Premed 101 Forums

Internal Medicine Elective Prerequisites

Hi there,

I understand that to do visiting clerkship electives in some disciplines, one is required to have completed their core clerkship in that discipline (or related) at their home school.

I was just wondering if anyone knew how common this requirement was with internal medicine visiting electives. I am interested in Ontario schools (Toronto, Queen's, Ottawa). I have tried looking at some visiting elective websites and don't see mention of this requirement.

In other words, do these schools require me to have completed my internal medicine core clerkship prior to doing an elective in IM or an IM subspecialty at their site.

Thanks

Can't speak to Toronto, but two years ago I did IM specialty electives at the other schools (rheum at Ottawa, ID at Queen's) prior to my medicine blocks. At that time, there was no requirement for having completed these blocks and a cursory glance at the websites doesn't indicate they are required. From what I can recall, that seemed to be more of a stipulation with peds, OB, and general IM (i.e. CTUs). Things change, so your best bet might be calling/emailing the respective elective offices.

Don`'t know the answer to your question.

However, just a couple of things to consider in your planning.

1) it will be harder to impress a program during a visiting elective if you have never done your core at your home program

2) probably best to do CTU rather than subspecialties for your visiting electives imo, as it gives you a feel for the core program, you get to make more general contacts that are relevant to your application.

Your experience in subspecialties will be quite different than CTU and so, as least for me, I would find it easier come raking time if I had experienced CTU in the places I was interested in.

Hi there,

I understand that to do visiting clerkship electives in some disciplines, one is required to have completed their core clerkship in that discipline (or related) at their home school.

I was just wondering if anyone knew how common this requirement was with internal medicine visiting electives. I am interested in Ontario schools (Toronto, Queen's, Ottawa). I have tried looking at some visiting elective websites and don't see mention of this requirement.

In other words, do these schools require me to have completed my internal medicine core clerkship prior to doing an elective in IM or an IM subspecialty at their site.

Thanks

Archived