Premed 101 Forums

New for 2011-2012 applications

Notes for prospective 2011/2012 applicants

Beginning with the 2011 -2012 application cycle, only those activities which have been started before the application opening date will be included in the non-academic evaluation of a file. Activities started, or hours logged after the application opens will not be included in any file evaluation.

So, does that mean that June 7th is the latest we can report our hours logged? Even if we are continuing our activities throughout the summer, are we still supposed to list the end date as "June 7th, 2010"? I don't like it.

So, does that mean that June 7th is the latest we can report our hours logged? Even if we are continuing our activities throughout the summer, are we still supposed to list the end date as "June 7th, 2010"? I don't like it.

the worst part about that is if you are waitlisted and don't get your evaluation sheet back before then you have no chance to start something new....I understand that it is a bit late to start something with only three months til the application is due but still!!!!

I don't get the no essay thing either. Maybe they found no correlation between the strength of an essay and the quality of the applicant? Or maybe everyone had the same basic backstory last cycle and they got tired of reading it.

I agree and also, atleast for me, I do not have anything in the essay that is not included in list of activities anyway...just a more elaborate explanation of things...

if there's going to be less work involved in reviewing the applicants (which without the essay, is pretty much all automated), maybe they should make the application fee cheaper.

Well if they receive ~ $100 from each applicant and assuming that an admin employee earns about $20-25/hour, which is a reasonable assumption for a public employee, then that is just 4-5 hours to evaluate each application (grades and NAQ), set-up interviews, contact verifiers, etc... I am quite sure they go through the application fee and then some...who knows though...

I heard they got rid of the essay because people were having them written for them and they would be granted an interview and then show up with poor understanding of english....but that may just be a rumor

I have definitely heard the same thing (maybe it was on here?).

Yeah - they dropped the essay because they could not properly verify that students had written it themselves (essentially a few bad apples wrecked it for the rest of us...so thanks to those who are dishonest cheaters [sarcasm]....;)).

This is confirmed in the March 2010 UBC Senate Minutes:

http://www.senate.ubc.ca/vancouver/minutes.cfm?article=minute09-10/1003/march31.pdf

"Dr. Singh asked about the deletion of the requirement for a non-academic autobiographical

essay, and noted that it seemed unclear how the various admission requirements

would be weighted. Dr. Fielding explained that it had been difficult for Medicine to verify

that these essays had been written by the applicants themselves. Dr. Harrison observed

that admissions changes proposed by the Faculty of Medicine were generally based on

careful thought and research, and he suggested that Senate avoid making significant

amendments on the Senate floor."

I wonder when the May 2010 minutes will be posted and if anything else will be mentioned about the changes made...

Notes for prospective 2011/2012 applicants

Beginning with the 2011 -2012 application cycle, only those activities which have been started before the application opening date will be included in the non-academic evaluation of a file. Activities started, or hours logged after the application opens will not be included in any file evaluation.

where does it say this??

"NOTE: Applicants must not include additional/expected time for activities that extend beyond the application deadline. Calculation of total hours for continuing activities must use the application deadline as the cut-off date."

doesnt this suggest sept 1?

Yes, that is correct for this coming application cycle, i.e. the one due THIS September.

Next year's app, the one that will be due Sept 2011, the rules will change. Any volunteer work you are planning on doing between now and a year from now will count, but anything after early June 2011 will not be allowed on your Sept 2011 application.

Yeah - they dropped the essay because they could not properly verify that students had written it themselves (essentially a few bad apples wrecked it for the rest of us...so thanks to those who are dishonest cheaters [sarcasm]....;)).

This is confirmed in the March 2010 UBC Senate Minutes:

http://www.senate.ubc.ca/vancouver/minutes.cfm?article=minute09-10/1003/march31.pdf

"Dr. Singh asked about the deletion of the requirement for a non-academic autobiographical

essay, and noted that it seemed unclear how the various admission requirements

would be weighted. Dr. Fielding explained that it had been difficult for Medicine to verify

that these essays had been written by the applicants themselves. Dr. Harrison observed

that admissions changes proposed by the Faculty of Medicine were generally based on

careful thought and research, and he suggested that Senate avoid making significant

amendments on the Senate floor."

I wonder when the May 2010 minutes will be posted and if anything else will be mentioned about the changes made...

Thanks for the info, though I have to say I thoroughly disagree with it. I sincerely hope they add a section where we can elaborate on less traditional aspects of life.

so there are no extra questions or areas to address the issue of why we want to go into medicine.....which I think sucks...they are taking the personality out of the process!

Agreed. I wonder if they have considered that they may be inadvertently selecting for a one dimensional student population (in some respects) between the lack of essay and a scripted MMI interview format?

The app is online now for 2011 entry. It looks like there is a short section to "elaborate on less traditional aspects of life".

As to "taking the personality out"- I'm sure the answers to those questions are really, really boring to go through. No one is going to give reasons like money, power, respect in their application or in an interview.

I did really enjoy writing my essay, though.

Archived