Premed 101 Forums

Continue searching in Foothills or commute?

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some advice on housing. Initially I was looking for a 1bdrm/studio condo nearby but am learning quickly that these aren't really available in Foothills.

I have found a really nice townhouse in RockyRidge NW and it's a 15 minute drive along Crowchild but I'm wondering if this is too far. I would get a car if I moved here... but I have no idea if Crowchild is a freeway, has a ton of intersections, or what the traffic is like.

Any thoughts? I could use some advice as I really don't know much about Calgary driving and traffic at all! Thanks!

Crowchild is a freeway. Rarely lights, just exit ramps. Yet still gets a little congested during rush hour.

Is the place you're looking at near a C-train station? Alot of people who live north of the hospital along Crowchild find it very reasonable to take the C-train + 1 bus to the hospital.

You don't even need a car right away. The bus literally takes 10 minutes to the Crowfoot station and then the train another 10 or so and then one bus to the Health Sciences centre. Altogether it takes around 45 minutes which may be "inconvenient" to some but when you take into account the money you will save by using transit for the first little while it is not so bad. If anything you do not need a car right away and can take a few months before purchasing one. There are a lot of great communities surrounding the Foothills area so by no means is trying to find a place so near the med school essential.

go to http://www.calgarytransit.com and try to find a place on a bus route directly to the hospital. There's several routes that converge at the hospital so there is plenty of options; don't be looking at abstract distance away from the hospital. I live a stonethrow away from the hospital but it's too far to walk and its quite a walk to a bus route as well so I drive.

Archived