Premed 101 Forums

quick question about Alberta residency

I am pretty sure there are many things you could do. For instance, phone bills, banking info (you must take out money from bank machines?), the people who you volunteer with etc. I do not think you need to necessarily be employed for proof. As far as your long distance education, I am not sure if that applies or not. I think your best bet is to just contact the admissions office and see what they consider legitimate proof of you being in province and whether your long distance ed changes anything - requirements often change and its probably not a good idea to just depend on forum members' conjectures (including my own :P). Good luck.

I would phone them and ask. It is probably hard to reach them right now as they are busy with waiting list offers and processing all the incoming students. Plus, it is likely they are getting lots of calls from the waitlisted ;)

If you're going to pay money to someone for something, you should always request receipts. I would at least ask your relative for that to show that you are paying rent. To make it more formal, draw up a lease agreement with them to show that it is indeed YOU that is living in the suite/apartment and will show the exact date when you moved in/there. Other examples to further indicate proof of residency would be utility bills and other bills (credit card, tuition, phone) received at your AB address. Again, if you are going to contribute in part to expenses like utilities, get a receipt for the amount paid. Having an Alberta driver's licence and Alberta health card will also be proof that you are a resident. As I mentioned, you can only get these after three months of residence (waiting period when switching provinces).

The more thorough you are, and the more proof you have that you live here and are not trying to milk the system, the less likely you will be questioned. Still, to make sure everything is on the 'up and up', call and get the exact details from the respective Admissions offices. Good luck and welcome to the best province in Canada! :)

ps. I cannot answer your two years as a student in AB residency question. I did not know that there was a difference if you are a student.

• 4 weeks later...

I can't remember if you can apply for reimbursement for your driver's licence...I do know that you have to surrender your old one at the registry office to get your new one assigned to you. If you are bringing a car here, be prepared to pay for a safety inspection before getting plates and also for higher insurance rates.

When switching, do I lose my OHIP card and Ontario Driver's License?

I've paid for my license to be valid till like 2014.

If you are setting up residence in another province, you don't want to do it half baked, i.e., your banking, provincial medicare coverage and driving licence (whether you are going to drive a car or not there) should be consistent with your claim - that you have changed your residence from ON. Also, you would file your income tax returns from there, etc. So, simply put, keeping OHIP is inconsistent with your statement of your residence, if you resdie in another province, then your provinical medicalk cover is from that province.

Archived