Premed 101 Forums

Working Part-time

So recently I started working as a teacher for an MCAT prep class. The first go at this is hard because of all the prep work involved for every class, but I think teaching a second class will be much easier.

The classes are a couple of nights a week for 3 hrs each, and the second time doing it, each class may take 1 hr of prep work. So, approximately 8 hrs a week + time answering student emails/questions.

Assuming I can get transferred to Hamilton, would it be worth keeping this as a part time job while in med school?

I probably wouldn't or would hold off until you know how much work it is going to be. I've noticed different people need different amounts of time to prepare for tutorials, but it gets pretty hectic. Plus your schedule changes basically by the week with pharm lectures and other electives, interest group stuff, clinical skills and being at the mercy of your resident's schedule. It's also nice to not have one extra thing on your plate when you come home from a 12 hour day at school.

Archived