Premed 101 Forums

$450 all inclusive-room for rent

FABS

Hi Meds 2014

I live at the Lees Ave apts in a 2 bedroom apt

I am renting out the master bedroom with walk in closet for $450 all inclusive

Indoor parking is an extra $50/month

I have a small dog named Simba so you must like dogs :)

The building has other Med Students in it, and there is a free shuttle that goes to RGN every 20 minutes Mon-Fri

Email fallibha@gmail.com for more info :)

Hi Viscous

Lees ave has 5 different apts, it is located on the transit way, one stop from Hurdman and one stop from uOttawa main campus (so centrally located).

It is a 2-3 minute bus ride to uottawa main campus, 5 minute shuttle ride to uOttawa, 15 minute shuttle ride to RGN, or a 10 minute walk to uOttawa and a 30 minute walk to RGN.

Cabs to downtown are $8, and to elgin are $5 :) Plus, I have a car for grocery/shopping runs.

man that looks pretty good fabs

dog hair ruffles up my allergies though

i might just rent an apartment for myself there maybe

how much is it generally for the lees ave apmts? $1000/month if i dont want to share?

edit

ohhh, thanks julie

Guest viscous

Are you guys ok with paying $1000 for an apartment? I am thinking that if I can share, I can reduce it to $500 ... savings of $500 will take the huge burden off

I'm leaning towards down town but I'm having a hell of a time finding single bedrooms with a balcony (a bit specific I know... but I'll have withdrawl issues if I can't bbq); I've had room mates for 8 years so I'm somewhat keen to go it solo for the first year.

Guest viscous
id hate to spend $1000 a month but i don't know if i can find a responsible roomie. some privacy is nice as well

:'(

im still looking and feeling divided b/w RGN & main campus

share ur thoughts, visc :)

I am having same concern with finding a good roomie.

Personally, I am leaning towards living close to RGN. This will allow me to not depend on a car. Moreover, its always nice if classes are at a walking distance. Being away from downtown might also decrease rent prices, even if only by a bit.

In addition people are telling me that ottawa winters are deadly. I just want to minimize my exposure to snow because my body doesnt go well with winters. That can only be done by living close to RGN.

with living near RGN, i dont think i can assume i can find the absolute closest house

most likely about 800-1000 metres will be the walking distance to RGN with a somewhat close one (go googlemaps! :D)

and thats about 15~ minutes of walking

Personally, I am leaning towards living close to RGN. This will allow me to not depend on a car. Moreover, its always nice if classes are at a walking distance. Being away from downtown might also decrease rent prices, even if only by a bit.

In addition people are telling me that ottawa winters are deadly. I just want to minimize my exposure to snow because my body doesnt go well with winters. That can only be done by living close to RGN.

I'm going to suggest the opposites of what you said are also possible. You might actually want a car more if you live near RGN, as you're less likely to be within walking distance to groceries, stores, etc. Also, if you were that near RGN you'd be walking to school, which would increase your exposure to the winter vs. my 5 min walk to the shuttle which takes me straight to RGN.

I'm going to suggest the opposites of what you said are also possible. You might actually want a car more if you live near RGN, as you're less likely to be within walking distance to groceries, stores, etc. Also, if you were that near RGN you'd be walking to school, which would increase your exposure to the winter vs. my 5 min walk to the shuttle which takes me straight to RGN.

I second that. I think Lees is very convenient to go without a car. I did so for the first 2 yrs. You're right on the transitway, so buses are readily available to go most anywhere, including groceries, and you're a 10-15 min. walk from downtown - nice if you go out. It's a 10-15 min bike ride to RGN (great shortcuts make that possible) and the shuttle stops right by your building, so that you can take either the shuttle or the 16 to go to RGN, whichever comes first. Living close to school is great for going to school, but it's pretty isolated to go anywhere else. Unless your roommate has a car & will drive you around, though (which is often the case in people who live close to school), then it's quite feasible.

Guest viscous

good points kinemed. lol.

I guess i'd be willing to expose myself to snow for 5 mins just to walk to RGN from my place. hard decisions.

I guess i'd be willing to expose myself to snow for 5 mins just to walk to RGN from my place. hard decisions.

Obviously being a 5 min walk from RGN is prime when you're going to class in the morning. I'm certainly not going to claim that I'm going to love getting up earlier, with a longer commute, since I'm living downtown!

I am having same concern with finding a good roomie.

Hey guys,

I am just wondering how cold is Ottawa winter. I am from Vancouver. Here the coldest period of winter that I had experienced is around -5 Celsius, so I don't have any very thick jacket. I guess I need to get one or two big winter jacket before I go there.

For housing, does U of Ottawa has student residence? and How is it?

Any suggestion is much appreciated!

Agreed

im from Vancouver originally and my first year in a Toronto/Ottawa winter was painful, but you eventually get used to it

buy a good winter jacket (i got one of those cute Aritzia ones that goes down to the knees)... that jacket, leggings under sweats, and Uggs/FUggs (fake Uggs) have been life savers :)

and remember Uggs are NOT waterproof, so dont wear them in a snow storm!

as for lees, I also agree, I have a car and typically use it most to get to school on weekends to study and for groceries..but to get to school, the shuttle rocks, it takes you almost door to door...and lees is walking distance to everything (including Elgin st, the best place in all of Ottawa)

plus you are 5 mins from the canal which is gorgeous to jog on, 5 mins from main campus and 15 from downtown/market :)

however, when 3rd year comes around, ive heard the best place to live is near RGN or Civic area...

Guest viscous

Hi FABS, if it is that cold down there, I am assuming there is no nightlife in ottawa? What do you guys do to keep your sanity in winters?

Being from Ottawa, and since these are general questions, I'll answer them.

Thanks FABS for the detailed description. Man, it sounds cold. Haha, this may sound stupid. Since you have to wear so much during the winter, do you guys take Vitamin D supplement to ensure adequate calcium absorption? :rolleyes:
Though it's cold, it's still sunny. Most people (in good general health) don't take more vitD in the winter. And while it's cold, most days it's not so terrible. This winter was actually fairly mild (like -20).

Hi FABS, if it is that cold down there, I am assuming there is no nightlife in ottawa? What do you guys do to keep your sanity in winters?
Just because it's cold doesn't mean that people don't go out! lol. There's still plenty of nightlife in the winter.

hehe i love the question: do we live in igloos :P

there is great nightlife all year round in Ottawa! Just a big coat check line

as far as the weather goes, (and anyone out there correct me if im wrong) but the trend typically follows:

Early Oct-starts getting chilly (pack away the shorts)

Late Dec-first snowfall

Jan/Feb- -20ish and frigid in the strong winds (but only really snows 1/week if even, and the sun is out all the time, its gorgeous), just walk fast and bundle up

march/april-starts getting warmer, but more snow comes

may-sunshine and warm temps!!!

June-GORGEOUS!

july/aug-humid as hell

and for those from Vancouver, it barely rains in Ottawa...

hehe i love the question: do we live in igloos :P

there is great nightlife all year round in Ottawa! Just a big coat check line

as far as the weather goes, (and anyone out there correct me if im wrong) but the trend typically follows:

Early Oct-starts getting chilly (pack away the shorts)

Late Dec-first snowfall

Jan/Feb- -20ish and frigid in the strong winds (but only really snows 1/week if even, and the sun is out all the time, its gorgeous), just walk fast and bundle up

march/april-starts getting warmer, but more snow comes

may-sunshine and warm temps!!!

June-GORGEOUS!

july/aug-humid as hell

You could get a job at the weather network. :P

and for those from Vancouver, it barely rains in Ottawa...
...except for this month. It's been weird. But it's nothing like Vancouver/Victoria.

Archived