Premed 101 Forums

IMG, elective in Canada

Hello everyone,

I am a Canadian citizen in my final year of medicine in the UK. I am in the process of setting up electives back home, with a plan to eventually return to Canada after my intern year here in the UK.

I have heard horror stories from previous Canadian students who have gone back to Canada for electives. The main message from them seems to be that the Canadian students are at a far more advanced stage than the equivalent students here. This is completely possible, as I have realized that education here is quite inferior -- patient contact is limited, teaching from supervising clinicians is almost non-existent, and let's not even start on lack of practical skills.

So my questions is, how did other Canadians who have been through this approach this problem? Were the Canadian students really that much better? How were you able to perform to a high enough level to obtain the all important LOR's? Any suggestions on which universities are better, for an IMG, to do electives in?

I would greatly appreciate any input on this. I am a hard worker, and any advice now on how I could prepare myself would be great, as I would get started on it ASAP.

That is strange I thought some UK schools were comparable to the Canadian ones...referring to the Irish schools...although I am unsure what part of Ireland they are in so they may not be in the UK? Either way I would think med schools in England are good too.

I'm assuming you're referring to the Irish schools such as UC Dublin, Trinity, etc.., since the Northern Ireland schools would generally be referred to as "UK schools" since they are all regulated by the General Medical Council (GMC) which regulates all of the UK schools.

I can't comment on the Irish schools, but I can't imagine they're that different from the UK ones. Maybe I'm wrong.

As for the UK schools, I think generally worldwide they have a good reputation, but I'd imagine that reflects more how they were a LONG time ago, say 30 years? Over the last decade, at least, medical class sizes in the UK have expanded greatly, without any matching increase in teaching facilities, or teachers! Generally what you get is "consultants" (attendings over here) who have no interest in teaching you, and make it very clear! You are largely ignored, and are given absolutely no responsibility. Once in a while you get the odd one who realizes that teaching you is part of their job responsibility. When you are lucky enough to meet one of those, you need to make sure you learn as much from them as you can.

As for how things are in different areas of the country, I'd say they are exactly the same. All of the medical schools are very tightly regulated by the GMC here, and things are pretty standardized across the board. I've spoken to students from other schools, and it all sounds very much the same. So while Oxford and Cambridge may have the reputation, they curricula are very similar to others.

I think the real learning here happens in the foundation years (the 2 years after medical school). I'd say that's when a UK student reaches the level of a Canadian/US student. Unfortunately, for us Canadians hoping to go back home and do well on electives, that doesn't help much! (you can't do electives once you've started your foundation years)

• 9 months later...

Thought I'd post since I'm doing electives in Canada right now. I'm actually going to school in the Philippines and doing 3 months worth of electives in Canada.

As for comparing students from overseas and CMG, I can personally say that I know I am behind. I think it's mostly because my 4th year clinical clerkship really put me in a poor position to learn. My clinical skills and practice are up to par but my knowledge is not. I have way more hands on compared to Canadian students but they have the opportunity to study and read every day. Huge difference when you're being asked questions, etc.

Patient interaction, history taking, physical exams, I know I'm up to par with the students I'm with but the book knowledge, etc I have a lot to catch up. It's definitely attainable and just means I have to hit the books more.

Archived