Premed 101 Forums

Wait list movement Questions

Does anyone know, historically, when the wait list stops moving and how good of an indicator premed101 is for the number of acceptees?

Sorry I'm a little OCD about things like this and using statistics helps put my mind at ease.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but last year the firm acceptances were made 3 weeks after the initial wave? And last year the acceptances ended sometime in July? So this year should we expect the wait list to stop moving end of June? And if anyone knows of some statistic as to how many spots are filled after the initial wave of wait list offers, that would be uber.

I'm set on Mac, I loved the presentation and sadly, was wait listed :( But I've already had some potential supervisors lined up for Masters beginning Sept. 2010 and they all really want some sort of idea of when I could 100% commit (I'm sure this is an issue for A LOT of people). If I keep delaying my commitment, I may lose my top choices for masters profs (which again, I'm sure is another issue for a lot of people). After the 2 years, Mac would be my first choice yet again!

Any feedback would be appreciated to put my OCD mind at ease :D

I think the lack of a response to your post is reflective of the fact that many of the answers to your questions are not known. :confused:

As far as I'm aware, there are no published statistics re: the information you seek (e.g. number of initial offers made, number of offers made from the waitlist). Unfortunately, it's hard (read: impossible) to predict/determine your position on the wait-list. :(

The situation is complicated, this cycle, because of some changes in the OMSAS (e.g. the removal of provisional acceptances). For this reason, even if historical data was available for you to examine, I'm not sure that it would be representative of current/future trends (i.e. it may be useless information).

I think it's excellent that you have a solid alternate plan, this year. Are your potential research supervisors aware that you are vying for a spot in medical school? If I were you, I'd explain my situation to them, in a forthright manner (hopefully for you, they are understanding supervisors :P).

Perhaps you could also e-mail Wendy Edge, briefly explain your situation, and ask her if she expects when the entering class will be full (this may be a long shot, but it's still worth a try). If she's able to give you an answer, then at least you would be able to give your potential supervisors a timeline.

All that said, I hope it works out for you! :)

Archived