Premed 101 Forums

EC list

You don't need to fill up all of the available EC slots. If you're breaking down your commitment to one organization into several activities, it might be better NOT to stretch since doing so might make your commitment to that one organization less apparent. Ex. Let's say you were an executive on a club. You planned 5 events for the year. Instead of listing that you were an exec for a year, you broke down your commitment into planning 5 separate events. Putting "Club Exec - 2009" and then including the details of that position (in the "detailed" portion of your autobio sketch) might be more appropriate. At least that's what I did. Personally, if I were on an admin committee and had hundreds of apps to go to.. I'd scan the ECs section if it was too long. Quality vs. Quantity...

Anyone have any suggestions regarding EC's for someone who's struggled with an illness?

I was involved in quite a few things until about 2 years ago when I was struck with a chronic illness and had to stop everything (EC's, work and courses) for about a year and a half after my second year. I just started courses again this January, and I'm doing courses all summer as well. I'm going to attempt doing some sort of EC this summer, but I'm still trying to get my illness under control (although I am now about 75% back to my old self, I still struggle with chronic pain and fatigue).

I'm worried about how the gap in my EC's will look. It coincides with the gap in my undergrad courses, so do I need to worry as long as I explain that I was ill?

I included:

-certifications I had (from lifeguarding, CPR/SFA, etc...)

-awards

-scholarships

-volunteer positions

-employment

-hobbies

-activities I do outside school

-research

-education

In total, it ended up being about 39 or so entries.

I included:

-certifications I had (from lifeguarding, CPR/SFA, etc...)

-awards

-scholarships

-volunteer positions

-employment

-hobbies

-activities I do outside school

-research

-education

In total, it ended up being about 39 or so entries.

What do you mean by education? Isn't that listed elsewhere or did you mean something more specific

What do you mean by education? Isn't that listed elsewhere or did you mean something more specific

Education is part of the 48, so that is a guaranteed 2, lol (Uni and High School)

But I also had formal piano lessons for a long time, so I mentioned that

Anyone have any suggestions regarding EC's for someone who's struggled with an illness?

I was involved in quite a few things until about 2 years ago when I was struck with a chronic illness and had to stop everything (EC's, work and courses) for about a year and a half after my second year. I just started courses again this January, and I'm doing courses all summer as well. I'm going to attempt doing some sort of EC this summer, but I'm still trying to get my illness under control (although I am now about 75% back to my old self, I still struggle with chronic pain and fatigue).

I'm worried about how the gap in my EC's will look. It coincides with the gap in my undergrad courses, so do I need to worry as long as I explain that I was ill?

You will have an opportunity to explain the reason for this gap on your Ontario applications. There is a question that asks something along the lines of "have you ever had a gap in your education?" You can give illness as the reasoning, and explain that this has impacted your EC involvement as well. I don't think the gap in EC will be that critical, though. As long as you have some activities to list, you should be fine!

Archived