Premed 101 Forums

Canadian IMG getting residency in US

Why would you believe him when the statistics show the exact opposite?

You'll note that I started my post with 'FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH'. This phrase indicated that I recognized there may be reliability issues. That being said, I believe Leviathan also goes to an Australian school and is stating numbers that seem to accord with my statement.

As far as the studies and numbers being posted in this thread, none of them are specific enough to comment on how specific schools compare in the in the process. To take the personal egos out of it for a moment, compare Canadian citizen who attends medical school at say Oxford or Cambridge versus a Canadian citizen who goes to Liberia for medical school. Both are IMGs in the view of Carms and US residency programs, but it is unrealistic to think they will have equal match rate success, clearly an Oxford grad will match almost 100% of the time while the Liberian grad will match very poorly.

This fact is supported by the above information on the top performing Carribean schools, the one poster's information on Flinders, and my unverified information from the Dean of Sydney. This fact is not dealt with by the studies that fail to distinguish between school of origin.

Not only that, but if they're self-reported there is no way to prove their accuracy.

I would really find that hard to believe if a student lied to the school about matching to a program when they then have to reapply the following year for residency. The school would just possibly realize something is up. :P

You'll note that I started my post with 'FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH'. This phrase indicated that I recognized there may be reliability issues. That being said, I believe Leviathan also goes to an Australian school and is stating numbers that seem to accord with my statement.

I go to Saba University, not an Australian school.

clearly an Oxford grad will match almost 100% of the time while the Liberian grad will match very poorly.

Really? Can we have a source on that? It sounds very specific.

In an unrelated issue, I was wondering about the two rows "withdraw" and "

no rank list". Does this include the people who applied but simply got no interviews? They make up close to 30% of the IMG applicants from the previous figure.

Really? Can we have a source on that? It sounds very specific.

No, as I said we don't have stats on specific schools, so we can't know for sure if Oxford has a better match rate than a Liberian university. However, I used the school where Rhodes scholars attend to prove that very point.

You are of course free to believe that Oxford graduates don't match well...

Archived