Premed 101 Forums

Any reasonable way to know what next years MCAT cutoffs will be?

...to predict the MCAT cut-offs for any given cycle, because it is based on the academic calibre of the entire applicant pool of that application year.

If the MCAT scores of the applicants in the 2011 cycle vary markedly compared to this year, then you can expect different cut-offs (but there is no way of knowing this in advance).

Based on the 2010 cycle, it's also clear that the subsection cut-offs can increase (e.g. VR score), decrease (e.g. BS score, WS score) or stay the same (e.g. PS Score).

If I was in your situation, I probably would not re-write (depending on your WS score), but I'd also be prepared for the consequences of that decision (whether positive or negative).

:)

Your overall score of 32 is very competitive. Also, you have consistent scores which makes it less likely that you will fall short of lower cut-offs but there is never any guarantee.

You are treading a fine line in re-writing with a 32 though as the Verbal scores can vary widely regardless of how good you are at them. The only reason I would suggest rewriting is if you had a very poor writing section score that would limit you at other schools.

...with a best-two-year GPA=3.75.

That's the highest the GPA cut-off has ever risen at Western. :)

However, if the applicant pool for the 2011 cycle is unusually qualified w.r.t. their GPAs, then who knows, it may increase >3.75. ;)

Anyone want to take a stab at what the GPA cutoff will be?

Guest postman

I tend to think that if they keep the VR at 11 again the GPA may stay at 3.70. Even with this they were only able to interview 430 people this year which is less than in previous years. If VR went back to 10 I can see them increasing the GPA to 3.75. Then again a lot of this depends on the stats of the next cohorts of applicants.

...with a best-two-year GPA=3.75.

That's the highest the GPA cut-off has ever risen at Western. :)

However, if the applicant pool for the 2011 cycle is unusually qualified w.r.t. their GPAs, then who knows, it may increase >3.75. ;)

I thought the cutoffs were set earlier in the year based off previous applicant pools.

Similarly, if the GPA cutoff was 3.75 and they had too few applicants meet the interview cutoff, they would drop it.

If they had too many applicants meet the cutoff, it would go up, but that would only affect the next year.

I thought the cutoffs were set earlier in the year based off previous applicant pools.

Similarly, if the GPA cutoff was 3.75 and they had too few applicants meet the interview cutoff, they would drop it.

If they had too many applicants meet the cutoff, it would go up, but that would only affect the next year.

Nah, I believe they receive all the apps, then fool around with different cutoffs and use whichever one gives them their desired amount of interviewees.

Archived