Premed 101 Forums

What do you want to specialize in and why?

Sarah_2020

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i think i might like plastics and ortho, but at this stage who knows.

obv we need to have this comic ITT

12_medical_specialty_stereotypes_full.jpg

tooty- you should read the books- "blue collar blue scrubs" and "hot lights cold steel"- both by michael collins who is an orthopod from mayo... very good books. that is of course if you feel the need/have the time to read them.

also, this comic strip was written by michelle au- she has a fun blog called the underwear drawer... she's also got a book coming out next year that should be quite entertaining.

random facts by hk.

tooty- you should read the books- "blue collar blue scrubs" and "hot lights cold steel"- both by michael collins who is an orthopod from mayo... very good books. that is of course if you feel the need/have the time to read them.

also, this comic strip was written by michelle au- she has a fun blog called the underwear drawer... she's also got a book coming out next year that should be quite entertaining.

random facts by hk.

wicked i'll check them out sometime.

i used to read her blog all the time but didn't know about the book.

No wait, if you really wanted to see men you could subspecialize in urogynecology...but who wants to deal with pesseries all day.

Urogyne sees men in some centers? WTF? Every center I have been in male incontinence is done by urology. Minor female incontinence is done by urology and urogyne (TVT's etc.). Major female incontinence is all urology.

Urology is the specialty to be in if you want to deal with incontinence in females or males.

Urogyne is more for people who like Gyne, but also want to do some or the lighter incontinence work.

Also, pesseries are gross.

you could be that psychiatrist that isn't a pill pusher and changes someone's life, to be honest i think optimum mental health incorporates most facets of medicine, spirituality, fitness, sociality and various other aspects of life... a lot of programs just choose to segregate, unfortunately :)

Spoken like someone who has not seen the populations that psychiatrists have to deal with. What you're thinking of is a psychologist, someone who, on your dime, is willing to work with you on a long-term basis to help you self-actualize by fulfilling your hierarchy of needs. Of course, unless you're already very well off, there is no chance you'll ever have the opportunity to do that.

No, psychiatrists are so backlogged with consults they don't have time for long-term care. There's a big divide between "optimum mental health" and "let's try to keep you from having another psychotic break and out of jail and/or the suicide ward" - you have to understand that the latter is a much bigger priority than the former - and guess what, no matter how much "spirituality, fitness, sociality and various other aspects of life" you push, if you don't also STRONGLY push their antipsychotics and/or benzos and/or SSRIs/SNRIs/TCAs and/or lithium, you're not going to get anywhere with 95% of psychiatric patients.

The other 5% with nonspecific anxiety and/or mild depression? If they're poor, their family doctor can deal with them fine, if they're rich, they can go see the psychologist. :rolleyes:

Also

1. Family

2. Internal

3. Family + ER

Neurology. I have fallen in love with it ever since I started to do research in neuroscience. I am fascinated with memory, dementia, and autism. The neurologist I work for has inspired me... She teaches, holds a regular clinic 1-2 times per week, does research, involves herself with many organizations, and has a great family. She is a great person and role model. I also love to work with kids and help them when they are hurt. Most people I know say I would be a great pediatrician... I'm only 5 feet tall, sometimes this means being pretty close to eye level with them! Me and kids, we get along pretty well :)

You sound like someone who's only had to deal with inpatient psych. I have too... forensics, including some famous murderers, sex offenders and pedophiles you might have read about in the national post... geriatrics too, quite a lot actually, some who didn't even remember their own name, one woman who was blind and deaf with alzheimers. I worked on the acute intake team, dealing with bipolar people who had stabbed people, chronic schizophrenics who thought people were trying to break into their homes or had tried to stick their heads in ovens. There was also the mentally handicapped who were very difficult to deal with because of their impulsivity and proneness to violence, or desire to smear feces all over their faces. I've also had the opportunity to work on counselling help phones and long term care facilities. I spent about 30 hours last year shadowing C-L psych too. I've also shadowed child psych where I had the opportunity to do assist in therapy for social phobia. LALALA, plus the homeless people I used to work with, and the drug addicts... ****, I really don't know what I'm talking about at all.

By the way, the majority of the psychiatric population aren't the inpatients I described, they're that 5 percent you mentioned, I know, because well, I've worked with a lot of outpatient psychiatrists as well, especially those with a heavy emphasis in psychotherapy.

If you're willing to give 110 percent, be a little more carefree with regard to your earning potential, and spend the extra time necessary to address every component of a patients life in an outpatient setting it gets a lot easier.

Then again, you have to be completed devoted to your patients as well, but that's easy to do when have friends who have committed suicide, pulled staples out of peoples arms, and had to bandage slit wrists, it really helps bring the magnitude of your responsibility to your patients home.

BTW, I didn't say meds were bad, I just said it's bad to be a pill-pusher, in case you missed that :)

Spoken like someone who has not seen the populations that psychiatrists have to deal with. What you're thinking of is a psychologist, someone who, on your dime, is willing to work with you on a long-term basis to help you self-actualize by fulfilling your hierarchy of needs. Of course, unless you're already very well off, there is no chance you'll ever have the opportunity to do that.

No, psychiatrists are so backlogged with consults they don't have time for long-term care. There's a big divide between "optimum mental health" and "let's try to keep you from having another psychotic break and out of jail and/or the suicide ward" - you have to understand that the latter is a much bigger priority than the former - and guess what, no matter how much "spirituality, fitness, sociality and various other aspects of life" you push, if you don't also STRONGLY push their antipsychotics and/or benzos and/or SSRIs/SNRIs/TCAs and/or lithium, you're not going to get anywhere with 95% of psychiatric patients.

The other 5% with nonspecific anxiety and/or mild depression? If they're poor, their family doctor can deal with them fine, if they're rich, they can go see the psychologist. :rolleyes:

Also

1. Family

2. Internal

3. Family + ER

Neurology would be very interesting, it's a good time to get into it right now too, in the next 20 years we're going to see an explosion in treatments!

Neurology. I have fallen in love with it ever since I started to do research in neuroscience. I am fascinated with memory, dementia, and autism. The neurologist I work for has inspired me... She teaches, holds a regular clinic 1-2 times per week, does research, involves herself with many organizations, and has a great family. She is a great person and role model. I also love to work with kids and help them when they are hurt. Most people I know say I would be a great pediatrician... I'm only 5 feet tall, sometimes this means being pretty close to eye level with them! Me and kids, we get along pretty well :)

Neurology would be very interesting, it's a good time to get into it right now too, in the next 20 years we're going to see an explosion in treatments!

It is very interesting to be around alzheimers patients when I an shadowing the physician I work for. You tend to work with the family a great deal, of course. I would like to one day see effective treatments for this disease. My great aunt is has been slowly dying due to Alzheimers the past 6 years... She doesn't even remember to eat anymore, and even when told to eat she doesn't trust the medical staff.

I very much hope to see better treatments in the future :) I am hopeful.

1. gynecology

2. gynecology

3. gynecology

....you know why :)

its funny because my friend wanted to do that if he wanted to be a doctor, but then we realized , none of the nice one comes just the infected- it was a big slap on our face when we realized that xD

When I was in pre-clinical years my top 3 was:

1. Family Med

2. Psychiatry

3. Internal Med

I ended up in Neurology and I wouldn't do anything else. I love my job!

Things change when you're going through clerkship :)

Hello :)

I am doing neuroscience research right now. What aspect of neurology do you find most interesting/are most involved in?

Archived