Premed 101 Forums

Wait for new MCAT results before applying?

Hi everyone,

I have been looking into applying to the US and understand it is a rolling admissions process. I have a 32 MCAT but only a 3.7 gpa. I am rewriting the MCAT this summer and hope to improve my score. Is it worth it to wait for the new score or it is a risk to apply later than July?

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

I have been looking into applying to the US and understand it is a rolling admissions process. I have a 32 MCAT but only a 3.7 gpa. I am rewriting the MCAT this summer and hope to improve my score. Is it worth it to wait for the new score or it is a risk to apply later than July?

Thanks!

When did you schedule your MCAT for? 32 MCAT is fairly respectable and might be ok with your 3.7 if you're aiming for mid-low tier. If you want higher ranked schools, you'll have to rewrite.

Of course, it also depends on the strengths of your ECs.

Thanks for the reply

I am re-writing early July so will have my new scores by the beginning of August hopefully.

In terms of "tiers" How do you know which tier a school is in aside from the ones that are obviously the high ones like Harvard, Hopkins etc?

Thanks for the reply

I am re-writing early July so will have my new scores by the beginning of August hopefully.

In terms of "tiers" How do you know which tier a school is in aside from the ones that are obviously the high ones like Harvard, Hopkins etc?

There's no "real" tiers of medical schools. Many ppl just go by USNews rankings, although everyone can tell you how "inaccurate" they are because they're by Research dollars.

I would say that you would get an equivalent MD education in any school, but just the amount of research you'd be exposed to is different across "higher ranked" schools.

Archived