Premed 101 Forums

Going to Ireland or UK, coming back to Canada

Guest duffman1234

Guest duffman1234

Hey guys,

ive been reading the forums for a while and i just want to make sure of some stuff

From what i've read so far, it's pretty hard to come back for residency in Canada. Has that changed at all? since ive read some pretty old posts. Is it different for the Atlantic Bridge Program??

Also, what's the return of service deal?

and can some explain the "Canadians studying abroad"

http://www.healthforceontario.ca/Work/OutsideOntario/PhysiciansOutsideOntario/CanadiansStudyingAbroad.aspx

im really interested in studying in Ireland or England, but i'd really want to come back to Canada to practice

thanks!

Short answer, yes its changed a lot. The last year we Irish students got hard data from CaRMS was 2008, and that was a 67% successful match rate across the Irish Medical Schools. Subjectively, the rate has gotten better since 2008. It is certainly the easiest International destination from which to return to Canada.

"Canadians studying abroad (CMG)" are Canadian citizens studying outside of Canada or the US. Healthforce Ontario uses that term to distiguish CMGs from 'International Medical Graduates," people who are immigrating to Canada on also went to medical school outside of Canada. The 'Yes, You Can Practise Medicine in Ontario!' at the top of that page is a little optimistic. There are a lot of hoops to jump through; and there's no guarantee. But there is a good chance if you're coming from Ireland or the UK right now. No one knows if this will improve in the future but we're all hoping it does.

ROS: depends on the province, as does overall chance of matching back. In Ontario, the most recent update is that you must practice in an area outside of downtown Toronto or Ottawa.

There's a bit more active discussion on this topic in general over at:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=142

Guest duffman1234
Short answer, yes its changed a lot. The last year we Irish students got hard data from CaRMS was 2008, and that was a 67% successful match rate across the Irish Medical Schools. Subjectively, the rate has gotten better since 2008. It is certainly the easiest International destination from which to return to Canada.

"Canadians studying abroad (CMG)" are Canadian citizens studying outside of Canada or the US. Healthforce Ontario uses that term to distiguish CMGs from 'International Medical Graduates," people who are immigrating to Canada on also went to medical school outside of Canada. The 'Yes, You Can Practise Medicine in Ontario!' at the top of that page is a little optimistic. There are a lot of hoops to jump through; and there's no guarantee. But there is a good chance if you're coming from Ireland or the UK right now. No one knows if this will improve in the future but we're all hoping it does.

ROS: depends on the province, as does overall chance of matching back. In Ontario, the most recent update is that you must practice in an area outside of downtown Toronto or Ottawa.

There's a bit more active discussion on this topic in general over at:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=142

thank you for the reply :)

I'm definitely considering it, but i guess the 2 cons to it would be the cost and the uncertainty of matching residency. I really hope it gets easier, isn't the idea that Ontario needs more doctors? I guess we'll see

It is certainly the easiest International destination from which to return to Canada.

that's debatable. it was probably true in the past but i reckon that Canadian grads from Aussie, and probably the top Carib, schools matched at a comparable rate to the Canadian Irish grads back home in the 2010 match. bottom line though is that you will need to put in a lot of work to match back home.

OP, i'm not aware of your particular situation re: grades/MCAT but if getting into a Canadian/American school is unrealistic then i think you should look at international schools that offer the best chance of getting any training position, in Canada or abroad. matching through CaRMS from an international school is by no means certain; having the option of going to the States/pursuing training where you were educated is a must if you are going the international route. not sure if this is an option for you but IMO Australian schools are your best bet in this regard.

Archived