Premed 101 Forums

At what schools are my stats competitive?

Hi everyone, I've been reading these forums for a long time. Seeing as how I'll be applying this cycle, I thought it was time to finally make a post :). I'm a Queen's Life Sciences student (just finished 3rd year). I just wanted to know roughly how competitive my application would be for Canadian med schools. My stats:

1st year GPA: 3.83

2nd year GPA: 3.72

3rd year GPA: 3.74

cGPA: 3.76

UT wGPA: 3.87

MCAT: 38R (BS - 14, PS - 13, V - 11)

ECs: Hospital volunteering, physician shadowing, high school community service council, tutoring, member of two exec committees, volunteer patient (for 1st and 2nd year med students), one summer of research, one summer working in a hospital administrative position

I'm most concerned about my GPA - I'm currently contesting a grade for one of my 3rd year courses, but I don't really know how fruitful it's going to be. At which schools do I stand the best chances? Thanks for everyone's help!

Hi everyone, I've been reading these forums for a long time. Seeing as how I'll be applying this cycle, I thought it was time to finally make a post :). I'm a Queen's Life Sciences student (just finished 3rd year). I just wanted to know roughly how competitive my application would be for Canadian med schools. My stats:

ECs: Hospital volunteering, physician shadowing, high school community service council, tutoring, member of two exec committees, volunteer patient (for 1st and 2nd year med students), one summer of research, one summer working in a hospital administrative position

I'm most concerned about my GPA - I'm currently contesting a grade for one of my 3rd year courses, but I don't really know how fruitful it's going to be. At which schools do I stand the best chances? Thanks for everyone's help!

competitive is a strong word to use. You would be about middle of the pack where it matters (ottawa, u of t and mac), and will make the cutoff at the places where it doesnt matter as much (western, Queens). So overall... a good position to be in.

Great Mcat though ! :P

I will address each school.

NOSM - unless from the north, unlikely

Ottawa - unless from Ottawa area, ZERO CHANCE

Toronto - as a 4th year applicant, ok chance...probably below average GPA, but this year I saw many people with you GPA getting interviews (though most seemed to be waitlisted as opposed to outright accepted, if you look at the Toronto board).

Queen's - Great chance

UWO - Good chance (GPA might be a bit low, and if they go back up to a 3.75 in 2 years, your 4th year will HAVE to be 3.75).

McMAster - decent chance (gpa mediocore, verbal is great).

So there you go. If you applied this year, you would have had 2 interviews for sure.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived