Premed 101 Forums

Europe Vs. America/Canada (holy coww)

I just came from a trip in Europe. I went to a few places and it was a good little trip.

The only thing that bothered me is that the people there are super bitter/angry/jealous/[insert feeling] of USA and Canada.

They still have these ridiculous stereotypes of everyone being 'fat' and 'stupid' still! I thought after the age of 18, people usually research and understand before making strong negative claims.

They criticize the healthcare system (moreso USA than Canada), capitalism, food, lifestyle, views on sex, views on religion...etc.

Then, they go home and watch '24', listen to american alternative rock, drink coke, check the latest style of clothes selling in NY and dream of visiting the states one day in their life.

My problem with this is quite evident.

USA/Canada are not dumb. In fact, we have the smartest people in the world. We have the finest institutions in the world.

There might be some more obesity in the states, but we probably also have the most fit people in the world (due to resources and health knowledge) (Also, europe's obesity rate is exponentially increasing)

They criticize capitalism and say we have overly materialistic attitudes, and then go home and use direct american products and other products based from american research.

Americans/Canadians are not uglier than europeans. In fact, from my experience, I think we're much better looking! This was almost shocking to me, as I thought european chicks would probably be hotter on average.

Most people over there just seem very dull... and sad looking. Their average height is the same as us. It's just the people in the Netherlands who are super tall. Yes, they have many more blondes than I've seen here, but being blonde doesn't make you good looking. The blondes over there are actually worse looking than blondes over here. It's weird.

They love American entertainment and at the same time criticize American culture, lifestyle and just overall substance. They listen to lady gaga, red hot chilli peppers, american rock. They watch all hollywood movies. Their TV shows are based off american shows.

Their fashion is even based off American fashion. Most of the adults there wear GAP, Guess..etc. The teens wear abercrombie styles.

I dunno. Europe was cool, but the people there have problems. In addition to this, they are way less accepting of Diversity!

It's like they're still living in the 60's or something on this matter.

I think we need to more grateful for how frickin awesome Canada and even USA is. No one matches our resources, opportunities, environment, culture, entertainment, wealth and even attractiveness. I don't hate europe, I just hope they improve.

All I know is,

I Love Canada.

And I'm grateful for our neighbours, USA.

If we were to bend the way your story goes, I can say that about 3/4 of the population in Canada has some sort of European background. Europeans don't think Canadians are dumb but they don't really know what is Canada in comparison to USA so they group them together. As we all know, Canadians, on average, tend to be smarter than Americans (and this is not patriotism talking).

And I don't even want to start with how much better Europe is having lived there for quite a few years, lived in USA for a while and now have lived in Canada. The one thing I respect about Europeans is that most of them (there are exceptions) don't kiss your @$$. There's also plenty of reasons as to why they view Americans the way they do. It's really hard to get a grasp of what American culture is all about until you've looked at it from the outside and it hits you. I'm not saying USA's culture is bad - all I'm saying is that USA has a lot to improve on too. :)

Edit: Oh yes. I would have thought that you would learn to stop generalizing since "all those Europeans" do. One person you meet while backpacking does not equal the whole population. It's that simple.

The only thing that bothered me is that the people there are super bitter/angry/jealous/[insert feeling] of USA and Canada.

They still have these ridiculous stereotypes of everyone being 'fat' and 'stupid' still! I thought after the age of 18, people usually research and understand before making strong negative claims.

They criticize the healthcare system (moreso USA than Canada), capitalism, food, lifestyle, views on sex, views on religion...etc.

Then, they go home and watch '24', listen to american alternative rock, drink coke, check the latest style of clothes selling in NY and dream of visiting the states one day in their life.

Seriously?

So, your problem with all Europeans is that they all believe that everyone in Canada/America are the same in a bad way?

Mildly hypocritical... don't you think? (the quoted part in bold is especially funny!)

I haven't travelled many places in Europe, but after being in France and England (France especially) I have noticed some negativity towards people from the US. However, not from everybody! I like to think of people, as well, people. If you come to Canada, some people are going to be welcoming of other cultures and some won't be, but don't generalize a nation on a few select people. When I was in France (I'm Canadian) I would try to use my very limited French to speak to hotel personnel, waiters, etc. What I found among the Amercians we met, was that they did not do this. This resulted in many of the French becoming frustrated and angry because I believe they felt this was being disrespectful.

With that said, I was in the Bahamas a few years back, where they speak spanish. For some reason, I just can't get spanish. So I would try to explain I had no idea what they were saying and hope they spoke english. With people from the US learning spanish in school, perhaps spanish countries have a better view of Americans? I don't know.

As a last note... I've never come across people who dislike Canadians. In my experience they're always excited and ask questions about what Toronto is like :P

wow, looking back, my post was so unorganized and.. just bleh.

i forgot to write the good things i felt about europe.:)

they're much more eco-friendly and organized than i've ever seen anywhere in the world. they try not to overuse anything and take care of their resources.

also, their lifestyles seem to be geared towards enjoying time with family and social groups moreso than us/can. that's cool.:)

it's nice that they have so many different countries and cultures close by for travelling and vacations. if you're in the middle of canada or the usa, it'll take you an international flight to get away. over there, you can just drive or take the train to a completely different place!:cool:

for the record, i didn't meet ONE european person and form this opinion. I went to 6 different countries and met numerous individuals.

as for those of you who say europeans are nicer to canadians, it's true. whenever i told em that i wasn't american, they did seem to lighten up.

all of them were very neat and interesting people!

my only problem is with their ridiculous USA-bashing. i'd be alright with it if they bashed USA through actions such as not using their brands or listening to their music and watching their movies/tv shows..

But they only have evil words for USA and then enjoy everything American.

It's the weirdest thing.

the only conclusion i can come to is that they're jealous or something. :)

This comment was verging on trolling lol, I don't even know... really ignorant comment... one of the most hypocritical things i've read in a while... huge generalizations being made against all of Europe (ironically criticizing the fact that they generalize US/Canadian citizens)... also some pretty elitist / ignorant comments in there lol... funny post

Europe is fun to visit but you are right, they have some problems that would make me think twice about living there forever. I have also witnessed (as a Caucasian person) a modest but very real increase in intolerance towards viable minorities on some occasions. Yet, in contrast such intolerance is probably 10x amplified in some parts of the USA.

The many Europeans I hung out with have hugely positive ideas about Canada. Maybe slightly too positive. They seemed to view Canada as the "America that should be".

You don't realize how unique and ultra modern our Canadian society really is until you leave it. We have a lot to be proud of being Canadian. :)

This thread is incredibly ignorant. Each country and culture in Europe is different in their own unique way and to say that they "want to be like the US" would in my opinion be false. We as a culture consume German cars, Italian clothing, French wines and food, but I don't think that we want to be like the Europeans. I think that any negative attitudes toward North America comes from the fact that their image is based on those North American tourists who flock to their country, demanding things be done a North American way (such as tourists who don't attempt to learn anything in the native tongue). Or the backpacker who prides in themselves on saving every last penny, and parades around wearing a soiled shirt and flip flops while claiming not to like "touristy" things, yet end up seeing the same things that everybody else does. I agree that we live in an awesome place, but to knock all of Europe is in my opinon wrong. However, I don't discount that you may have had some bad experiences which have shaped your opinions.

Europe is fun to visit but you are right, they have some problems that would make me think twice about living there forever. I have also witnessed (as a Caucasian person) a modest but very real increase in intolerance towards viable minorities on some occasions. Yet, in contrast such intolerance is probably 10x amplified in some parts of the USA.

The many Europeans I hung out with have hugely positive ideas about Canada. Maybe slightly too positive. They seemed to view Canada as the "America that should be".

You don't realize how unique and ultra modern our Canadian society really is until you leave it. We have a lot to be proud of being Canadian. :)

+1

I think the whole diversity acceptance also depends on where you are in Europe. I've noticed that there's a higher intolerance towards viable minorities in England compared to France-- that's just my perspective.

When my buds and I were speaking in English (obviously) they just assumed that we were Americans. But when they asked us about our citizenship, we told them that we're Canadians and their facial expressions changed.

But yeah, you definitely won't realize how multicultural Toronto is until you visit some places in Europe, or probably even rural towns in Canada.

This comment was verging on trolling lol, I don't even know... really ignorant comment... one of the most hypocritical things i've read in a while... huge generalizations being made against all of Europe (ironically criticizing the fact that they generalize US/Canadian citizens)... also some pretty elitist / ignorant comments in there

+1

(10 chars)

Your ignorant post outright bothered me and as such i have to respond to it. I can tell you with certainty that most Europeans as a general continental population (somehow you managed to mesh 'em all up there together) are NOT jealous of Canada and US. In fact, they see us the North American people as being rather incult, and our whole way of life as being materialistic. So what if they enjoy drinking coke, and watching Hollywood flicks. Haven't you seemingly proud Canadian and European basher ever watched a foreign film? have you ever drank fanta? have you ever appreciated art like Rembrandt, Van Gogh, you name it (although from your post i can pretty much answer this one myself). The way we interpret life and see the world has been shaped by other nations- not least owing to Europe where your grandparents/ forethers came from assuming you are white.

You are right "USA/Canada is not dumb" but you might certainly be. We don't have THE smartest people in the world, we have SOME of the smartest people in the world. I don't understand where you get off saying something like that this shows a very narrow view of the world and as Mattg pointed out highly elitist.

I can't even attack your post it was that terrible. I don't know where to begin:confused:

I can't even believe you misused capitalism in your sad argument.... the European society is a capitalist society. What do you think they are? How do they AT ALL criticize capitalism if they live it, breathe it and prosper in it?:eek:

I don't know how they criticize the American view of sex/sexuality. Are you trying to say that they are more conservative or what? They are in fact WAY more liberal!! No one complains if you take your top off at the beach. This liberalized view has led to.. get this... DECREASED rates of teenage pregnancies and abortions. Why is this? because kids are properly educated and not kept in the dark about safe sex.

You can't generalize religiosity across all of Europe. You have a whole spectrum there across the continent. One should contrast high religiosity and fast held traditions in one country to more secular countries.

We definitely don't have the fittest people in the world. You are contrasting a society where people bike, walk and massively use public transportation to a country that relies on oversized cars as a means to get to work. (i just threw oversized in there because i think such massive SUV's are annoying and obnoxious:rolleyes: they speak volumes about their owners)

"There might be some more obesity in the states, but we probably also have the most fit people in the world (due to resources and health knowledge)" Oy! #1) you are either fit and healthy or you are not. end. #2) knowledge is shared- what we know they know and vice versa. It's a matter of applying those principles to your own life. #3) Resources? like what? Gyms? they have those! Organic or healthy food? obviously they have that too. European countries are not underdeveloped. What we have they have.

How do they criticize our food? I don't know what you eat but i eat "worldly" dishes. I may have pasta one day- and chinese the next. Our cuisine is international- unless you are saying that American food= greasy fast food- in which case it merits criticism.

"I thought after the age of 18, people usually research and understand before making strong negative claims" I think you should follow your own advice. Every claim you have made has been strong and unfounded. Like you said... you've been to a total of 6 European countries. I don't even care what they are but i'm guessing this has been your first trip out of your little cul-de-sac street.

"Most people over there just seem very dull... and sad looking" They most definitely are not. Have you twirled your sparkly tail in the good or bad part of the cities which you visited? It depends where you are.

"I dunno. Europe was cool, but the people there have problems. In addition to this, they are way less accepting of Diversity! It's like they're still living in the 60's or something on this matter. You definitely feel different if you're East Asian/South Asian or black over there." It's because Europe didn't need to supplement its population with immigrants. North America actively sought out immigrants in Asian as well as European countries and as such- yes the population became more diverse. I would not go so far as to claim that they are not accepting of diversity- AT ALL! Depends which country you go to there will be more or less visible minorities walking down the street. What about the states where them 'good-old-boys' still think its a white-male dominated world.

I really don't know what turned you off Europe, and frankly i couldn't give two pennies about it. Should you decide to go again, try walking into museums and art galleries, and learning about European history. Instead of walking around staring at people's sad faces pick up a book and read. Or better yet, go on an exchange if you want to really experience modern european life.

"All I know is, I Love Canada" I am thoroughly embarrassed by you:(

Your ignorant post outright bothered me and as such i have to respond to it. I can tell you with certainty that most Europeans as a general continental population (somehow you managed to mesh 'em all up there together) are NOT jealous of Canada and US. In fact, they see us the North American people as being rather incult, and our whole way of life as being materialistic. So what if they enjoy drinking coke, and watching Hollywood flicks. Haven't you seemingly proud Canadian and European basher ever watched a foreign film? have you ever drank fanta? have you ever appreciated art like Rembrandt, Van Gogh, you name it (although from your post i can pretty much answer this one myself). The way we interpret life and see the world has been shaped by other nations- not least owing to Europe where your grandparents/ forethers came from assuming you are white.

You are right "USA/Canada is not dumb" but you might certainly be. We don't have THE smartest people in the world, we have SOME of the smartest people in the world. I don't understand where you get off saying something like that this shows a very narrow view of the world and as Mattg pointed out highly elitist.

I can't even attack your post it was that terrible. I don't know where to begin:confused:

I can't even believe you misused capitalism in your sad argument.... the European society is a capitalist society. What do you think they are? How do they AT ALL criticize capitalism if they live it, breathe it and prosper in it?:eek:

I don't know how they criticize the American view of sex/sexuality. Are you trying to say that they are more conservative or what? They are in fact WAY more liberal!! No one complains if you take your top off at the beach. This liberalized view has led to.. get this... DECREASED rates of teenage pregnancies and abortions. Why is this? because kids are properly educated and not kept in the dark about safe sex.

You can't generalize religiosity across all of Europe. You have a whole spectrum there across the continent. One should contrast high religiosity and fast held traditions in one country to more secular countries.

We definitely don't have the fittest people in the world. You are contrasting a society where people bike, walk and massively use public transportation to a country that relies on oversized cars as a means to get to work. (i just threw oversized in there because i think such massive SUV's are annoying and obnoxious:rolleyes: they speak volumes about their owners)

"There might be some more obesity in the states, but we probably also have the most fit people in the world (due to resources and health knowledge)" Oy! #1) you are either fit and healthy or you are not. end. #2) knowledge is shared- what we know they know and vice versa. It's a matter of applying those principles to your own life. #3) Resources? like what? Gyms? they have those! Organic or healthy food? obviously they have that too. European countries are not underdeveloped. What we have they have.

How do they criticize our food? I don't know what you eat but i eat "worldly" dishes. I may have pasta one day- and chinese the next. Our cuisine is international- unless you are saying that American food= greasy fast food- in which case it merits criticism.

"I thought after the age of 18, people usually research and understand before making strong negative claims" I think you should follow your own advice. Every claim you have made has been strong and unfounded. Like you said... you've been to a total of 6 European countries. I don't even care what they are but i'm guessing this has been your first trip out of your little cul-de-sac street.

"Most people over there just seem very dull... and sad looking" They most definitely are not. Have you twirled your sparkly tail in the good or bad part of the cities which you visited? It depends where you are.

"I dunno. Europe was cool, but the people there have problems. In addition to this, they are way less accepting of Diversity! It's like they're still living in the 60's or something on this matter. You definitely feel different if you're East Asian/South Asian or black over there." It's because Europe didn't need to supplement its population with immigrants. North America actively sought out immigrants in Asian as well as European countries and as such- yes the population became more diverse. I would not go so far as to claim that they are not accepting of diversity- AT ALL! Depends which country you go to there will be more or less visible minorities walking down the street. What about the states where them 'good-old-boys' still think its a white-male dominated world.

I really don't know what turned you off Europe, and frankly i couldn't give two pennies about it. Should you decide to go again, try walking into museums and art galleries, and learning about European history. Instead of walking around staring at people's sad faces pick up a book and read. Or better yet, go on an exchange if you want to really experience modern european life.

"All I know is, I Love Canada" I am thoroughly embarrassed by you:(

Sorry but that post is way too long. Try and be concise.

i obviously don't care. i was ranting.

And I obviously don't care about your post you little baby. Why ya gettin all emotional about my personal opinion. I suspect you're first generation european or something like that.

Anyway, a lot of stuff in the first half of your post was wrong, but I don't have the time or care to read the last half of it or answer to it.

Europe is cool and there are are many good things about many countries there.

All I wanna convey to you is that, CANADA/USA >>>>>> europe OVERALL.

We're well cultured, wealthy, attractive, healthy, diverse, intelligent and just an overall perfect nation. And I take pride in that and I believe we're better than europe in many or most ways.

And I will not stop myself from taking some pride.

I LOVE CANADA. (and I'm grateful for our crazy neigbours)

Thank you europe for opening my eyes.

canada_rules_sticker-p217503392915923593qjcl_400.jpg

yes i am a first generation european. you are probably a first generation asian (east/south) i dont know/care.

you are entitled to your opinion, as am i to mine. your hypocrisy bothered me, as well as your unfounded blatantly european bashing opinions. that is what i took an issue with.

oh and by the way YOUR facts are wrong. educate yourself before you speak.

Archived