Premed 101 Forums

Shortened Waitlist

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks nemesis. I'm trying to do just that, but it's hard with this looming over your head.

...that's why I just added the 'easier said than done...' clause! :P

I agree. Less than 10 spots moved... strange

In past years there has been ~15 on premed alone...

Really? That's less waitlist movement than I thought. :confused:

As far as we know this is all the wl movement:

Update - I have just made a small number of waitlist offers, by email. We are still awaiting responses from some initial offers. Due today!

~5-6?

In an effort to keep the rumour mill at bay - yes, I sent one waitlist offer this morning. Am following up with non-responders today.

+1

Just sent a few more waitlist offers. If a space becomes available, an offer goes out right away. I can't predict if there will be more

~3-4?

One waitlist offer declined = one new waitlist offer this morning when I came in

+1* this was a premed offer that was declined

So 10-12?

Yikes, so that's that...

I wouldn’t say “sizable.” There are enough to make me feel comfortable.

What we say to all waitlisted applicants is that you have to move forward working on the assumption that you will not receive an offer of admission. If you do then receive one, great. But it is not something you can count on. The class is filling very quickly this year, so I don’t know how many more offers might need to be made. But, then again, we also have lost students over the course of the summer even into OWeek in previous years. That’s why we keep a very short list through the summer months.

I'd bet that the shortened waitlist is a safety for UofT for when someone declines the spot unexpectedly. This could, and has happened...

Still, the way things played out this year...anything can happen.

good news come your way or still waiting?

HBP! I'm glad that you're still on the waitlist! Don't completely lose hope yet..It's rough, but I'm rooting for you!

Edit: I personally think it was very generous of Deborah to send out another batch of rejections...It puts people's minds to ease and doesn't string anyone along. I wish all medical schools had the staff to put up and update a blog.

I'd say the outlook is pretty grim. Looking at forum history, shortlist notice came at June 22nd and there was one waitlist offer posted after that, at June 23rd.

If that's the trend, then we probably shouldn't expect anymore than perhaps 3-4 offers from now on......

Her reply on her blog really makes me wonder how many people are really left on this list. I guess it confirms that there's much less waitlist movement than previous years. :(

I wouldn’t say “sizable.” There are enough to make me feel comfortable.

What we say to all waitlisted applicants is that you have to move forward working on the assumption that you will not receive an offer of admission. If you do then receive one' date=' great. But it is not something you can count on. The class is filling very quickly this year, so I don’t know how many more offers might need to be made. But, then again, we also have lost students over the course of the summer even into OWeek in previous years. That’s why we keep a very short list through the summer months"[/quote']

Her reply on her blog really makes me wonder how many people are really left on this list. I guess it confirms that there's much less waitlist movement than previous years. :(

But it is promising to see her say "very short list"

Good luck guys!

But it is promising to see her say "very short list"

Good luck guys!

It's not the "very short list" yet. She's waiting for the responses from waitlist offers (due by June 11th) before shortening it further.

We got pwned this year. Looks like the class is just about full.

June 8, 2010 at 10:35 am | Reply Hopeful

Any updates for this week Deborah? Other schools have considerable waitlist movement, but I guess U of T has minimal movement this year?

June 9, 2010 at 3:09 pm | Reply utmedadmissions

Every year is different.

I am still waiting on some deposit cheques to come in and hope to have an update on Friday this week.

I guess she's going to shrink to a back-up list on Friday, and that's that for WL movement (other than unexpected withdrawals throughout the summer).

We got pwned this year. Looks like the class is just about full.

I guess she's going to shrink to a back-up list on Friday, and that's that for WL movement (other than unexpected withdrawals throughout the summer).

Wow, it doesn't sound like there was much or going to be much more movement this year at all. Very strange.

I just got cut today about 20 mins ago! But I'm glad - I didn't want to make it to the backup list because it'd be torturous. Good luck everyone! Congratulations to those of you who got an offer from UT (or any other school) and those left out this cycle and thinking of reapplying, keep at it and keep your head up. Time is a relative thing we keep track of in a way we made up ourselves. If med's your thing, you'll do it. Good luck

I've sent emails this morning to further reduce our waitlist. Our class is pretty much full. A short "back-up" waitlist will be kept

1 minute ago via HootSuite

Good luck to those who remain on it! Very little movement unfortunately for UT this year.

Yeah this year did indeed suck. Still trying to wrap my head around why. I'm assuming it's because of two reasons:

1) the provisional acceptance thing (although really, I don't this was the dominant factor. It DID speed things up, but it shouldn't have had a huge effect.

2) the fact that queens/western had weird ass cutoffs this year. That R at queens and that 11 in VR at Western probably created a huge overlap between people at those two schools, but not at Toronto.

These are just theories, and I may be completely wrong.

Yeah this year did indeed suck. Still trying to wrap my head around why. I'm assuming it's because of two reasons:

1) the provisional acceptance thing (although really, I don't this was the dominant factor. It DID speed things up, but it shouldn't have had a huge effect.

2) the fact that queens/western had weird ass cutoffs this year. That R at queens and that 11 in VR at Western probably created a huge overlap between people at those two schools, but not at Toronto.

These are just theories, and I may be completely wrong.

Not to mention the VR 11 at UWO overlaps with high VR for Mac.

Archived