Premed 101 Forums

Parking and Housing near Foothills

I am completely new to the Calgary area and I don't know much about how parking works. I phoned both Foothills hospital and the U of C Parking Services, but both didn't give me any straightforward answers. I am looking for parking near the medical school. Where do most med students park? I tried figuring out which lots they could use, but the nearest lot seems Lot 57, and that looks pretty far away.

Also, for housing, I phoned residence services, and they believe I'm a grad student, but that doesn't make much sense because I don't have an undergrad degree and I though MD was considered undergrad. Do any med students live on res? Or do most just rent an apartment near Foothills? Any help is appreciated, thanks!

I don't know much about res. on campus but you're probably better off renting a place in some of the apartments/condos in the vicinity of the foothills hospital notably: St. Andrews, Patrician Village, Pointe McKay etc.

I currently work in a lab here at the foothills hospital and this is what i can tell you about parking. The last time i inquired, the parking office said there was no parking for medical students unless you were a clerk(3rd yr med student that is). Even if you got parking it'll be offsite on lots 57/58/59 by the Alberta Children's Hospital but rumor has it that those lots are in the process of been closed or at least the shuttles wont be running anymore.

Alternatively, if you have the cash you can park for $10/day, i believe, in lot 6 or find a place to rent in one of those areas i mentioned and it's only some 10/15min walk to the hospital.

Cheers!!

I am completely new to the Calgary area and I don't know much about how parking works. I phoned both Foothills hospital and the U of C Parking Services, but both didn't give me any straightforward answers. I am looking for parking near the medical school. Where do most med students park?

If you're cheap (most med students), you park at the McMahon stadium parking lot for free and walk 10 minutes to the medical school. Some also park in surrounding residential neighbourhoods.

Alternately, you can pay for public parking. I don't most students do that only occasionally.

Also, for housing, I phoned residence services, and they believe I'm a grad student, but that doesn't make much sense because I don't have an undergrad degree and I though MD was considered undergrad.

You're correct, and they're wrong.

Do any med students live on res?

The odd med student lives in residence for August while they try to find something more permanent. This is very rare. I don't know anyone who's chosen to live in residence any longer than that.

Or do most just rent an apartment near Foothills?

That's what most do.

If you're cheap (most med students), you park at the McMahon stadium parking lot for free and walk 10 minutes to the medical school. Some also park in surrounding residential neighbourhoods.

Is the parking lot usually very full or can parking be found fairly easily in the mornings?

This is wrong. McMahon stadium is parking permit parking but it's relatively cheap (120$ per semester, about 10 minute walk). Surrounding residential neighborhoods are no parking zones other than scattered 2 hour parking zones. It IS patrolled, beware.

This is wrong. McMahon stadium is parking permit parking but it's relatively cheap (120$ per semester, about 10 minute walk). Surrounding residential neighborhoods are no parking zones other than scattered 2 hour parking zones. It IS patrolled, beware.

You are totally right. McMahon parking is not free and also the 2hr parking in the neighborhoods around the hospital are constantly patrolled. I've had my fair share of parking tickets from there before i got parking off site as an AHS employee.

Archived