Premed 101 Forums

Failing a block/course and carms

I was just wondering, how dire are the consequences for failing a block with respect to matching into a specialty? Are you pretty much doomed to family? how often does it happen?

In our school, we have lots of smaller classes (around 45 hours each) instead of a few big blocks. People failed in several of these classes (maybe 25-30 out of 200 people in my class have failed a class in preclerkship) The consequences are not that bad but it doesn't help you either.

In our school, we have lots of smaller classes (around 45 hours each) instead of a few big blocks. People failed in several of these classes (maybe 25-30 out of 200 people in my class have failed a class in preclerkship) The consequences are not that bad but it doesn't help you either.

Sorry I should have clarified. I think this fail would go into the transcript and it would be for a block.I was just wondering if this would doom me, although I haven't officially got results yet.

Sorry I should have clarified. I think this fail would go into the transcript and it would be for a block.I was just wondering if this would doom me, although I haven't officially got results yet.

The fails I'm talking about are for ''blocks'', we just call them blocks (they're called courses) here and these fails do appear on the transcript. I've heard of people who had to redo a whole year because of their academic performance and who still landed a fine residency (every residency is ''fine'', but I mean the residency of their choice. They weren't forced into FM).

Peace

The fails I'm talking about are for ''blocks'', we just call them blocks (they're called courses) here and these fails do appear on the transcript. I've heard of people who had to redo a whole year because of their academic performance and who still landed a fine residency (every residency is ''fine'', but I mean the residency of their choice. They weren't forced into FM).

Peace

thebouque you have made my day. I don't go to a french school so I hope that doesn't change my situation. I think if I failed a block and would automatically be seriously hurt for specialties I would be pretty discouraged.

What are some things you can do to prove it was just a screw-up and that it wouldn't happen again?

certainly it will be a red flag on your application

the consequence of this red flag depends on what you are applying to

for competitive specialties, this could mean not receiving interivews

for family medicine or IM, it may prevent you from matching at your #1 location if it is competitive

to improve is simple:

(1) do well in other blocks and clinical rotations

(2) have a good reason why you failed

Damn, If I got a fail on my transcript I'd probably consider dropping out based on what you said here. Dunno if I would actually go through with it though. It would suck to stain your application like that with no way to make it better.

I wouldn't be so negative. I know of people who failed a rotation and got into 5-year residencies, albeit uncompetitive ones. CaRMS is really random and you never know how it will turn out.

You should check with your school about if it will actually go on your transcript. At UofT, if you fail a course or rotation, then you do the remedial work and if you pass the remedial work, then you get a "pass" on your transcript with no mention of the fact you remediated.

Archived