Premed 101 Forums

What are some unique volunteer opportunities

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering what kind of volunteer opportunities would really stand out on an application... I would love to be able to travel overseas and spend a few months there...but its either way too much money and CUSO-VSO (which is the canadian equivalent of peace corps) requires for the most part some type of professional degree...

Any ideas...

Do somethings you're passionate about, and that you'll stick by for a while... Long term > Crazy cool/unique

I really love Habitat for Humanity - it's practical, relevant, you interact with lots of interesting people, you get to work side-by-side with good people that need the help to get affordable housing...

With any volunteering, meds adside, I've always found it good to ask myself why I would choose international over helping at home. If it's for my own interest, then I just own up to it and do it anyways. At least you're being clear with yourself.

But yeah, there are tons of things that will stand out more at home than going abroad! Truly give back to your community, and interact with it! Enjoy!! :D

Personally, I think that going overseas automatically looks like something to boost your ECs. You are spending SO much money on going over there for a few weeks, and never seeing those people again. To me, going overseas would be much more beneficial when you have a medical degree and can help people suffering from things like the Haiti disaster. fourloves is right, do something you're passionate about and can continue for a long time. It doesn't necessarily need to be related to medicine. Remember what they are looking for- someone who is dedicated, passionate, reliable. So yes, you have to tell them why you are choosing medicine, but I think 3 years of doing something not medically related will trump random 2 week stints of going overseas

I volunteered in a kindergarten-grade 1 class for children with autism.

It was a great experience, really taught me a lot about patience, persistence, and compassion. Was probably the best volunteer experience of my life (and it was local)

I say take part in ECs that you are interested in - whether or not they are health care related. This is more important than having a unique activity since from thousands of applicants someone is bound to have a similar activity as you. Your interest will motivate you to stay with them a long time. I think AdComs look to see how dedicated you are as a volunteer and you will be asked about what you garnered from your experiences in interviews. It's more impressive to me if someone can illustrate their growth via an EC and talk about it passionately versus "IwenttoAfrica.Itmadememoregratefulandmotivatedmetofixtheworld" type of answers.

Like the posters above me said, there are issues of unequal opportunity to volunteer overseas. I personally think that some of these medical missions who take UNTRAINED undergrads and use them to perform medical procedures are crossing some ethical boundaries. As future (hopefully ethical practitioners) we should be uncomfortable participating in them...but that is a discussion for another day :P

Archived