Premed 101 Forums

OOP Undergrad

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if U of C looked at undergrad programs from different out of province universities differently. Im currently attending a smaller univerisity in BC and was just wondering if this hinders my application compared to similar students applying from a more prestigious university (UBC).

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if U of C looked at undergrad programs from different out of province universities differently. Im currently attending a smaller univerisity in BC and was just wondering if this hinders my application compared to similar students applying from a more prestigious university (UBC).

Thanks!

Nope as long as its an accredited post secondary institution they do not care. You are bunched together in the OOP stream but no priority is given to different schools - only your GPA and MCAT matters to make the interview cutoffs (and of course at least average extracurriculars). You can find a grade/GPA conversion table in the U of C med application manual off of their website.

In general most medical schools do not "prioritize" one university or college over another but the location does matter as it determines whether you are IP or OOP...the only time the actual school may be beneficial/harmful to an application is during CaRMS/getting a residency position but that is years down the line and even then plays a smaller role in the process.

Archived