Premed 101 Forums

To Waitlisters: What are you doing next year if you don't get in this year?

DXO

Good question. I don't really know. Start a Masters, do research for a year and apply again... if that doesnt work, then screw it... write the GMAT. lol

But in all honesty, I'd be curious to know what other ppl's plans are...

I'm trying to finish my M.Sc. early in case I get in, and studying for the MCAT in case I don't. There aren't enough hours in the day...

If I don't get in, I might try to postpone my defence and focus on improving my application (and find a job of course).

I was accepted to a two-year accelerated nursing program. I'm glad that I had enough foresight to choose a Plan B I will be passionate about, but I'm not nearly finished with medicine (lol). It guilts me a little to be starting a nursing program without giving up on medicine, because if I am lucky enough to get into med eventually then I'll have taken a seat from a potential nursing student. Oh well. I have to worry about my own future too. There are no guarantees.

Last year when I applied to medicine, I also applied to SLP, OT, PT and clinical psychology (got accepted to all of them, but declined from medicine)

But after a long, hard thought about having to endure 2 years of something that I didn't really want to do, I decided to turn them down and to take a risk by finding a job (during the worst economic downturn in history). Luckily, I found a great research job (with an excellent boss, wonderful coworkers, and friendly staff).

Sometimes...you just gotta take a risk. I'm glad I did what I did.

Will pursue a different professional undergrad (already accepted), secured a seat for a September MCAT (now need to start studying), and am continuing with my too-full slate of EC's and part time work!

Lately, my life is all about plans B through E...but they all end up at plan A :)

Last year when I applied to medicine, I also applied to SLP, OT, PT and clinical psychology (got accepted to all of them, but declined from medicine)

But after a long, hard thought about having to endure 2 years of something that I didn't really want to do, I decided to turn them down and to take a risk by finding a job (during the worst economic downturn in history). Luckily, I found a great research job (with an excellent boss, wonderful coworkers, and friendly staff).

Sometimes...you just gotta take a risk. I'm glad I did what I did.

When did you apply for the job?

When did you apply for the job?

I started applying to all the hospital research positions I saw right after I finished my last exam. Got 2 interviews and 1 acceptance for jobs.

Also, one of my previous profs (who is my mentor) let me work in her lab doing some things here and there for her to tide me over until I found a job.

There are lots of postings now, and many more pop up in August since most research positions are 1 year contracts (which are perfect for med applicants). Plus many PI's are understanding if you get into med and will allow you to break the contract without any hit to the income you've earned.

Plus, I really loved my job at the hospital. Everyday, I was working with surgeons, doctors, residents, med students/clerks, other research staff, other allied health professionals, other doctors, and basically anyone that worked in the hospital. It was a really great experience (and MANY of those people helped me prep for my interview, especially the med students, clerks and residents).

I honestly think that if I did more school I would not have gotten in, but because of the work experience and help I got at work, I was able to do well in my interview (although I felt the interview didn't go well).

But I know I got really lucky landing such a great position (pay wasn't the greatest, but the experience was priceless), but there are many great research positions out there.

BTW, this is all from a Toronto perspective

I have a hospital research job too. It's not the greatest pay but the experience is wonderful. I'm also going to do something internationally.

Also got into nursing, education, SLP, OT and physio. My heart is not into those careers so I will work and hope for a waitlist offer to NOSM. I'm also going to write the MCAT.

I started applying to all the hospital research positions I saw right after I finished my last exam. Got 2 interviews and 1 acceptance for jobs.

Also, one of my previous profs (who is my mentor) let me work in her lab doing some things here and there for her to tide me over until I found a job.

There are lots of postings now, and many more pop up in August since most research positions are 1 year contracts (which are perfect for med applicants). Plus many PI's are understanding if you get into med and will allow you to break the contract without any hit to the income you've earned.

Plus, I really loved my job at the hospital. Everyday, I was working with surgeons, doctors, residents, med students/clerks, other research staff, other allied health professionals, other doctors, and basically anyone that worked in the hospital. It was a really great experience (and MANY of those people helped me prep for my interview, especially the med students, clerks and residents).

I honestly think that if I did more school I would not have gotten in, but because of the work experience and help I got at work, I was able to do well in my interview (although I felt the interview didn't go well).

But I know I got really lucky landing such a great position (pay wasn't the greatest, but the experience was priceless), but there are many great research positions out there.

BTW, this is all from a Toronto perspective

Just curious, which hospital was this?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm currently working full time for a company in downtown. I think I'll just save up money for the year. I'm applying to a states school for next year. I was accepted to the University of Queensland last January but had to return to attend interviews for Canadian schools and could not continue. I now know I wouldn't move that far, so the states is prob best for me. I'll be going to Europe in September to do some volunteer work. Applying again this year. No more research though, I've got over 12 months of it. I think it will be nice to have a year off! It's really cool to see everyone's plans, it's pretty exciting! Anybody decided to start med at an overseas school in January?

You guys are giving me some great ideas.

Would it be safe to say that if someone's academic part is strong (and he only wants to go into medicine), he/she should not spend more years doing a degree?

Unless it is to complete pre-reqs so you can apply to more schools, I'd say no. Build up your application, work on your interview/interpersonal skills, etc... Those are the things you need to get in, the GPA/MCAT are just cutoffs that get you interviews (at most schools in Canada)

Archived