Premed 101 Forums

Studying for the Writing Section - Is this a good strategy?

One_God

What I was thinking of doing was making a list of all the 365 questions (found on the aamc website) and under each of the questions,

write an example for thesis, antethesis?

Do you think that is a waste of time?

I was wondering how did you prepare for that section?

Did you have main examples in mind before doing your text?

Do you have any examples?

IMO, that is a waste of time.

Come test time, you probably won't remember your examples.

Most prep companies tell you to extensively look into 5 people / events / places and then apply those 5 to any essay prompt. I think this is a generally good strategy and it has worked for many friends

I don't even agree with looking into 5 people/events/places, I think you need to train yourself to be very creative and to not panic when seeing unfamilliar examples. IMO the OP's idea is a waste of time. One of my prompts on the MCAT was not one of the 365 questions. You just need to be very methodical in your approach and in ensuring all 3 tasks are completed and you will score well.

I think the best bet (other than just being knowledgeable about the world and many subjects ;)) is to make themes of prompts and go from there...things like education, society, government, music/arts, science/research, etc...for each theme outline various things that would be useful to know for that theme. I also find the World Wars can often be applied to many prompts in one way or another. I always found it useful.

Hi! What I did was I came up with some general examples (like the previous post said) for my mcat. Some areas to think of: education, advertising, media, history, government/politics, science/technology/research, business...etc That way you can use some general examples (world wars, women's movement, stem cell research, etc) for several prompts. I think if you make a list of all 365 it's a waste of time to go through them all, BUT you should definitely go through some (maybe like once a day depending on how long you're studying), just to practice thinking on the spot and sticking with an idea (make sure your 2 examples are in the same realm, i.e. you don't want to use gandhi as an example of perseverance and then a soccer match).

To sum up answers to your questions. I didn't have specific examples in mind going into the MCAT but I did do a little reading of current events, brushed up on some main historical events when I had time or was relaxing. When you look at your prompt it will be easy to tell what category it falls under.

Good luck!!!!

What I was thinking of doing was making a list of all the 365 questions (found on the aamc website) and under each of the questions,

write an example for thesis, antethesis?

Do you think that is a waste of time?

I was wondering how did you prepare for that section?

Did you have main examples in mind before doing your text?

Do you have any examples?

Archived