Premed 101 Forums

Help :(

metukah

I am scheduled to re-write the MCAT in a couple of weeks for the 3rd time. My first two times were terrible (19S and 21R). I have taken TPR, the refresher course, and this year I have been using EK and even got a tutor. I have been studying really hard this time around...morning to night for the past couple of weeks. I have written 4 AAMCs and am averaging in the low to mid 20s :(. My only progress seems to have been a 10 in verbal...but that has been fluctuating.

I honestly don't know what to do at this point. I feel like I'm running into a brick wall...and the more I study, the worse I do! I am feeling like maybe I just CANNOT do well on this damn exam. Maybe I'm just stupid!!! It's really starting to depress me. Do you guys have any suggestions/advice? I am worried about screwing up #3 and having to do this AGAIN. I really don't want to reschedule, because I have a lot of other responsibilities that I have been ignoring for the past month.

Thanks and sorry for the rant...

Are you analyzing what you're consistently getting wrong? And then studying the specific material to make sure you're not making the same mistakes? Are you taking the time to really check over your work? The AAMC tests give a great breakdown of what you got wrong/right and the subject areas that these questions came from. Study both the wrong and right answer and see why you're choosing the wrong ones over and over again so you don't keep falling into the same traps. It can be frustrating and slow but with the amount of work you're putting in, its confusing as to why you're not improving.

When did you write the first two times?

Also, do you mind sharing a breakdown of your previous two scores? One thing for sure though, you are strong in writing. S and R are great writing scores.

Like the above poster said, it just seems very strange that you are hitting a wall and not improving from a poor (no offense) low 20s score.

How are you studying for the MCAT? Are you really sitting down everyday and putting in time? Or are you just reading the materials? Some people equate reading to studying, but studying and reading are not the same thing.

You mentioned you have a lot of other responsibilities in your life. Could time be an issue? Perhaps you are stressed?

Do you understand the material? What is your background in university? Sciences?

Sorry for all the questions. But for the amount of money that you are spending (TPR course, refresher course, private tutor, etc.), it just seems very perplexing your practice scores are not increasing.

OK well first of all your writing sample scores both times you wrote are strong...you are clearly not stupid. That is safe to say!

You say you have managed to improve VR, so the issue to me seems to be the basic science sections of the MCAT - PS and BS. Have you done well in your university science courses? It is a bit perplexing that you have not significantly raised your score after so much preparation. Either way I think some of the suggestions have already been really sound ones - the MCAT is not your typical exam. While it tests your knowledge, it also tests time management, reading comprehension, and ability to apply what you know...perhaps you know your material but have trouble applying it to the MCAT format? Obviously there is no consoling in the world that will figure out what your problem is and subsequently solve it... Since you have a limit of 3 times per year, maybe write the MCAT three times in a row until you get a score you are happy with? Clearly it does get pricy and time consuming, however, if medicine is truly your goal then you must rewrite until you can at least reach the cut off scores for some of the schools you want to apply at. The last option is obviously international schools that generally have lower MCAT requirements...perhaps the truth is that you just cannot manage to get a score that is required by the supercompetitive Canadian med schools? Only you know the answers to these questions. Either way, a big part of the MCAT is having confidence in yourself and I hope you can find that confidence and finally defeat the monster cat...

OK well first of all your writing sample scores both times you wrote are strong...you are clearly not stupid. That is safe to say!

You say you have managed to improve VR, so the issue to me seems to be the basic science sections of the MCAT - PS and BS. Have you done well in your university science courses? It is a bit perplexing that you have not significantly raised your score after so much preparation. Either way I think some of the suggestions have already been really sound ones - the MCAT is not your typical exam. While it tests your knowledge, it also tests time management, reading comprehension, and ability to apply what you know...perhaps you know your material but have trouble applying it to the MCAT format? Obviously there is no consoling in the world that will figure out what your problem is and subsequently solve it... Since you have a limit of 3 times per year, maybe write the MCAT three times in a row until you get a score you are happy with? Clearly it does get pricy and time consuming, however, if medicine is truly your goal then you must rewrite until you can at least reach the cut off scores for some of the schools you want to apply at. The last option is obviously international schools that generally have lower MCAT requirements...perhaps the truth is that you just cannot manage to get a score that is required by the supercompetitive Canadian med schools? Only you know the answers to these questions. Either way, a big part of the MCAT is having confidence in yourself and I hope you can find that confidence and finally defeat the monster cat...

Thanks for your feedback guys. I do go back and review what i got wrong/right - i write out all the answers again and think about why i chose them.

I wrote #1 in 2007: PS:05 V:06 BS: 08 S

#2 in 2008: PS: 07 V: 06 BS: 08 R

I think my biggest problem is problem solving on this exam. I seem to be getting all the passage based problems, and missing more of those that pertain to experiments. I seem to second guess myself and try to think "what is the trick behind this question". Also, both times I wrote, I left the exam room feeling like I wasted the past few months, and wasn't able to apply what I learnt. This time around, I am really asking myself for every question - WHAT CONCEPT is this testing? This time around - I've focused much more on practicing, rather than reading. I have been working with EKs verbal strategy and find its MUCH better than TPR, so I am confident in a better verbal score, unless something crazy happens.

As for my other responsibilites - it involves a Masters degree and a part-time job, so I can't keep putting those off forever. My basic science courses in first year were not fantastic, but this is mainly due to the school I went to and bellcurving. My last two years of undergrad are >3.85, and I believe I could get interviews at schools that consider your best 2, as long as I meet the MCAT cutoffs. My EC are really great, TONS of research, and I have publications.

I REALLY hate to sound like a complainer....but literally this exam is the worst thing I've ever had to go through academically....and with all the hard work and sacrifices, it is REALLY discouraging to see such low scores. Maybe I am putting TOO much pressure on myself, and this is resulting in poor scores. I am just going to give it my all for the next couple weeks and pray for third times a charm.

Just out of curiosity what was your major in undergrad - did you take chem, phys, and bio courses....and how many? Also...make sure the majority of your studying is no memorizing...understand why it is the way it is (well for anatomy it might be a little more memorization...but for biology and chemistry, try to truly understand the concepts from all angles...

Figure out what your learning style is and go from there... ie visual, auditory, etc...and I dont recommend studying from a single textbook. If you have a bunch of books from undergrad use all of them even if they overlap...

Hope that helps

I think my biggest problem is problem solving on this exam. I seem to be getting all the passage based problems

I'm going to be blunt, and I will probably be scolded for it, but I am going to say what everyone is thinking in sfinchian style: If you do not significantly improve on this rewrite, I would probably stop wasting your time. Sorry to say, but 19 and 21 with studying is absolutely awful. Most competetive premeds would get that or probably greater without even studying. And to be honest, saying that your biggest problem is problem solving does not bode well for you. I have news for you, the MCAT isn't about testing experiments, like you mentioned your passages are lacking, it is about testing problem solving / critical thinking primarily. I would say if you don't get higher than 26 on this one, don't bother wasting any more of your time / money, and I'm not trying to be mean. But I would be absolutely astonished if someone got a 19, 21, and another low 20, only to bang off a 32+ in his/her 4th rewrite (which is essentially what you would need to have a chance at Queens/Western, as you eluded to). You are just going to end up wasting years, and thousands and thousands of dollars.

I'm sorry to be blunt, and a d.i.c.k. But it needed to be said. Definitely do your best to try and fix your science studying, and I guess improve your critical thinking skills for the next rewrite, but you should also be realistic. Perhaps you have a chance at Mac or Ottawa? (depending on your GPA) Otherwise, if you are dead-set on medicine, I would perhaps consider the Caribbean, as many in your position would (although personally, I don't like the Caribbean route if you are missing the Canada/US boat by miles, as it will often just fuel some people's delusions, and leave them stranded with a massive debt, fairly useless medical degree, and unable to do well enough on the tests required to practice in US/Canada).

Regardless, Good luck! Honestly.

I don't mean to upset you, and I hope you don't get upset. I just think it is important that you be realistic, as there are too many 'premeds' that are verging on delusional.

Just out of curiosity what was your major in undergrad - did you take chem, phys, and bio courses....and how many? Also...make sure the majority of your studying is no memorizing...understand why it is the way it is (well for anatomy it might be a little more memorization...but for biology and chemistry, try to truly understand the concepts from all angles...

Figure out what your learning style is and go from there... ie visual, auditory, etc...and I dont recommend studying from a single textbook. If you have a bunch of books from undergrad use all of them even if they overlap...

Hope that helps

Thanks for your advice. I have been using a bunch of textbooks. My undergrad was in Human Biology and Psychology. I did not take physics since highschool - and so have been studying this subject more. I did however take all the standard bios, chem, calculus, genetics, etc.

Thanks for your advice. I have been using a bunch of textbooks. My undergrad was in Human Biology and Psychology. I did not take physics since highschool - and so have been studying this subject more. I did however take all the standard bios, chem, calculus, genetics, etc.

Use Nova Physics.

Great book, really helped me get an 11 on PS (just by going through the book and with no AAMC practice exams)

what type of questions are you screwing up? if you got most of the discretes right but alot of passage specific questions wrong, then your content review is probably ok but have problems with passage comprehension. if both discretes and passage questions are problematic for you, then you probably have major flaws understanding the fundamentals, which i would recommend using the EK 1001 series to fix that. honestly, since you are in master and have a great gpa, you're smart enough to do OK in mcat. with studying and the right test-taking approach, i think all applicants can at least get a 10 in both science sections - verbal is another story of course: it's a totally different beast. what you need to do right now is to forget about the first two tests since that's done already. what's hindering you right now is your fear towards mcat. be more positive and give it ONE final shot. if you think to yourself that it's ok to screw up because you can retake again, DON'T think that way! plus, i agree with newmeddude that if you can't improve much on your next try, you gotta be true to yourself and explore other alternative. i know this can be discouraging and mcat is only one aspect of your application, but if you consistently score in the low 20s, it really doesn't cut it, not in North America at the very least.

Use Nova Physics.

Great book, really helped me get an 11 on PS (just by going through the book and with no AAMC practice exams)

I'm also having a little trouble with physics. I didn't take physics at ALL so I've no background in it.

Is nova physics helpful for background info? I'm trying to find a book that might help explain the basics in order for me to better understand where the TPR physics book is coming from.

Is this the nova physics the one you're talking about? http://www.amazon.ca/NOVA-Physics-Elegant-Universe-Beyond/dp/B000C8STPI

Thanks for your feedback guys. I do go back and review what i got wrong/right - i write out all the answers again and think about why i chose them.

I think my biggest problem is problem solving on this exam. I seem to be getting all the passage based problems, and missing more of those that pertain to experiments. I seem to second guess myself and try to think "what is the trick behind this question". Also, both times I wrote, I left the exam room feeling like I wasted the past few months, and wasn't able to apply what I learnt. This time around, I am really asking myself for every question - WHAT CONCEPT is this testing? This time around - I've focused much more on practicing, rather than reading. I have been working with EKs verbal strategy and find its MUCH better than TPR, so I am confident in a better verbal score, unless something crazy happens.

As for my other responsibilites - it involves a Masters degree and a part-time job, so I can't keep putting those off forever. My basic science courses in first year were not fantastic, but this is mainly due to the school I went to and bellcurving. My last two years of undergrad are >3.85, and I believe I could get interviews at schools that consider your best 2, as long as I meet the MCAT cutoffs. My EC are really great, TONS of research, and I have publications.

I REALLY hate to sound like a complainer....but literally this exam is the worst thing I've ever had to go through academically....and with all the hard work and sacrifices, it is REALLY discouraging to see such low scores. Maybe I am putting TOO much pressure on myself, and this is resulting in poor scores. I am just going to give it my all for the next couple weeks and pray for third times a charm.

I will second this, unfortunately. Before I had even taken physics or organic chem in university, I was scoring ~25-26 on aamc. I would study all the sciences, do as many practice tests as you possibly can, and write one more time. If you dont get MUCH closer to 30 I would reconsider your options.

I'm also having a little trouble with physics. I didn't take physics at ALL so I've no background in it.

Is nova physics helpful for background info? I'm trying to find a book that might help explain the basics in order for me to better understand where the TPR physics book is coming from.

Is this the nova physics the one you're talking about? http://www.amazon.ca/NOVA-Physics-Elegant-Universe-Beyond/dp/B000C8STPI

This was a great book

http://sites.fastspring.com/novapress/product/mcatphysicsbook

It assumes you have no/little physics background

I sucked at the MCAT too when I first wrote it, like sucked big time!!!! The thing I found to be most helpful is taking practice tests. The first time I took the test I came out with a low mark in the 20's. I spent the next summer studying and taking a practice test each Friday, my score improved almost each week, there were some fluctuations but overall I just needed to practice taking the test not going over the material. In the end I got the score I wanted, so it was worth it.

Archived