Premed 101 Forums

Police Check/Immunizations?

I'm a little surprised that there has not been any information sent out by Dal regarding preparations to start in September, but does anyone know details about how to do the police check, what immunizations are required, equipment/books to buy, etc? I plan to travel over the summer so I'd rather not wait until the week before school to get on this. thanks!

Hi eastcoast,

You will be receiving the "Don't Panic Guide" sometime this month via e-mail, which contains all the information you are inquiring about. It will have instructions on how to get your immunization record all sorted out, CPR certificiation, etc. You do not require a police check (at least we didn't). As for books, it's best to wait until school starts- there is usually a big used book sale at the beginning of the year and you can get solid books for super cheap. Since the curriculum is brand new, they may also still be working on finalizing the recommended books list, so books will likely not be included in the DPG. Equipment is not that big of a deal; you'll receive a stethoscope and basic "doctor kit" from your home province's doctors association (i.e. Doctors NS/Doctors NB, etc) at a reception early in the year (you get tons of free goodies at the beginning of the year!).

Last year we didn't receive our Don't Panic Guide until late in the summer, so you guys should be able to get a great head start on all of this stuff well before beginning in September. Hope this helps; any other questions don't hestitate to ask! Have a great summer :)

Wow, thanks for the info, that helps a lot! One question, is the free stethoscope good quality, or do a lot of people end up buying the ~$200 types? (I'm assuming that's not what we're given?) Thanks!

Hi eastcoast,

You will be receiving the "Don't Panic Guide" sometime this month via e-mail, which contains all the information you are inquiring about. It will have instructions on how to get your immunization record all sorted out, CPR certificiation, etc. You do not require a police check (at least we didn't). As for books, it's best to wait until school starts- there is usually a big used book sale at the beginning of the year and you can get solid books for super cheap. Since the curriculum is brand new, they may also still be working on finalizing the recommended books list, so books will likely not be included in the DPG. Equipment is not that big of a deal; you'll receive a stethoscope and basic "doctor kit" from your home province's doctors association (i.e. Doctors NS/Doctors NB, etc) at a reception early in the year (you get tons of free goodies at the beginning of the year!).

Last year we didn't receive our Don't Panic Guide until late in the summer, so you guys should be able to get a great head start on all of this stuff well before beginning in September. Hope this helps; any other questions don't hestitate to ask! Have a great summer :)

Wow, thanks for the info, that helps a lot! One question, is the free stethoscope good quality, or do a lot of people end up buying the ~$200 types? (I'm assuming that's not what we're given?) Thanks!

The free stethoscope (Littmann Cardiology III) retails around $200. It is an excellent stethoscope.

Don't purchase ANYTHING before medical school starts. All medical equipment (reflex hammer, tuning forks, snellen chart, measuring tape, pen light) will be provided to you for free from DoctorsNS (this includes OOP students as well). There is no need to buy a BP cuff or ophthalmo/otoscope - lots of $$$ and you will RARELY ever use it. All examination rooms/floors are equipped with these instruments anyway.

You'll have plenty of time to buy books and will get emails from upper year students wanting to sell their books - as well as a book sale by the DMSS (Dal Med School Society) in the first few weeks of the school year.

Immunizations - you'll need proof of:

- 2 step TST (TB)

- HepB

- Varicella

- MMR

- Polio

- Tetanus, diptheria, pertussis

I rushed and made sure I had all that done by the time med school started. Little did I know that there was no need to rush! You can continue working on getting all the serology or finding proof of primary vaccines even after school has started.

Dal also asked for basic CPR certification which I did before med school started. They provided a course for students that didnt have certification early in the school year (Sept or Oct).

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info!

The free stethoscope (Littmann Cardiology III) retails around $200. It is an excellent stethoscope.

Don't purchase ANYTHING before medical school starts. All medical equipment (reflex hammer, tuning forks, snellen chart, measuring tape, pen light) will be provided to you for free from DoctorsNS (this includes OOP students as well). There is no need to buy a BP cuff or ophthalmo/otoscope - lots of $$$ and you will RARELY ever use it. All examination rooms/floors are equipped with these instruments anyway.

You'll have plenty of time to buy books and will get emails from upper year students wanting to sell their books - as well as a book sale by the DMSS (Dal Med School Society) in the first few weeks of the school year.

Immunizations - you'll need proof of:

- 2 step TST (TB)

- HepB

- Varicella

- MMR

- Polio

- Tetanus, diptheria, pertussis

I rushed and made sure I had all that done by the time med school started. Little did I know that there was no need to rush! You can continue working on getting all the serology or finding proof of primary vaccines even after school has started.

Dal also asked for basic CPR certification which I did before med school started. They provided a course for students that didnt have certification early in the school year (Sept or Oct).

Hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...

There's lots of people that wait for a long time on immunizations, but the student affairs office would prefer that you had them in by the end of first year so they don't have to chase you. So xi88 you should get on that.

So I just finished my first year, and I still dont have all my immunization records submitted yet. Definitely no rush.

There's lots of people that wait for a long time on immunizations, but the student affairs office would prefer that you had them in by the end of first year so they don't have to chase you. So xi88 you should get on that.

also makes life so much easier when applying for electives.

Archived