Premed 101 Forums

A Girl looking for some help **Please**

My situation:

Hey yall, I go to University, and I will be a 2nd year student.

-for those who don't know my university is a "easier school" to get into, I had a 70 average in high school

My major is business, and I would like to transfer after my 2nd year to the UWO Ivey Business. I will have the prerequisites, in terms of courses and I am planning to lead some charity events, this summer. (showing some leadership)

My 1st year average mark is at a 73%, but right now I am serious, about going to med school.

-I am also doing a grade 12 chemistry course, online with IlC, independent learning center. (will this effect my university GPA??, cause I might drop it)

How will all this transferring & high school credits and stuff effect my GPA?

A couple of things, banking on an average that is 17 percent higher than your high school average and 14 percent higher than your 1st year marks probably isn't something that is realistic unless you have some pretty significant reasons for not getting a better average. If it is comes down to studying vs. partying, yeah, you could probably see a big jump if you put effort into your studies.

High school credits have nothing to do with your University GPA and will not affect your application to University. However if you are serious about medicine, why are you taking a high school chemistry course, and then why are you considering dropping it?

Transferring Universities won't hurt your application as long as you end up with a degree at the school that you transfer to, providing you are applying to schools like UWO that have an "honours degree requirement". Schools that only need a partial degree won't care in the least as long as you meet their course requirements. Keep in mind that when you transfer Universities that you often don't get full credit for a number of the courses that you took at your original school. While their marks may carry forward for you when applying to Medicine, you might have to do an extra year at Western to get a degree from them if they don't accept all of your Trent courses.

Like others have said, I think you really have to look at WHY your marks weren't as high in high school and university as they need to be. My marks dropped like crazy from high school to first year, but I know the reasons (far too much partying first semester, pulled up my socks second semester and did much better). So if you can see a clear reason, such as motivation, study habits, partying, etc. that is good.

This year you are going to need to work very hard at getting a competitive GPA, because while some universities will "throw out" first year marks, second year marks do count. You also have to keep in mind that students typically take the MCAT after their second year of study. You are going to need that grade 12 chem knowledge (and more) for the MCAT, and also the science prereqs for applying to med. Maybe try some first year science courses this year (like bio), and if after second year you think that med is for you, take chem and physics in the summer with a tutor, and MCAT after 3rd year.

Those are just my thoughts, sit down and do some thinking!!! It's a big decision to shoot for med. For me it took a lot of time and soul searching to decide. Because IMHO, you either go all out, or not at all.

Better question would be, why goto Ivey if you want meds. Is it to have a good backup?

All my friends in Ivey never stop *****ing about how they mark. Everyone get's like 76-82 pretty much without exception. There are no 90 students in that school.

Better question would be, why goto Ivey if you want meds. Is it to have a good backup?

All my friends in Ivey never stop *****ing about how they mark. Everyone get's like 76-82 pretty much without exception. There are no 90 students in that school.

Agreed. My friend in Ivey has been b!itching about this non stop. Apparently it's pretty easy to get in the 76-82 range, but anything remotely higher is damn near impossible. They mark group projects really heavily and only a few groups are allowed to do well.

As someone else said, your average needs to be in the 80s to get into Ivey and they DO look at first year marks. Basically, your chances at Ivey are slim to none. That aside, why even go into a very cut-throat, competitive and heavy work-load professional business program when you want to do med after? You DO realize Ivey tuition is like 20 grand a year? People pay this kind of money because they are aiming for good BUSINESS jobs once they graduate...not to go on to another four years of expensive med school.

Archived