Premed 101 Forums

Physio then Med?

I also know quite a few people who have gone into physio with the hopes of eventually going into med. Not sure if they got in, but thats definitely a possibility!

Great, thanks for that. It has to be the most useless response ever. Of course it's a possibility Captain Obvious, just like it's a possibility that someone could have gotten into UBC med with a music, forestry, engineering, computer science, psychology, pharmacology, physiology, math, philosophy, history, English, anthropology, etc degree. Hopefully you don't carry over such brilliance this coming August.

As for the OP, there are at least 4 physiotherapists in the class of 2012, and quite a few in the 2013. As long as you can pull off decent grades, you stand a good shot at getting accepted.

my main issue is that physio is a two year program and finishes at the end of Sept, therefore if I accept for sept 2010 then I can't apply to med (my ultimate goal) this cycle (2010-2011) or next cycle (2011- 2012) because I won't be done until Sept 30th 2012....so that will mean three years....plus during that program my EC's will suffer as there will be little time for anything else..

thoughts are welcome.

ps- i think my GPA is what is hurting my application, 1st - rejected post interview, 2nd waitlisted...still waiting (things are not looking good) so how do I improve my GPA? plus I guess I can't change it for this next application due in sept......do I just take some more undergrad classes?

HELP!

I'm sure you can apply WHILE in physiotherapy, med schools aren't too strict about that. Heck, people leave pharmacy/nursing/engineering all the time. The only program(s) that bind you to enrollment and won't let you bail into medicine are post-graduate masters/PhD.

Great, thanks for that. It has to be the most useless response ever. Of course it's a possibility Captain Obvious, just like it's a possibility that someone could have gotten into UBC med with a music, forestry, engineering, computer science, psychology, pharmacology, physiology, math, philosophy, history, English, anthropology, etc degree. Hopefully you don't carry over such brilliance this coming August.

As for the OP, there are at least 4 physiotherapists in the class of 2012, and quite a few in the 2013. As long as you can pull off decent grades, you stand a good shot at getting accepted.

Lol calm down

I'm sure you can apply WHILE in physiotherapy, med schools aren't too strict about that. Heck, people leave pharmacy/nursing/engineering all the time. The only program(s) that bind you to enrollment and won't let you bail into medicine are post-graduate masters/PhD.

Is physio not a masters program? I would ask UBC about applying concurrently before going into this for 2 years, especially if it doesn't finish till September.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that physio may even be harder to get into than med?

I looked into it briefly. I was working as a personal trainer for a number of years, so it was the logical step for me.

I had a heart-to-heart with my physio about it, and she warned me that you really have to be in love with it to do well at it. It's hard to make money at it (this is not the reason I decided not to apply) and it can be hard to get established.

If you're in a big city this may be different.

OH! I almost forgot. My mother-in-law was in physio and then med. However- she wasn't there by choice. It's a long and amazing story, but she was one of the first women admitted to U of T medical. Essentially she was in physio at first because women were not allowed in the medical program at the time!

Archived