Premed 101 Forums

Dal Med NB vs Memorial

Hi,

I've been a long time lurker on this board. The information on premed101 has been invaluable to me throughout the application process. I thought I wasn't going to have to make this decision, but I was just offered admission at Memorial, off of the NB waitlist. I have already been accepted to Dal, and would be attending the Saint John campus.

This is a difficult decision for me, as both schools have pros and cons. Some people might be or have been in a similar position, I was wondering what people's thoughts were on the advantages/disadvantages of each program?

For me the Dal Saint John campus is attractive, because I would be close to home (Fredericton). However, it is the first year of the program in Saint John. There are bound to be some hiccups along the way.

Memorial is attractive because it is an established program, in a cool city and at a university which has full facilities (libraries, athletic facilities etc.). Also, the tuition is somewhat less than Dal's.

Any thoughts/opinions would be greatly appreciated. I need to make the decision in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks

Dal will have a new first year curriculum in both SJ and Halifax in September, but I think the hiccups are being planned for sufficiently well. Otherwise, you might consider differences in program structure - Dal emphasizes tutorials, case-based learning, self-directed learning time, and lots of early clinical exposure. I don't know much about MUN, but I know it's much more didactic/lecture-based.

Some pictures/info about the new SJ campus here: http://newbrunswick.medicine.dal.ca/projectphotos.htm

Hey,

I don't know if this is helpful but I visited the SJ Dal campus a few weeks ago and it is very nice. The staff are very helpful and most of them have experience working with med students because they used to work for the residency program at the SJ hospital. The rooms where the video conferencing will take place is very impressive. There are three 83 inch TVs that will broadcast from Halifax as well as a full time technician to make sure that everything goes smoothly. Interesting fact, the courses will not all be taught from Halifax. Some of the professors will actually be in SJ and Halifax will be participating by videoconference.

I got a very good first impression from that visit and I am happy to go to SJ next year. However, I've never been to Memorial University (although, I've heard very good things about there campus and medical program.) so my opinion is probably biased.

Good luck with your decision and congrats on the two acceptance.

I think it is important to keep in mind that Dalhousie is just as much a well established school. I do also believe that there maybe some glitches along the way with the teleconferencing, etc but I do also believe that it is being planned for. Teleconferencing isn't a new concept and there are other satellite campuses across Canada using the same technology so Dal isn't travelling down an unbeaten path.

I would also keep in mind that the Saint John Regional Hospital has been a teaching facility for Dal for quite some time has much to offer. Although UNBSJ is a small (very small lol) campus, they do have gym/rec facilities and all of the other services that most universities offer. Also it has programs in many of the allied health professions. There is also an allied health building to be built in the near future.

I know a few people currently attending Dal and MUN. From what I hear both programs are well-liked. I am under the impression that Dal offers a lot more clinical experience in the pre-clerkship years and that the problem-based learning style cirricullum prepares students well for practice. I hear MUN has such a great atmosphere and St. John's is a fabulous place to live.

My decision was based on the clinical exposure, the problem-based learning style, and the opportunity to stay close to home. Everyone values things differently though. It is really a personal decision.

Congrats on your acceptances! Both schools are great:)

Even as someone who plans on attending dal, I am weary of the lack of diversity in the class due to the fact that it's only for nb students. Also there is no class is above us so we will be a bit isolated. But again it's a great program, but so is mun.

I haven't attended either school for med, but I have attended MUN and I've been at Dal (my husband was there) millions of times. I've lived in both cities. The schools even out in their pros and cons from everything we've dealt with.

St. John's is a lovely city--would love to go back there above a lot of other cities I've lived in. It's been far too long since I visited St. John, NB to make a judgement.

Pro MUN: CHEAP tuition.

• 2 weeks later...
after weighting pros and cons of each school... it finally ends up coming down to where you'd prefer to live

i would agree...personally i am going with mun. i'm not a huge fan of saint john, think st johns will be more fun for my preferences. for me, mun feels like a safer bet and lets face it, you only need to stay two years if you want elsewhere for clerkship

$7k tuition at MUN is pretty attractive when you look at Dal's $14k. And you can do all your 3rd and 4th year in NB if you want anyway.

Plus come on.

St. John's: Booze filled party capital of Canada world renowned for being full with super nice citizens. Lots of unique culture. Beautiful scenery.

Saint John: Stinky industrial city. Often called the armpit of Canada. Extremely DULL. No nightlife. Devoid of culture.

Harsh, but I've lived in both cities so I feel I can comment.

If this was Halifax, Vancouver, Victoria, Montreal or Ottawa vs. St. John's, then it would be a tougher decision.

I know one thing better about NB...the weather. I hate having winter for the few months we have it here and I don't think I would much like the freezing, rainy, stormy, foggy weather throughout most of the school year in St. Johns. Agreed on the beauty and fun of the city of though...if you don't freeze to death while enjoying it:P

Hey! I have to spend 6 weeks in the John for peds in the fall. I mean, it's not like SJ is Edmonston? Not even the worst in NB, let alone Canada. Has anyone here actually spent much time in Windsor, Ont., Kitchener, Hamilton, or Trois-Rivieres, QC?

Hey! I have to spend 6 weeks in the John for peds in the fall. I mean, it's not like SJ is Edmonston? Not even the worst in NB, let alone Canada. Has anyone here actually spent much time in Windsor, Ont., Kitchener, Hamilton, or Trois-Rivieres, QC?

I spent time in Trois Rivieres. Didn't seem too bad, but I was about 15 at the time so it was a while ago.

I know one thing better about NB...the weather. I hate having winter for the few months we have it here and I don't think I would much like the freezing, rainy, stormy, foggy weather throughout most of the school year in St. Johns. Agreed on the beauty and fun of the city of though...if you don't freeze to death while enjoying it:P

Alcohol keeps you warm right?

Spring is better in NB I'll give them that.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived