Premed 101 Forums

I flipped the script.

After being accepted to Carleton University BSc program I opted to decline the offer and do my first year via distance education through Thompson Rivers University, then switch to U of O for my remaining 3 years (as I need 3 years full time, inperson studies for U of O med). My 10 month old ended up with pertussis a few weeks before the deadline to accept my offer of admission and that made me realise that Im not quite ready to spend most of my days away from her, I just cant justify leaving her in the care of someone else while Im attending school. That being said I registered and was accepted at TRU in the BSc program and have since started some courses (1st year Bio, Chem, Calculus, and Anatomy and Physiology) Although Im glad to have more time to spend with my daughter who is still ill, Im am finding it so much harder to study at home by myself as opposed to in a class. My tutor usually takes 2-3 days to answer my questions and although she is available sunday and wednesday nights from 8pm-10pm, that its 11pm-1am my time.....Bio and Chem are kicking my ass!!! Anyone else do distance education? Any tips???

Hey,

I'm doing 4 distance ed courses for the summer (not the same ones as you), but I can sympathize. Doing first year chem and bio through distance ed is understandably challenging, given a lot of people who take it in class usually have trouble! My suggestion would be to get a private tutor to meet with in person(if it's financially feasible to do so) or maybe see if you can contact other students who are doing the same courses and maybe see if you can set up a study group that meets once a week or over the internet or something like that.

Also, take every chance you can get to study little things like equations and such. Try writing them on some cue cards and bringing them with you to appointments to read while you're in the waiting room, or tape them to the bathroom mirror in the morning while you're doing your hair or makeup. If you see them, you can refresh your memory, and study using fractions of time rather than having to always set aside specific time to study!

Good luck, distance ed can be a real challenge, but at least if you do well in these you will be able to show on your med school application that you are a self-directed learner!:)

After being accepted to Carleton University BSc program I opted to decline the offer and do my first year via distance education through Thompson Rivers University, then switch to U of O for my remaining 3 years (as I need 3 years full time, inperson studies for U of O med). My 10 month old ended up with pertussis a few weeks before the deadline to accept my offer of admission and that made me realise that Im not quite ready to spend most of my days away from her, I just cant justify leaving her in the care of someone else while Im attending school. That being said I registered and was accepted at TRU in the BSc program and have since started some courses (1st year Bio, Chem, Calculus, and Anatomy and Physiology) Although Im glad to have more time to spend with my daughter who is still ill, Im am finding it so much harder to study at home by myself as opposed to in a class. My tutor usually takes 2-3 days to answer my questions and although she is available sunday and wednesday nights from 8pm-10pm, that its 11pm-1am my time.....Bio and Chem are kicking my ass!!! Anyone else do distance education? Any tips???

Archived