Premed 101 Forums

York Kinesiology First Year

Mac actually has the syllabus for each course on their website. I wished york had them too... it would make it so much easier to choose courses.

You can get those by going to the York Kine office in Bethune. They have a huge book of these. Besides, York changes its course structure from year to year. It was VERY rare that one course followed the same format as the one previous year. Why you may wonder? Well, because kinesiology is a growing field and the profs do their very best to update the literature (good for them!). So there are new topics every year.

So for anyone who is wondering about Waterloo or York kinesiology (as well as Mac and Western) and the comparisons amongst the programs, you're more than welcome to post your questions in this thread. I will try to reply in a timely manner (depending on how busy my semester gets).

Also, if you need research info, volunteering within the field, etc. let me know. I have a couple of good clinics and research departments. Thanks.

Did you do any of the certificate programs while at York? I am interested in the Athletic Therapy one, so any info on that would be great!

Thanks so much for answering our questions, it is really kind : D

I did not do any of the certificate programs because I specialized in biomechanics and neuroscience. This was already a commitment, as I was involved in research from the end of 2nd year of undergrad. I was planning on entering athletic therapy and even went through the interview process.

The athletic therapy requires you to have at least a C+ GPA after first year. I do not suggest doing a double major with the certificate because you will literally die. Athletic therapy requires a certain time commitment. Some students don't take a full course load because they need to be with the teams during training as well as games. First year is pretty basic - you take courses and you're put with a minimal risk team (such as tennis). As you become more qualified, they put you with higher risk teams (such as hockey). Before you even begin the certificate stream, you need to finish a "First Responder" course (run by the athletic therapy stream) that is an intense one week load down on what you need to know if any of your athletes get injured. Here, you're introduced to the basics of athletic therapy. It is up to you to learn more if you want.

Later on, they also put you to work in a clinic (either at UofT or York and I think there are some other clinics in Toronto but I'm not 100% sure). So at the end of the certificate (3 years), you have enough volunteer hours on field and in clinic to take your CATA certification and become a certified athletic therapist.

The program is run by Frances Flint and I'm sure she would be more than happy to answer any of your questions.

In terms of admissions, first they look at your GPA and volunteer experience (you should have some first aid experience because it will help you during an interview, but I know people who had no prior experience and got in). Then you have to go through an interview - it's an MMI and you're interviewed by students in the program + students that have graduated from the program + Frances Flint herself.

It's an intense program and it is easy to get accepted into it. I know that many people who have finished this program end up doing their Masters and some of them are struggling to find jobs. I don't know whether this is because York is not well connected or these people did not connect with others, but 3/4 of my friends who finished this certificate are doing either their Masters or Ph.D.

So, is it worth it? Yes, for those who want to make athletic therapy their career and have a bit more experience in terms of medical field. However, I think Sheridan College has a way better certificate (it is a degree now in athletic therapy) than York. I have my own beliefs in terms of this program and if you talk with AT students, some of them will tell you the disadvantages of it (especially in terms of staff that leads this program) and advantages (connections).

Hope that helps. There is also a certificate in fitness which you should take a look at. It was run by Gledhill in my time and he has huge connections in the field. Most of the people in this stream ended up getting a job as a fitness professional and are earning quite a bit of money now.

I do not suggest doing a double major with the certificate because you will literally die.

LOL. I guess that is a valid point : P

How would doing the certificate after work? Would it still be 3 years, or would courses count toward it and the time be reduced?

What did you think of the PKIN courses? Which ones did you take? I am particularly interested in the martial arts one, seeing as I already train.

LOL. I guess that is a valid point : P

How would doing the certificate after work? Would it still be 3 years, or would courses count toward it and the time be reduced?

What did you think of the PKIN courses? Which ones did you take? I am particularly interested in the martial arts one, seeing as I already train.

If you decide to do a certificate after, you will need to enter a Master's stream and do a Masters in Kinesiology (with a supervisor) plus certificate in AT. I believe this can be accomplished in 2 years. Don't quote me on that. Frances would be able to tell you more.

You need to take 8 PKIN courses over the course of 4 years (2 PKINS per year). Here are the categories (for anyone wondering):

Aquatic Courses

0200 0.00 Swimming I

0240 0.00 Life Saving I

0250 0.00 Life Saving II

0261 0.00 Lifeguarding I (NLS Course)

0262 0.00 Lifeguarding II (NLS Course)

0265 0.00 Competitive Lifesaving

0270 0.00 Skin Diving

0285 0.00 Aqua Fitness (Deep Water)

0291 0.00 Aquatic Instructor I

0292 0.00 Aquatic Instructor II

0294 0.00 Aquatic Sports and Activities

0295 0.00 Pre-Swim I

Team Games/Sports Courses

0301 0.00 Basketball I Co-ed

0302 0.00 Basketball I Men’s

0303 0.00 Basketball I Women’s

0304 0.00 Basketball II

0305 0.00 Field Hockey I

0306 0.00 Field Hockey II

0308 0.00 Football I

0328 0.00 Soccer I

0329 0.00 Soccer II (Coaching)

0330 0.00 Futsal

0332 0.00 Volleyball I

0333 0.00 Volleyball II

0336 0.00 Beach Volleyball I

0340 0.00 Softball

0350 0.00 Team Handball

0390 0.00 Team Sport Basic Skills

Individual and Dual Sports Courses

0400 0.00 Tai Chi I

0401 0.00 Tai Chi II

0402 0.00 Yoga I

0404 0.00 Aikido Yoshinkan

0405 0.00 Pilates

0410 0.00 Golf I

0411 0.00 Golf II

0415 0.00 Court Games

0416 0.00 Squash II

0435 0.00 Tennis I

0436 0.00 Tennis II

0437 0.00 Tennis Instructor

0440 0.00 Badminton I

0460 0.00 Strength Training

0465 0.00 Weightlifting

Dance/Gymnastics Courses

0500 0.00 Basic Movement

0502/0503 0.00 Men’s/Women’s Gymnastics I

0512/0513 0.00 Men’s/Women’s Gymnastics II

0514 0.00 Rhythmic Gymnastics I (W)

0560 0.00 Modern Dance I

0565 0.00 African and Caribbean Dance

0570 0.00 Ballroom Dance

0585 0.00 Country Dance

0590 0.00 Jazz Dance I

0595 0.00 Jazz Dance II

Track and Field Courses

0600 0.00 Track and Field I

0610 0.00 Track and Field II

Emergency Care Courses

0750 0.00 Emergency Care I

0770 0.00 First Aid/CPR Instructor

Additional Courses

(may be taken as electives)

0840 0.00 Elementary & Recreational Games

You need to take 1 PKIN from each of the CORE categories: aquatic, individual sport, team sport, dance/gymnastics, track and field, and emergency care + 2 optional (if you're on varsity team, you get PKIN credits so you don't have to do the additional pkins). Emergency care is a requirement (this gives you First Aid and CPR certification). I've taken: tennis, elementary and rec games, track and field I, swimming I, first aid instructor, modern dance I, team sport basic skills, emergency care. The best PKINS were by far elementary and rec games as well as team sport basic skills (they're run by Deb and she's absolutely amazing and fun!) Tennis was okay. I was on the varsity team so it didn't add much to what I've already known even though the coach tried to challenge me. Modern dance was good - there were 3 males in the class. Absolutely hilarious to watch them do plies. :D Track and field was run by an amazing track and field coach. I enjoyed his course a lot! First Aid Instructor was rather boring because it wasn't structured properly. But I believe they've worked on it and now it's a bit better. Swimming - well I couldn't swim at all and when I finished the PKIN, I was able to swim for over 2 hours (properly). Take it with Kathy if you want to learn how to swim properly. If you want to talk, take it with Dave.

I haven't taken any martial arts ones. I'm sure they're great too. I know of people who have taken those and they loved it!

For those who PMed me about PKINS and whether they're tough - no, they're not. Basically, they teach you everything from scratch. Yes, you will have people in the PKIN who are amazing (like varsity volleyball players in the volleyball PKIN), but there will also be people who completely suck. So don't worry about it. You have a pass/fail option so it can show up on your transcript as Pass or Fail (rarely anyone fails unless you don't come to class) or you can get a grade. If you plan on teaching as your career, maybe it would be better to have grades for these sports. Either way is okay. It doesn't count towards your GPA. If you get A in all PKINS, you get a pin at the end of your undergrad career.

Hey guys ! So lets start comparing York and Mac Kin !!

How are the class sizes different?

How good are the profs?

Which program provides enough flexibility for med pre reqs?

Anything else?

These two universities are both huge. The class size in the first 2 years, I am assuming, are big at both universities, with some classes being divided into sections. The profs within the kin field are good wherever you go. Last year's Canadian Biomech Society President was Dr. Peter Keir who is now at Mac. Mac is big in terms of physiology (correct me if I'm wrong).

I believe both programs are structured to be able to take pre med pre reqs. You just need to find a good adviser and you should be fine at either one of them.

To be quite honest, Mac is an okay program. York is a growing one. York is becoming pretty huge and it was ranked number 2 in Ontario for kinesiology (after Waterloo which has the best program by far). Mac would be ranked along the lines of Western and Queen's.

Mac courses

York courses

Waterloo courses

Queen's courses

Western courses (scroll down)

And yes, if you study with Waterloo, you can go abroad as an exchange student to study kinesiology for a semester (I believe). And no, other programs don't actually offer credits like this.

Other threads to check out for interest sake about Kinesiology:

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39630

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30321&highlight=kinesiology

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45803&highlight=kinesiology

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45916&highlight=kinesiology

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44347&highlight=kinesiology

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43961&highlight=kinesiology

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43768&highlight=kinesiology

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42179&highlight=kinesiology

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41636&highlight=kinesiology

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41746&highlight=kinesiology

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41523&highlight=kinesiology

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41165&highlight=kinesiology

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41120&highlight=kinesiology

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30639&highlight=kinesiology

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30491&highlight=kinesiology

Forgot to mention that Waterloo kine program can also be made into a co-op program which is a great way to connect with people, get references and experience the kinesiology field. Many people who have done co-op loved their positions and fell in love with kinesiology. Some of them managed to get a job right after undergrad.

FAQ:

Hi, I was just reading the thread about the kinesiology program at york and I noticed that you knew of some good research departments or clinics to volunteer at. As I am in my second year in kinesiology and looking to get involved in research, I was wondering if you could tell me of places to volunteer or do research in the kinesiology department, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I received this PM today and I'd like to share my answer with all of you.

Answer: It depends on what your specific research interest is. One way to get involved in research is to get either NSERC or CIHR over the summer.

Take a look at these two websites for more information about these prestigious scholarships:

NSERC

CIHR

CIHR has some very specific undergrad scholarships so you have to keep on checking the website for when they put them up. I received this scholarship as an undergrad student so it is quite possible to get it.

Another way to get involved in research is by taking up a course called Independent Study (check York list of courses). Depending on in which lab you end up, you might do a whole project yourself under the guidance of a professor or they will tell you what to do and you have to follow their "orders".

There's a couple of major labs at York to get involved with (depending on your interest).

Physiology: Dr. David Hood always accepts volunteers. He teaches exercise physiology. For him though, you should be looking for your GPA to be in the range of A- to A+.

Dr.Tara Haas accepts students for independent studies.

Biomechanics: Dr. William Gage always accepts volunteers as he has a load of graduate students that need help. The biomechanics department has moved to the Sherman Health Science Building and they truly have some of the most innovative equipment there (including an fMRI) and all of the technology you can imagine to examine human movement, ergonomics, spine, and brain. He also accepts students to do an independent study and this usually leads to your own project (and possibly a publication). This is his website so you can take a look at what his undergrad/grad students have done.

Dr. Anne Moore is a brilliant ergonomist. She usually accepts volunteers + independent study students. (scroll down to Anne Moore)

Dr. Janessa Drake is also a brilliant researcher. She does research on spine. Right now she is on sabbatical but she will be back next year.

If you want to know more about the research the above 3 professors do, let me know and I will give you more information as I've taken courses with them and worked closely with some of them.

Neuroscience: Dr. Maz Fallah, Dr. Doug Crawford (often needs volunteers), Dr. Denise Henriques (often needs volunteers and accepts independent study students)

Dr. Lauren Sergio (accepts 1 independent study student and this person is one lucky person). She's an amazing researcher and one of the world-renown. I've volunteered in her lab and if you're interested to find out more, let me know. She uses fMRIs often in her research and eye trackers.

That's all I can think of now. There are other researchers in the nutrition department but the ones mentioned above have very interesting research.

As for the clinics: if you're interested in gait research and neuroscience, one clinic you should definitively experience is Theraputix . You will learn a lot here (some good, some bad stuff and will be definitively challenged in terms of ethics ;)).

If you're interested, Ontario Kinesiology Association is getting licensed. You should become a member of OKA or a student member. With this membership you will often receive job postings/volunteer postings. If you're interested in biomechanics, joining Canadian Biomechanics Society (if you're interested, contact the student members to give you more info) would also give you more information about the field (Look under Executive at the bottom).

I think that's all I have for now. I'm sure I'll remember more some time later today.

I forgot to mention one crucial thing:

When you decide to get involved in research and with whom you want to get involved, make sure you read up some of their research before you go to meet with them. It is CRUCIAL that you know what you're talking about, as this MIGHT lead to a project of your own. This is important as you don't want to just be a lab rat and clean dishes. You want to actually experience research first hand. So, if you're thinking of approaching someone in neuroscience or biomechanics, having a project you might want to work on is a good idea. They might think it's a good idea or they might not. That's not what is important. What is important is that you have an idea about how to investigate something and they value this a lot. It shows off your leadership skills.

Also, knowing a bit more about their research gives you a huge plus. So don't be lazy and do a pubmed search. Start with most recent publications and work from there. I guarantee that they will be impressed and even if they reject you (which is always a possibility), they will keep in mind that you've known a lot about their research and they might call you back later on. This happened to me for one of the labs.

Edit: The reason why I mentioned only neuroscience and biomechanics is because in terms of physiology, these profs will tend to tell you what they want you to do. You don't have much of a choice. Ie. You are a lab rat.

Edit: If anyone wants information on what is going on within the Waterloo University research and kinesiology, let me know. I will post the same thing for Waterloo on here.

Thanks a bunch leap ! Your the best .

So to get those NSERC and CIHR awards, would you outright apply by yourself or only after contacting a researcher who is willing to work with you?

I really like that there are seemingly so many opportunities at York. So you would say its not too hard to get lab positions?

You would first contact a researcher. Here's what I would do: I'd contact a researcher, go for an interview and start volunteering in their lab. During the interview, I'd mention that I'd like to apply for NSERC or CIHR (depending on the project) and see what they say. Usually they're open for it. Dr. Hood though wants students with a high GPA to apply for NSERC. He stresses this. For both NSERC and CIHR, your average should be between A- and A+ though. Then you can both put together the application for it. I know for CIHR, the professor needs to write out a part of it and you'll need their CV as well to upload. If CIHR applies to your research, START EARLY! Because doing it last minute (like me) will tire you out to max. I had to pull some hard core strings to get my application signed (quite literally). The good thing was that my supervisor was VERY connected with the research department and he kind of pleaded with them and so did I. I got those signatures in a day. But DON'T do that! It would be literally insane.

There are a lot of opportunities at York. You just have to search for them. Even if you're really interested in physiology, I'd suggest diving into some other areas (like biomech and neuroscience). It gives you diversity. I did my own research in one lab and volunteered at another. So you can do that as well. Remember that undergrad is all about learning and experiencing everything that is out there. If I were you, I'd contact one of the profs from either neuro or biomechanics and just go see what they do in their labs. If you're not particularly interested in let's say biomech, just say you want to volunteer. This will be about 5-6 hours per week (if not less) and you get to see what goes on in the lab. Who knows... you might like it. I know for a fact biomech lab is open to that and if you contact Dr. Gage and meet with him, he'll be able to give you some kind of a volunteer position (I'm saying this because I KNOW he's looking for volunteers right now). :) If you want more info about his research and articles to check out, let me know.

It's not too hard if you're smart about it. :)

Hey leap, how does computer science relate to kinesiology? Just wondering since it seems so out of place. :P

Well, it is related in terms of my field so I'll talk about that. There are a bunch of computer softwares which require the knowledge of binary digits. Once you start processing a signal such as an EMG, you'll realize that the signal itself is a whole bunch of 0s and 1s (but that's besides the point).

Computer science course teaches you about different hardware and software. I've had my equipment fail so many times and give me some sort of an error. Because I took the computer science course I was able to figure out what the error is (this is especially important if this occurs during collection with a patient because they're dedicating a certain amount of time and you're under pressure to finish collecting in a certain amount of time). So, computer science can be applied to this. This course also teaches you different functions in Excel which can be used to process your data once you're done collecting. Knowing these functions is crucial - it will save you a lot of time and :confused: .

Once you start using programs like MATLAB, SciLab, Visual 3D, SPSS, SAS, etc. you realize how applicable that computer science course was. I realized that binary was important while processing an EMG signal. In fact, I had a question about 0s and 1s while using equipment to collect data. You've got to understand how technology works to be able to explain your results, biases, disadvantages, when people question it. Also to determine sampling rate and frequency, you need to apply binary. To patch up the timing in terms of a signal, you need to know binary. Also looking at MRIs requires the knowledge of pixels. If a patient moves, you need to know whether the MRI can be used or not.

While it might seem like this stuff is pretty useless, once you get into the lab and actually use this equipment, you realize how applicable the course is. :)

I could get into the details of signal processing, but I think that would be over your head right now.

hey , didnt want to uselessly start another post. But can anyone on the forum compare how easy or hard their respective kin programs are. Now im talking in terms of mark, test/exam styles, labs etc.

Which Uni's Kin program would be both easy and flexible?

Any input is welcome.

(ex. Is it easy to pull like high 80s in ZYX's kin program?)

hey , didnt want to uselessly start another post. But can anyone on the forum compare how easy or hard their respective kin programs are. Now im talking in terms of mark, test/exam styles, labs etc.

Which Uni's Kin program would be both easy and flexible?

Any input is welcome.

(ex. Is it easy to pull like high 80s in ZYX's kin program?)

Honestly, I don't really understand the sheer importance of this but I'll answer it anyway. I don't think anyone would be able to tell you whether the program is easy or not. It is up to YOU. If you study, it will be easy. If you don't, it won't be. It's THAT simple.

York University - most exams are M/C (until you get to 3rd and 4th years).

Waterloo University - short answer + presentations.

McMaster - I heard that the first year is brutal because you have to memorize a lot.

As for Queen's or Western, I wouldn't know because I don't care. I went through undergrad not really caring about my marks and I did good.

FAQ

ive seen many of your posts around the site and well eventhough some answer my questions, i am looking for a more specific answer.I was wondering about the Kin program at york and how benefical it is when compared to other universities?

I am applying soon and am still decideing between waterloo, york or western for kin. I live XX minutes away from york and perfer not to leave home but if the differences are drastic i am willing to live away. Also another question is about the chemistry courses as well as the overall lifestyle of both universities. I really do not enjoy chemistry as i like biology and humanities much more.

I am thinking of taking orgo in the summer? do you think thats a good idea?

I've received this PM, so I'm sharing my answer with all of you.

York kinesiology program is definitively one of the leading ones in Ontario. As I pointed out above, there are MANY excellent researchers that are willing to take on students if you're interested in research. If not, there are many options you can choose from. Remember, York University has over 50,000 students. Thus, it is a bigger program; there are more people competing probably for the same thing that you want. I can't really talk about how York is beneficial. For some people, York is awesome and they have a great experience in the kinesiology. For others, not so much. It depends on your personality type: either you fit in and you love it, or you don't. It took me about 2 years to find myself in York kinesiology.

Like I said in my previous posts, Waterloo has the best program in kinesiology. The downside of York that I found was the fact that it didn't really let you apply your knowledge until later years. So, what ended up happening to me (I'm a visual, hands-on learner) - I didn't learn much until upper years. Also, York kinesiology program uses cats to study anatomy. I didn't know my anatomy until I looked at the cadaver. Waterloo has cadavers and it also offers 3 different anatomy courses. So, you're bound to learn your anatomy.

I like Waterloo because the program is smaller and you get to interact with professors a lot more. That's not to say that at York you can't do this but for this to happen you have to go to their office, or after class, or chase them around. At Waterloo, on the other hand, as much as you chase the profs around, you know they're in one particular building and since it's a smaller class size they will most likely have time for you. I find that Waterloo program is much more intense than York, but ultimately, you learn more. Also, it is much easier to get involved at Waterloo than at York. Smaller number of people allow for this to occur. York has a lot of options in terms of clubs, but I find that the quality of these clubs ain't that good (and I've been around).

I believe you will have to take chemistry in your first year at Waterloo. But it's a good thing as it will give you some background for physiology and neurophys (if you end up taking it) plus the MCAT.

I don't think taking orgo in the summer is a good idea. I know people who have done it, but I don't recommend this. However, maybe people who have taken orgo in the summer can comment on this. I didn't take orgo myself.

As I promised: WATERLOO KIN INFO (RESEARCH)

Biomechanics/Ergonomics:

Dr. Jack Callaghan - his topic of research is spine. He's the Canada Research Chair in Spine Biomechanics and Injury Prevention. His lab uses a lot of the new equipment to look at the loading of the spine. One of his students was Dr. Drake, mentioned above, that is now at York University. He also uses porcine spine to look at different mechanisms of injury. There is a machine which loads these vertebrae at different loads/angles etc. to see the effect.

Dr. Clark ****erson - his topic is shoulder. He models the shoulder and looks at the loading of it from ergonomical perspective. He's a really approachable guy and really nice. Recently he was awarded a New Investigator Award by the Society for Biomechanics.

Dr. Stu McGill - HUGE in spine research. You've probably read some of his work in your textbooks. If you haven't, you should probably read some of his books. He looks at the spine not only from the level of research but also from the clinical perspective.

Dr. Steve Prentice - his research deals with gait - particularly over obstacles. Steve is also an Associate Chair for Undergraduate Studies and an absolutely awesome academic adviser. Very approachable and his lectures are always very interesting.

Dr. Rich Wells - he's the Director, CRE-MSD and an Adjunct Scientist, Institute for Work and Health, Toronto. His research deals with upper extremity and ergonomics.

Neuroscience

Dr. Bill McIlroy - he's an amazing person, professor and researcher. His research deals primarily with balance control. Right now, he's the Associate Dean of Graduate Studies and Research. He has connections to Toronto Rehab, Sunnybrook etc. and does a lot of research in collaboration with other professors (like Dr. Gage from York University). He also tends to accept volunteers in his lab.

Dr. Eric Roy - his research deals with concussions, apraxia, and upper extremity motor control, Parkinson's disease and Alzheimer's disease. He has connections with Sunnybrook, TRI, Baycrest and other hospitals in Toronto and all across Canada. He's a world renowned researcher and an amazing person.

Dr. Rich Staines - he is the Canada Research Chair in Sensorimotor Control and

Associate Chair for Graduate Studies. His research uses EEG.

I believe I have put up the courses offered by Waterloo. The program itself concentrates much more on applying the knowledge instead of pure memorization. I didn't include some of the other professors but you can find them on the website. I'm not really big in physiology so I wouldn't really know what to tell you about those professors. The program itself is intense but it is small. Many of Waterloo graduates end up finding a job pretty quickly (because of their Co-op option), some of them end up in med, others in physiotherapy. In fact most of the Biomechanics profs at Waterloo (actually all of them) are graduates of Waterloo.

Obviously there are clubs you can join in Waterloo. There aren't as many as at York but it helps you in maybe creating a new club.

EDIT: LOL. It seems like I can't type in Clark's last name since it is D.i.c.k.erson. LOL. You can find him if you do a search on Waterloo website. :)

Archived