Premed 101 Forums

messed up!!!!

this first year of university i messed up i got a 3.0 GPA, i don't know what i was thinking.

do i still stand a chance to get into med school? would it be good if i transferred universities so i would get the mark removed from my culminating?

I will get higher marks aiming for 3.8gpa

this first year of university i messed up i got a 3.0 GPA, i don't know what i was thinking.

do i still stand a chance to get into med school? would it be good if i transferred universities so i would get the mark removed from my culminating?

I will get higher marks aiming for 3.8gpa

You'll never get your marks removed from first year. It'll always follow you wherever you go.

I made the same mistake in my freshmen year and still regret every single day of what I did.

Some Canadian schools are forgiving, so yes, you do still have a chance to get into med school. Just browse around the forum and you'll find info that'll float your boat.

Don't freak out. There are a few universities that look at your best 2 years or your last 2 year GPA (i.e. Queen's looks at your cGPA first, if that doesn't make the cut off, they will take your GPA from your last 2 years of full time studies).

Also there are universities that have weighted GPA's as well (i.e. Ottawa)

Check around this forum or look at the med schools that you are interested in them to check their policies.

BUT if this was just your first year, then calm down! rock the next 3 years, and you'll be fine! A lot of people have bad years, whether it be a learning curve, partying, or illness, one bad year won't kill you, especially if it is your first!

Do well in the next three years and you should be fine.

Given that your max cGPA is now 3.75, your chances are hurt most at Mac - but you may still have a chance if you get a good MCAT verbal (you will probably need at least an 11).

With regards to UofT, you are fine as long as (1) You get straight A's for the rest of university (short of maybe a couple of B's) and (2) You don't drop any courses (and take full years)... if you drop a single course (or don't take a full course load), you are essentially done at UofT, so think about this in the future in considering which classes you are going to take.

With regards to Queens and Western, you are fine. They will look at your most recent 2 years and best 2 (full course load) years, respectively. So, like I said, do well for your remaining years (essentially straight A's, short of maybe a B here or there, depending on what other marks you have to pick up the slack), do well on the MCAT, and you should get an interview. (note: current safe MCAT score = 10 11 11 R... but who knows what it will be in 3 years lol)

With regards to Ottawa, they increase the weighting of each year's marks progressively, so you should have a shot as long as you do really well for the rest of undergrad.

All of this is pertaining to applying with an undergrad degree - there is more to consider if you applied with a Masters.

All considered, you are in first year, honestly forget about it. It can't be erased, and it won't sink you. You thinking about it for months will. Just study up and kill the next few years and you should be in the running.

Good luck

Do well in the next three years and you should be fine.

Given that your max cGPA is now 3.75, your chances are hurt most at Mac - but you may still have a chance if you get a good MCAT verbal (you will probably need at least an 11).

With regards to UofT, you are fine as long as (1) You get straight A's for the rest of university (short of maybe a couple of B's) and (2) You don't drop any courses (and take full years)... if you drop a single course (or don't take a full course load), you are essentially done at UofT, so think about this in the future in considering which classes you are going to take.

With regards to Queens and Western, you are fine. They will look at your most recent 2 years and best 2 (full course load) years, respectively. So, like I said, do well for your remaining years (essentially straight A's, short of maybe a B here or there, depending on what other marks you have to pick up the slack), do well on the MCAT, and you should get an interview. (note: current safe MCAT score = 10 11 11 R... but who knows what it will be in 3 years lol)

With regards to Ottawa, they increase the weighting of each year's marks progressively, so you should have a shot as long as you do really well for the rest of undergrad.

All of this is pertaining to applying with an undergrad degree - there is more to consider if you applied with a Masters.

All considered, you are in first year, honestly forget about it. It can't be erased, and it won't sink you. You thinking about it for months will. Just study up and kill the next few years and you should be in the running.

Good luck

LOL, in 3 years it'll be 11/13/11 T cutoff. :P

Sorry, just to clarify, dropping any course disqualifies you from the weighting formula? What if you had 6 or 7 classes in a semester and dropped down to 5, does that also disqualify you?

Sorry, just to clarify, dropping any course disqualifies you from the weighting formula? What if you had 6 or 7 classes in a semester and dropped down to 5, does that also disqualify you?

No, that's fine... as long as you have 5 courses/semester, that is a full course load

Archived