Premed 101 Forums

Grad student applying to AMCAS - LOR question

Hi everyone,

I'm a tad confused about LORs...I was planning to send in references that were similar to my OMSAS ones...i.e

1 Msc. supervisor

1 GP that I have been shadowing for a few years

1 Cardiologist that I currently work for

probably add in another letter from my Msc. co supervisor.

Is this not good? i.e, should I also get LORs from undergrad? This seems to me like a pretty stupid idea at the moment, but maybe that's how it works for US schools.

Can anyone shed some light on this tedious process regarding LORs?

Hi everyone,

I'm a tad confused about LORs...I was planning to send in references that were similar to my OMSAS ones...i.e

1 Msc. supervisor

1 GP that I have been shadowing for a few years

1 Cardiologist that I currently work for

probably add in another letter from my Msc. co supervisor.

Is this not good? i.e, should I also get LORs from undergrad? This seems to me like a pretty stupid idea at the moment, but maybe that's how it works for US schools.

Can anyone shed some light on this tedious process regarding LORs?

Rule of thumb for AMCAS LOR is usually 2 science LOR and 1 non-science LOR needed (non science meaning humanities, social sci etc)

So yes, you will need some undergrad stuff...UNLESS these rules don't apply to grad students - you'll hafta confirm with another grad applicant, or read certain schools' websites.

I was actually wondering this as well (I'm also a grad student) and noticed that some schools wanted letters from profs that taught you bio,chem etc... it's been 2 years since I've been in undergrad and although I'm sure some profs remember me, clearly those letters would not be as strong as my research supervisors/volunteer supervisors.

If any grad students who have previously applied could share some of their experiences with this, it'd be much appreciated!

Yeah, that's an interesting question. I'd much rather use my supervisors for LORs, than profs who've taught me in the past. Of course, if they want undergrad profs, that could work too if it has too. But oh God, from non-sciences is going to be brutal to get... :eek:

Archived