Premed 101 Forums

Out of curiosity...

Did you legitimately prepare for the mcat WS?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Did you legitimately prepare for the mcat WS?

• yes
    • no

who legitimately prepared for the MCAT WS?

I wanted to, but couldn't bring myself to write practice essays... I think I tried writing 1 lol

Almost everyone I talked to said the same thing as well - that they found it very difficult to bring themself to prep for the WS

note: this isn't an endorsement to not prepare for the WS lol

who legitimately prepared for the MCAT WS?

I wanted to, but couldn't bring myself to write practice essays... I think I tried writing 1 lol

Almost everyone I talked to said the same thing as well - that they found it very difficult to bring themself to prep for the WS

note: this isn't an endorsement to not prepare for the WS lol

hmmm depends on what you mean by "legitimately". I wrote maybe 1 or 2 essays completely, just to see my timing. But everyday I went through a few sample prompts, and just went through in my head what my points would be. I also made sure to keep up-to-date on the news and such, and made sure I had 2-3 examples for each category (business, arts, education, etc).

Define "legitimately".

I didn't go into the MCAT and wing it, but I also didn't study for it anywhere near as much as the other sections. I think I did 3-4 practice essays on my computer, and all the essays in the MCAT practice series (through AAMC). I would also say I made about 10 outlines for practice prompts using the Princeton Review "method" for WS.

Ended up with an S.

Nope, I am a pretty good writer (or at least I like to think of myself as a good writer), and I got a Q the first time, then an S the next 2 times without any prep

All I did was look at the examples on the AAMC e-mcat site for good writing samples, saw their structure and followed suit.

The first time around I didn't do very much practice and got an N so for my second MCAT I wrote all the AAMC practice essays (10+) plus a couple extras from my MCAT book, ended up with a Q.

Writing isn't really my forte and the WS was the reason I didn't get any interviews the first time I applied, so I went all out the second time. I also took first year english, that helped with writing.

I didn't write any practice essays, and kinda prayed my prompts wouldn't have to do with business/econ. Come MCAT day, I had one essay on higher education, and a second on music...lucked out for sure!

we must have written on the same day! i really thought i was god-struck to have such easy prompts haha

LOL- I wrote about Arnold Swartzenegger's early bodybuilding career!

I wrote more than a few, but I used them more as study breaks than anything. I got an R and an S.

I like writing, so I would throw one into my study day once a week or so, and every second day or so near the end.

As an aside....

I think they should have options for the MCAT writing prompts! As much as they like to say that all you need is "general knowledge" to write an essay, I find some of the topics are much more difficult to discuss than others. Given that they are trying to evaluate our ability to WRITE and not our ability to spew sh*t or give facts... I think that having options and giving us a choice to write about a topic we are more comfortable/confident with makes sense.

As an aside....

I think they should have options for the MCAT writing prompts! As much as they like to say that all you need is "general knowledge" to write an essay, I find some of the topics are much more difficult to discuss than others. Given that they are trying to evaluate our ability to WRITE and not our ability to spew sh*t or give facts... I think that having options and giving us a choice to write about a topic we are more comfortable/confident with makes sense.

i agree... especially when it comes to politics or history, many people don't have "general" examples

I quite enjoy literature and writing in general so I didn't prepare and got a T the first time and an S the second time...I definitely had a more difficult time coming up with examples the second time I wrote which is probably why my score dropped slightly...BUT I think the main way to do well on the writing sample is by being a strong writer as well as skilled at making a concise argument in a limited amount of time. For the second MCAT I used Michael Moore as an example and he is a fat piece of biased crap, so the examples are not necessarily essential to scoring well; how you use whatever you can come up with to defend you thesis is. Obviously this is within reason though; if you are unable to come up with an even remotely sensible example(s), then your argument kind of falls apart so it always helps to be well rounded in random knowledge about the world.

I was overconfident about my writing skills the first time around, and didn't prepare at all. I read a couple of sample essays in my MCAT prep book, and that was it. I ended up with an O.

Moral of the story: prepare for the WS.

The second time, I still didn't have much time to study, but I spent a little more time on WS by writing several sample prompts. I still found difficulty coming up with examples on the second go at the MCAT, and ended up with only a Q.

I think something that is really important to do, is come up with examples and counterexamples for every category of prompt that appears on the MCAT, by catching up with the news and stuff. That, and practice writing the 3-paragraph structure of the essay that they're looking for.

Archived