Premed 101 Forums

New for 2011-2012 applications

I heard they got rid of the essay because people were having them written for them and they would be granted an interview and then show up with poor understanding of english....but that may just be a rumor

No, I heard the same thing...and I know of a few people who hired pros to write their essays. Cheap, I know...but there is a strong incentive to do so if you have poor english language skills.

No, I heard the same thing...and I know of a few people who hired pros to write their essays. Cheap, I know...but there is a strong incentive to do so if you have poor english language skills.

Thats not just cheap but dishonest and illegal. Just because there's a huge incentive to cheat doesn't justify or mean you should do it. Furthermore, even if you get passed the essay stage, how would you get pass the interview? I really don't want people who cheated on their application to be my doctor. :mad:

In the middle of exams right now...but quick break! I quite enjoyed writing my essay and I think it helped me alot. I didn't have anyone read over it or edit it for me (actually no one edited my application), but I think my essay was a strong selling point to my application. On the other hand, I DO know of people who had alot of **help** with their essays and I can totally see how unfair it is for those who don't have **help**. I got in, but alot of it was good luck I guess. Overll, I think the process is more fair without the essay. Thanks alot to those rotten apples who forged wonderful essays lol.

I just want to add that I think it is great to have someone proof read the essay/ application. But the line should be drawn when someone actually writes the things for you!

I dont understand, How can taking out the essay affect an honest application so greatly :confused: ? . I mean (considering the time they take to make decisions) the adcom's took out the essay probably because the number of dishonest applicants getting an edge was significant.

Regarding the "why did you chose medicine question", you can simply explain it in the "If exceptional circumstances have affected your education and /or non-academic activities, you may provide a short explanation here" on ur application and further elaborate during the interview . The essay is afterall only a more subjective reflection of your NAQ's and grade trends.

Being the devil's advocate here.

I think we need to distinguish between a person who gets another person (commercial, friend, or whoever) to write a great essay and one who gets people to proof read their essay, provide suggestions and adds to the essay based on that.

In many aspects of life you will get feedback on reports, grant applications, etc... There is nothing wrong with that as long as the ideas are your own and what you are writing in your essay is really you and not the applicant that you think ubc is looking for.

Being the devil's advocate here.

I think we need to distinguish between a person who gets another person (commercial, friend, or whoever) to write a great essay and one who gets people to proof read their essay, provide suggestions and adds to the essay based on that.

In many aspects of life you will get feedback on reports, grant applications, etc... There is nothing wrong with that as long as the ideas are your own and what you are writing in your essay is really you and not the applicant that you think ubc is looking for.

i concur (10cha)

I've also heard of someone getting someone else to write their essay, and then getting in too. I'm sure it happens a lot, so it does seem fairest to remove the essay.

I dont understand, How can taking out the essay affect an honest application so greatly :confused: ? . I mean (considering the time they take to make decisions) the adcom's took out the essay probably because the number of dishonest applicants getting an edge was significant.

Regarding the "why did you chose medicine question", you can simply explain it in the "If exceptional circumstances have affected your education and /or non-academic activities, you may provide a short explanation here" on ur application and further elaborate during the interview . The essay is afterall only a more subjective reflection of your NAQ's and grade trends.

Can't really elaborate on anything in the interview however. Most people were concerned because we didn't know if they were going to add in that extra section you're referring to.

The instructions in that section state that it is NOT supposed to be used in lieu of the autobiographical essay, so there actually is no place to explain why you want to be a doc.

oh sorry then, though their must be some way that med schools can learn of this motivation :confused: . or is the trend moving towards accepting that medical school will soon be all about the motivation coming from money :eek: ?

I say a TV program a few days ago at a friends house where a 19 yr old girl claimed to be interested in plastic surgery cause she wanted to make loads of money (just wait till she gets to third year ).

oh sorry then, though their must be some way that med schools can learn of this motivation :confused: . or is the trend moving towards accepting that medical school will soon be all about the motivation coming from money :eek: ?

No one is going to write that in their essay anyways, so what's the point? I sure don't want to read 2000 essays from people dancing around the money talk.

There would be no way to figure out who was sincere and who wasn't, just from the essay. I'm glad this topic came up because I never realized until now how pointless the essay actually is- I mean, what would make a bad essay? I'm sure we all have different motivations, but why would one of us deserve more marks over another?

There is one reason why we all like to have the essay included- we LOVE talking about ourselves. That's it.

I say a TV program a few days ago at a friends house where a 19 yr old girl claimed to be interested in plastic surgery cause she wanted to make loads of money (just wait till she gets to third year ).

Great statistical sample.... a teenager in a TV show... Man have you done your homework, I hope the adcom wasn't watching that show too, otherwise they'll also have figured out that we're all just in it for the money and reject us all.

Some of the asinine stuff you read on here.... wow.

Great statistical sample.... a teenager in a TV show... Man have you done your homework, I hope the adcom wasn't watching that show too, otherwise they'll also have figured out that we're all just in it for the money and reject us all.

Some of the asinine stuff you read on here.... wow.

Some people take even a minor statement too seriously........i recall adding wait for her to reach third year........oh but i forgot to mention it was a real grade 12 survey..

Archived