Premed 101 Forums

medicine vs dentistry

I don't get this sentence. Do you mean that most new grads are associates when they graduate or that they are associates after a few year practicing dentistry? If you mean that most new grads are associates right away, then you're absolutely wrong. Most new grads work at percentage (30-35%). I know most of the new dentists that just graduated from University of Montreal and quite a few from Laval and McGill as well.

Ops,that's what i meant,working at percentage,sorry for that dude!

Huh...Dentists stressing more than Doctors?Lol,first person i heard saying this.

Insurance?Dude we're talking about Dentists,not Neurosurgeons buring half their salaries in malpractice(expression.).

Getting sued?You must be REALLY bad at your job to worry about this...

Same position all day=pain?Dude get a clue of what you're saying,Dentists can use loupes,nothing is painful at all,especially when you DON'T sit all day like some movies may suggest,you talk with patients,you check images,you move around the clinic and more,you must remember that we're in 2010,not in the 1930s.

Not your own insurance but dealing with people's insurance or lack of. People trying to get out of paying their bills, not wanting to cover the difference... Getting sued, yes **** happens. Relatively speaking your in that chair 95% of time and back and tendinitis is common in dentists who have been doing it for 20+ years. If you read my post i said after residency. What stress does a GP have?

Not your own insurance but dealing with people's insurance or lack of. People trying to get out of paying their bills, not wanting to cover the difference... Getting sued, yes **** happens. Relatively speaking your in that chair 95% of time and back and tendinitis is common in dentists who have been doing it for 20+ years. If you read my post i said after residency. What stress does a GP have?

gee, someone resurrected this post. I thought it is dead..

anyways, there are always stress with every profession, you said family docs don't have stress? Are you a family doc? some docs are afraid that they miss an important diagnosis for patient that can potentially be life threatening. Some found dealing with drug seeker stressful. I known doc missed a dx caused a patient to stroke out.

Yes, overhead sucks in dentistry because of the equipment being used and such. solo family doc had a overhead of 30% (excluding health team or other practice model)... Actually if you read CMPA vs PLP for RCDSO, MD get sued more often then DDS, most of the time DDS get reprimanded is for fraud, while MD gets reprimanded for malpractice.....

Also, malpractice issurance cost way more for MD than DDS.....

Yes Family Docs now can make 200k+ with family health team (FHIG, FPO, etc) remember you have to be on call and cover weekend within your group in order to be in that funding model. As well, you get a deduction if your patient goes to a walkin clinic for care. It is complicated. It is not as easy as comparing i work at job A for x amount / hour vs job b.

Remember there are pros and cons with each profession, no one is better than the other. it just depends what you think will suit you the best. If you are truly chasing a profession for money, i think business is better, because you don't have to put in at least 8 years of debt before earning a penny.

Please let just put this debate to rest.

________

FORD C170 PLATFORM HISTORY

gee, someone resurrected this post. I thought it is dead..

anyways, there are always stress with every profession, you said family docs don't have stress? Are you a family doc? some docs are afraid that they miss an important diagnosis for patient that can potentially be life threatening. Some found dealing with drug seeker stressful. I known doc missed a dx caused a patient to stroke out.

Yes, overhead sucks in dentistry because of the equipment being used and such. solo family doc had a overhead of 30% (excluding health team or other practice model)... Actually if you read CMPA vs PLP for RCDSO, MD get sued more often then DDS, most of the time DDS get reprimanded is for fraud, while MD gets reprimanded for malpractice.....

Also, malpractice issurance cost way more for MD than DDS.....

Yes Family Docs now can make 200k+ with family health team (FHIG, FPO, etc) remember you have to be on call and cover weekend within your group in order to be in that funding model. As well, you get a deduction if your patient goes to a walkin clinic for care. It is complicated. It is not as easy as comparing i work at job A for x amount / hour vs job b.

Remember there are pros and cons with each profession, no one is better than the other. it just depends what you think will suit you the best. If you are truly chasing a profession for money, i think business is better, because you don't have to put in at least 8 years of debt before earning a penny.

Please let just put this debate to rest.

Let's. I just thought i'd say something when someone makes it seem like making 500k a year take home pay is almost the norm.

I am actually enjoying this debate, as it is one of the questions I often ask myself - don't put it to rest - keeep it going!

I don't mind the debate / questions about the profession

But debate about who makes more or who hold more prestige is pointless, is like comparing which is a better fruits apples vs. oranges or who is a better athlete baseball players vs. basketball players! Remember avg salary is only an average, the key is looking at the SD... Is like say CEO of OPG makes 2.6 millions.... while avg canadian governmental agencies CEO is only ~400k

If ppl have questions about dentistry or medicine, for example, work hours, type of patient care, etc. I think that is a good discussion. let me know. I will try my best to answer them truthfully via PM...

________

Honda Xr75

I don't mind the debate / questions about the profession

But debate about who makes more or who hold more prestige is pointless, is like comparing which is a better fruits apples vs. oranges or who is a better athlete baseball players vs. basketball players! Remember avg salary is only an average, the key is looking at the SD... Is like say CEO of OPG makes 2.6 millions.... while avg canadian governmental agencies CEO is only ~400k

If ppl have questions about dentistry or medicine, for example, work hours, type of patient care, etc. I think that is a good discussion. let me know. I will try my best to answer them truthfully via PM...

I understand where you're coming from. Also I don't want to sound rude but if you don't want to participate in a debate, just don't participate but don't tell people not to debate anymore, it's just against the philosophy of the forum.

I agree with Koft,both professions have their advantages and disadvantages,just pick the one that suits you best.

Personally i like both fields and if i ever enter Dentistry in the future,i'll do everything in my power to enter an OMS Residency in the U.S.(Apparently it's definitely less competitive than Orthodontics.)

With Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery,you have freedom to do both Medicine and Dentistry,work in Hospitals and deal with both problem branches or open my own clinic with less hassle and get a balanced overhead (40-50%) .

If i enter Medicine i'll probably aim Surgery,but as thebouque and some others suggested,opinions change a lot during the studies.

Just a question,can a Dentist work in the U.S. ?Or boards and diploma aren't recognized there ?

You'll have to take the american (and sometimes state specific) licensing exams if you're a canadian dentist who wants to work in the states.

Alright thanks,can i take both Canada/U.S. exams so i will be able to practice in both Countries?

I heard the same thing. I wonder why that is though and not the opposite

Well,Orthodontics is known to be an easy money maker and it's only a 3 years residency.In fact,lots of U.S./Canadian students are ready to burn 60k/year on some Orthodontic program

OMS is a lot more demanding and we're talking about 4-5 years with masters included and 6 years minimum with Masters/MD included.

OMS is a lot more demanding

True

And I doubt that the orthos have the calls that OMS have, at least during residency. OMS have to rotate through many medical and surgical specialties and they have lots of calls in their OMS rotations as well. OMS is really like any other surgical residency, ie extremely demanding and time consuming.

hmm I don't think it's as simple as that...then we can say the same thing about medicine kind of. less people are getting sick than before due to all those new medications and preventive measures and that's why the average life expectancy has been going up. but this is also the reason why more people will need to see dentists because we need to keep our teeths for longer. the older we get, the greater the chance to see the dentist.

hmm I don't think it's as simple as that...then we can say the same thing about medicine kind of. less people are getting sick than before due to all those new medications and preventive measures and that's why the average life expectancy has been going up. but this is also the reason why more people will need to see dentists because we need to keep our teeths for longer. the older we get, the greater the chance to see the dentist.

Agreed,but due to the future of this crazy and unpredictable economy,Physicians,Dentists,Pharmacists along with most other health professionals will have to accept salary decreases sooner or later...

ESPECIALLY if that insane North American Union project comes to light:(

I still am apprehensively pessimistic about the future of dents...what will it be like in 20 years.

I have 1 cavity at the same age my father had 11. People are taking better care of their teeth, will dentists really be needed as greatly in the future??

I know "more dentists are retiring than graduating" but it's still concerning.

I was talking to a dentist I shadowed and we were discussing how a lot of dentists work four day weeks (himself included) - he said it wasn't a lifestyle thing- it was just too difficult to fill up a full week's roster - and the same goes for a lot of other dentists out there...

I'm not certain if more dentists are retiring than graduating. Even if that were the case, Canada has just opened up the profession to any foreign dentist who can pass a series of tests. There used to be a bottleneck on the number of new dentists starting each year - now there is no limit.

I'm not certain if more dentists are retiring than graduating. Even if that were the case, Canada has just opened up the profession to any foreign dentist who can pass a series of tests. There used to be a bottleneck on the number of new dentists starting each year - now there is no limit.

If you think Canada is worse,try graduating in California,where they used to accept EVERY Dentist form other states without exams(well,they don't have to re-take it)...

It was so hardcore that California is now hell for D-School grads and people can barely find a job even if they are Specializing,in GP,it's even worse.

Job prospects in Canada will always be balanced,since the number of grads each year is constant and there not a crap load of over seas Dentists establishing here(Especially when they can move to U.S.)

Lol all your posts are so discouraging!!!

Lol all your posts are so discouraging!!!

This is why you should try everything to specialize in Dentistry,safer income.

But 80% of what this guy said is utterly wrong,a lot,if not MOST foreign Dentists who want to practice in N.A. will try going to U.S. first(not that hard.)

Yes,several sources reveal that more Dentists are retiring than graduating,even if the difference is minimal,still,the market for Dentists is going strong and won't suffer from economy unless Wall Street stocks hit 0 and that everyone becomes broke.

I don't know - if you look at posts on dentaltown outlook is pretty bleak. Everyone says you need to go rural - but I (and most others I'm sure) have no intention in living in a city of 2,000 ppl.

I wonder what prospects are like in Sydney, Australia?

Go rural if you want to establish,stay in Big cities if you want to be salaried,if you can't find permanent spots,several clinics offer part time spots,working at 2 clinics during the week will be like working full time.

For Australia,well,it's decent and definitely better than Medicine(More students graduating than there is Residency spots.)...

What ever you do,DON'T move to Cali U.S. unless you're loaded with money and no debts to establish a practice and do promotion.

Archived