Premed 101 Forums

What do you want to specialize in and why?

Sarah_2020

I have some ideas but remain completely open...

1) Family Med - with a potential +1 on the end Sports Med/Oncology both interest me.

2) A few of the IM sub-specialties...

3) Paeds (I'd feel a lot more comfortable raising my own children if I knew what could go wrong with them lol)

Honourable mention: Neurology... (I was never very research based though)

I'm trying not to count anything out.... besides potentially Laboratory Medicine/Pathology.... I would be very surprised if I headed in that direction at all..... Of course, having said that, I'll end up in pathology somewhere.

3 years and a couple months to figure it all out... quite exciting.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

haha I can't deal when family ask about this - it's true it is SO likely to change a million times in the next year. My dad is convinced I want to be a plastic surgeon (why? because I can draw. Apparently, to him, this is the same thing lol). I am all over the place, but based on the procedures I've seen (and in no order because this is too premature for me to rank them)....

-Ortho: love the idea of doing something soooo... structural?... if that makes any sense. (and perhaps it will help me relate to my delightfully meatheaded husband?)

-er... Plastics: OK ok so the procedures i've seen so far are pretty cooooool... and require visual thinking which i'm into

-ENT: some of the same cool procedures as plastics.... without having to be a plastic surgeon?

Ob-Gyn for me!

1- It's got a whole lot of endocrinology, which I particularly appreciate.

2- According to me, it is the best speciality in terms of clinical/surgical balance

3- I'm in love with big bellies!

4- Ob-gyns have short AND long-term relationships with patients, which perfectly suits me. I need some change, but I also need to be a little attached and proud to see my patients get better and/or have their babies :)

5- You get to be part of the most beautiful day of their lives!

Ob-Gyn for me!

2- According to me, it is the best speciality in terms of clinical/surgical balance

4- Ob-gyns have short AND long-term relationships with patients, which perfectly suits me. I need some change, but I also need to be a little attached and proud to see my patients get better and/or have their babies :)

that was a really nice post.

Ob-Gyn for me!

I don't know about number six. Everyone always forgets the public crapping part.

Ob-Gyn for me!

Me too!

I may change my mind a hundred times before carms though :D

IM/FM/EM...can't decide which yet. Or maybe none of the above if I find something else I like more in clerkship. I feel like this is a ridiculous question to be asked by family/friends before you've been exposed to your cores and maybe even some electives.

OMG couldn't have agreed more!!

People have been tormenting me a lot lately when I haven't even started 1st year of med yet?! It's ridiculous!

Hmmm, we're like twins... cardio could be my number 3 (as could most interesting things that had reasonable hours)... but the work-life balance and residency length are a little to intense for me, plus I prefer the above moreso

LOL that chart is amazing, guess I must be crazy!

1) psychiatry-- my dream job is to be a psychiatrist in CAMH's comorbid disorder program

2)ER

3)cardiology...the heart is pretty interesting...but I'd take psych over cardio and ER any day

Wow, soooo jealous right now that most of you can think about how you'll specialize. I'm still aiming to get in ;)

Ok, quick question. What is the difference between a resident and a fellow?

I thought a resident did a specialty (like cardiac surgery), and a fellow did a sub-specialty (like vascular surgery, or cardiology). So, would you call a fellow a "resident" of their sub-specialty? I'm wondering because a lot of med school Department of Surgery sites refer to postgraduates in sub-specialties (like Mac's vascular division site) as being in a residency program, and that the department accepts "one fellow a year". But aren't these two things/people the same? Isn't ANYONE who does the sub-specialty a fellow??? Or is only one person accepted as a "resident" to the department, and this person is called a fellow (doing a 2 year sub-specialty)?

Am I making sense? Does anyone get what I'm asking?

And, um, to get back on topic, though it's VERY premature, I'm interested in plastics and vascular surgery (but what do I know, right? :D )

1. ob/gyn (no comments from Madz on this one)

2. medical genetics (I feel like I'm the only one....but soooo cool)

3. something else (keeping my options open....like babies but hate kids, anesthesiology and rads both seem interesting, like the derm lifestyle)

We will see what med school brings...

For someone who, up until two years ago, would throw up at the sight of blood and have panic attacks even THINKING about someone having surgery....

....I'm strangely drawn to surgery now ;)

However, I am pretty sure I wouldn't be able to tolerate the residency lifestyle, nor the high pressure to perform complex motor functions. Probably not for me.

My #1 choice from the experience I have so far (volunteering) is geriatrics - I love old people, have tons of patience and respect for them, and have a certain knack for dealing with dementia patients.

2 - cardiology. I love the physiology of the heart and circulatory system, and am drawn to an area where I might have a chance to integrate some procedures into my practice.

3 - eek.....haven't thought this far ahead.....anything else in the internal stream that piques my interest during electives and clerkship probably.

Definite no's? Psychiatry (no interest in therapy) and family (too poorly compensated, mostly just dealing with ignorant people's rashes and BMs and stuff - not for me)

• 5 months later...

trust me. once you go through clerkships, family medicine will seem like a great if not the best career choice. Just remember in 10 years everything will become routine and "boring". The only thing you'll have left is lifestyle. Go through IM or a surgery rotation waking up at 4 am to get to the hospital by 5/6 am for prerounds then stand on your feet the entire day until 8 pm go home eat dinner and sleep so that you can wake up on time and do it all over again...trust me. Family medicine is the true lifestyle specialty and if practiced correctly offers immense reward.

Archived