statistics - 64 matriculants, 263 applicants. Prince Edward Island and Saskatchewan update provincial policy - US DOs now have full u

DO schools are 4 years, so are MD schools. DO schools get ALL the topics covered in the MD schools, same textbooks and all. On top of the MD curriculum that we are getting (in DO school), DOs also get

13 hours ago, uam said:

Hi y’all! I was wondering I anyone knew if the merger of USMD and USDO residencies would affect chances of coming back to Canada to practice in anyway (good or bad)? And if anyone has updated stats of USDO‘s in Canada please let me know! 

It hasn't changed anything, since residency was pretty similar for both, once you're done residency, the requirements to come back are same for USMD and USDOs or residencies that were historically from either side, you sill have to do the exams etc or do the supervised practice route. I am also pretty sure it hasn't changed the status of medical students applying for residency, USDO are still classified as IMGs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/26/2021 at 12:43 AM, uam said:

Hi y’all! I was wondering I anyone knew if the merger of USMD and USDO residencies would affect chances of coming back to Canada to practice in anyway (good or bad)? And if anyone has updated stats of USDO‘s in Canada please let me know! 

It wouldn't affect your chance of coming back to Canada at all. Once you've graduated from an ACGME residency, you'll be able to apply for a license in Canada by virtue of having graduated from an ACGME residency and meeting provincial requirements. Whether you fit the criteria to get your license is another matter entirely.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi I was wondering if anyone knew about the importance of letters of recommendations. I haven't spoken to my undergrad science profs in years and I feel like the only thing they can base their recommendation on is how I performed in their class. I am hoping to speak to them one on one so they can get to know me a little bit better, but I am just a little worried about this part. 

I also wanted to know if its okay to apply at the end of May/ early June. I know the applications are open on May 5th but I am currently finishing up my graduate studies and won't be able to submit my application that early. And what chance do you think I have: my GPA for science and cumulative is around 3.55 and my MCAT is 511. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, backpacks1 said:

Hi I was wondering if anyone knew about the importance of letters of recommendations. I haven't spoken to my undergrad science profs in years and I feel like the only thing they can base their recommendation on is how I performed in their class. I am hoping to speak to them one on one so they can get to know me a little bit better, but I am just a little worried about this part. 

I also wanted to know if its okay to apply at the end of May/ early June. I know the applications are open on May 5th but I am currently finishing up my graduate studies and won't be able to submit my application that early. And what chance do you think I have: my GPA for science and cumulative is around 3.55 and my MCAT is 511. 

 

I'm assuming that 3.55 is your undergraduate GPA, as graduate GPA is not considered. That's really low for Canadians applying USMD. The advice is always to apply as early as possible, if you can apply early then send in your grad transcripts when you get them that would be better. And LORs are fairly important, you will need the minimum in terms of undergrad professors, if you are a ways out from undergrad just get ones to check the box but you'll need good letters from your graduate supervisor and other people who can talk about you better.

Overall, I feel chances of admission for you is relatively low with a 3.55, and adding on a later application and maybe not great LORs. Of course I don't know anything about your circumstances, ECs, research etc. so that could all be palliating factors.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/29/2021 at 10:45 AM, bearded frog said:

I'm assuming that 3.55 is your undergraduate GPA, as graduate GPA is not considered. That's really low for Canadians applying USMD. The advice is always to apply as early as possible, if you can apply early then send in your grad transcripts when you get them that would be better. And LORs are fairly important, you will need the minimum in terms of undergrad professors, if you are a ways out from undergrad just get ones to check the box but you'll need good letters from your graduate supervisor and other people who can talk about you better.

Overall, I feel chances of admission for you is relatively low with a 3.55, and adding on a later application and maybe not great LORs. Of course I don't know anything about your circumstances, ECs, research etc. so that could all be palliating factors.

damn is that really that low? I was going to apply this cycle with a 3.59 cGPA, with an upward trend which I know they care about... hope it works out for me

Link to post
Share on other sites

Again, you need the MSAR which gives you an idea of the 10% gpa of matriculates at US schools if you have a strong upward trend it’s better than the same gpa without an upward trend but it’s not worth that much unless you had a 2.0 first year then a bunch of 4.0s. Canadians need better stats than their American colleagues to get into USMD. Classically those stats were still less than what was needed for Canadian md, especially with a strong mcat. But the GPA arms race marches on

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/26/2021 at 12:43 AM, uam said:

Hi y’all! I was wondering I anyone knew if the merger of USMD and USDO residencies would affect chances of coming back to Canada to practice in anyway (good or bad)? And if anyone has updated stats of USDO‘s in Canada please let me know! 

The merger will improve your odds of coming back to Canada. The royal college only accepts ACGME residencies of equal or greater length to be the equivalent of Canadian training. They royal college does not accept AOA residencies as equivalent to Canadian training, regardless of length.

With the AOA/ACGME merger all of the previously AOA accredited programs will now become ACGME, substantially increasing the number of ACGME residencies that would allow you to come back to Canada. Many of the previous AOA programs will maintain their DO preference despite achieving ACGME accreditation. Overall, the AOA/ACGME merger will make coming back to Canada easier by virtue of making it easier to match into an ACGME accredited residency.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...