Premed 101 Forums

Electives ... Foresnic Emergency?

Is that even a medical specialty??

I think emergency docs in some areas are being trained in aspects of forensic medicine... but I highly doubt you will find a specific elective.

... I think that many med students (NOT saying you think this way) believe a little too much what they see in the movies... in reality, police do the police work and doctors do the doctor work, then sometimes are called upon to give their opinion.... Trust me, I would love to have a job that was part doctor-part detective, but that just does not exist in real life.

Is that even a medical specialty??

I think emergency docs in some areas are being trained in aspects of forensic medicine... but I highly doubt you will find a specific elective.

... I think that many med students (NOT saying you think this way) believe a little too much what they see in the movies... in reality, police do the police work and doctors do the doctor work, then sometimes are called upon to give their opinion.... Trust me, I would love to have a job that was part doctor-part detective, but that just does not exist in real life.

You mean I don't get Horatio shades? (j/k!)

Hi Renin,

You might have to be a little more specific in what you mean by forensic emergency medicine, but I have met docs whose job descriptions might match what you're looking for.

Certain family physicians work on sexual assault response teams. They are called into the emerg after a sexual assault, to collect bodily fluids, photograph injuries, and potentially interview the victim (I'm not sure on the last point).

If this is what you're looking for, setting up such an elective may be difficult. From what I understand, these physicians usually hold down a regular family practice, and will only be on call for the sexual assault response teams once in a while, and then there may or may not do any forensic work depending on what happens during their call period.

Otherwise, some doctors (semi-retired or retired pathologists, and potentially some family docs) can do some minor work at a medical examiners office, which usually involves "externals" (examining a body and completing documentation, but not performing autopsies). From what I understand, this usually just involves a few hours a day, and not even every day, so also not a great elective option. Future aspiring ME's can correct me if I'm wrong on this point.

Sorry, that isn't super helpful. You could do a search in your provinces college of physicians and surgeons website to see if this matches anyone's job description, and then contact that person.

Thanks for the information :) I will definitely take a look around.

In the US, they have a specific training program, I guess it's not available in Canada. I will have to satisfy myself with armchair ballistics for now.

One of my seniors gave a presentation recently at Resident Academic Day that touched on forensics. Her first slide was a brief overview of the history of forensic EM. My memory is short and my attention wanders, but I think she said there are two accredited fellowship programs in the States, neither of which has taken any fellows for a number of years. I don't remember where they are, sorry.

Not sure what sort of experience you're looking for exactly, but it might be worthwhile contacting your local coroner's office (or local medical examiner's office, depending on where you live). I know of at least one resident in my program who spent some elective time at the chief coroner's office.

If you're really stuck yet really keen, you wouldn't have much to lose by flipping an email to whomever wrote the forensic emergency medicine chapter in Rosen's. (S)he is probably an American, but might have a lead or two. Or (s)he may ignore you completely, but it can't really hurt to try.

Thank you for your suggestions :)

I have spent time with a medical examiner and a forensic pathologist already. It was very exciting!!!

I will also try to email the author of this book I'm reading right now. I think the University of Chicago has a good program.

there is a resident in my program who had been interested in this area. Apparently, in Canada, it is rather difficult to make a career out of this as there just isn`t the volume of cases needed. So in terms of fellowships, decided it was not worthwhile.

Just something to consider.

Archived