Premed 101 Forums

Shortened Waitlist

Yeah this year did indeed suck. Still trying to wrap my head around why. I'm assuming it's because of two reasons:

1) the provisional acceptance thing (although really, I don't this was the dominant factor. It DID speed things up, but it shouldn't have had a huge effect.

2) the fact that queens/western had weird ass cutoffs this year. That R at queens and that 11 in VR at Western probably created a huge overlap between people at those two schools, but not at Toronto.

These are just theories, and I may be completely wrong.

Regarding #2, this is only anecdotal, but I do know of a few friends who interviewed only at U of T due to the MCAT scores required by the other schools. You're probably right that Queen's/Western shuffled acceptances between them, while a good chunk of people interviewed at U of T only.

There is also a strong #3 to consider - over acceptances. It really does seem that U of T overaccepted but quite a bit this year, proportional to the waitlist movement.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

#2 makes sense, I also fit into that category of only interviewing at UT because of arbitrary MCAT cutoffs, like many of the people who were waitlisted.

On the back-up list... this is going to be torturous. If only there was a bit more WL movement.

what is the back-up waitlist? Does that mean that the class is full, but it is just in case people who have already put down a deposit end up backing out? Or is there a shortened waitlist + a back-up waitlist, in case they go beyond the shortened waitlist?

Fingers crossed bud. Good luck.

Thanks dude. Probably just gonna forget about it. Don't even know how many are on this list... could be last. Hoping there's some sort of movement though, a dozen WL acceptances just seems way too low.

Any other premeds gonna be waiting out the summer? Or is it going to be lonely + long.

Thanks dude. Probably just gonna forget about it. Don't even know how many are on this list... could be last. Hoping there's some sort of movement though, a dozen WL acceptances just seems way too low.

Any other premeds gonna be waiting out the summer? Or is it going to be lonely + long.

the way they keep shrinking that list is making it even more lonely than normal. Good luck!

Not trying to cause any problems or anything but those who are talking about over acceptances. If they wouldn't have overaccepted then the waitlist would have been in the same order it is now except for the fact that those over acceptance people would be atop the waitlist ahead of all those put on this years waitlist. This would have caused considerably more waitlist movement but the overall outcome would remain the same because all of the movement would have just been to accept those students. Not sure if this makes sense to anyone other than me but it is a question for everyone still waiting.

Would you rather see minimal movement and finish on the short list?

or

Would you like to see considerable movement and still fall short?

I guess the only positive outcome of not overaccepting would be that those at the top of the waitlist may have received an acceptance from only one school and therefore pulled of the Toronto list.

Thoughts?

Not trying to cause any problems or anything but those who are talking about over acceptances. If they wouldn't have overaccepted then the waitlist would have been in the same order it is now except for the fact that those over acceptance people would be atop the waitlist ahead of all those put on this years waitlist. This would have caused considerably more waitlist movement but the overall outcome would remain the same because all of the movement would have just been to accept those students. Not sure if this makes sense to anyone other than me but it is a question for everyone still waiting.

Would you rather see minimal movement and finish on the short list?

or

Would you like to see considerable movement and still fall short?

I guess the only positive outcome of not overaccepting would be that those at the top of the waitlist may have received an acceptance from only one school and therefore pulled of the Toronto list.

Thoughts?

That's actually not true.

If there wasn't any overacceptance, there may likely be more invisible waitlist movement.

The people who make up the over acceptance may have been given multiple offers. If these people were put on the waitlist initially, they may have been forced to accept other Ontario schools. If this were the case, then they would have been removed from the UT waitlist, and any declines would go to the next people in line.

From UT's perspective, obviously it's better to overaccept and get your highest ranked candidates.

From a waitlisters perspective, you're hoping they don't, so you increase your chance of getting in.

That's actually not true.

If there wasn't any overacceptance, there may likely be more invisible waitlist movement.

The people who make up the over acceptance may have been given multiple offers. If these people were put on the waitlist initially, they may have been forced to accept other Ontario schools. If this were the case, then they would have been removed from the UT waitlist, and any declines would go to the next people in line.

From UT's perspective, obviously it's better to overaccept and get your highest ranked candidates.

From a waitlisters perspective, you're hoping they don't, so you increase your chance of getting in.

Yea this is probably the only scenario where I can think of that will result in more invisible movements had there been no overacceptance. In any other cases, the waitlister would just wait it out since it was announced that offers will be made as soon as spots open up. So yea it wouldn't mean much, but it's still more than it would have been with overacceptance. However, had the admission office decided not to call people before the provisional deadline, then we'd see a lot more invisible movements.

Rejected. Thank God. I agree with panda ... I wouldn't want to be wondering whether I'd be making the cut until the end of the summer. At least I can now put 100% of myself into my reapplication and intermediate plans.

After reading about some of the other schools on this forum, Toronto seemed to have the least amount of wl movements this year. I originally thought all the schools would have significantly lower movements this year due to no provisional acceptance but I was clearly wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived