Premed 101 Forums

UBC distance ed courses

Anyone taken any? Any feedback?

I am considering taking a number of UBC distance courses over the next Sept-Apr session. I've taken lots of distance courses in the past to I don't forsee too many issues with it. A few questions I have:

- I have heard a rumour, although this might be untrue, that UBC removes certain UBC 'fluff' courses from your GPA. I can't imagine this could be the case because it would be way too much work.

-Anyone taken any of CLST301, any ENGL, PHIL433A, EOSC118, FNH, IHHS, PATH or HIST courses?

-Is there a course review site for UBC? Other than ratemyprof?

Any advice would be helpful.

I took two UBC psyc courses through their distance ed. They were ridiculously easy for 300 level courses. The assignments were fill in the blank, true/false and short answer and the exam was much the same with some long answer at the end and you were allowed to choose 4 of the 6 long answer questions to answer. Much easier than other distance courses I have taken. I don't know about other courses though.

I've heard the rumours about removing some fluff courses, but that's all they are, rumours. Take as many as you want to bump up your average while you can.

I took a few distance ed courses during the summer because it's a pain to commute to UBC for me (2 hours daily). Didn't encounter any problems when applying. As far as the specific courses you mentioned:

CLST 301 - easy and relevant for med, but get prepared to memorize lots. That 95% isn't going to be handed to you on a platter. But it's all pure, straight up, raw memorization.

ENGL/FNH - didn't take any

PHIL 433A - good background bioethics, but lots of paper writing. Tough to get a very high mark. If you're doing it for the ethics, just buy "Doing Right" to prepare for your interview. Otherwise, I would stay away. If you have free time, just drop in on the lectures.

EOSC - all of them are fun and easy courses. Two thumbs up

PATH 375 - sign up for this. Now. Dr. Nimmo gives great lectures, and the exam is laughably easy. One of the best courses I have taken at UBC.

HIST/ANAT - super relevant for medicine, definitely take these. Lots of memorization. I might also recommend PHYL 301, but get ready to do a lot of studying as well.

IHSS - another one of my distance ed courses came from here. Recommend this instead of PHIL 433A, just pick whatever topic you find interesting.

Hope that helps!

I took Phil 433A and did very well but you are right in that it requires A LOT of work and effort to score that top mark. Some of my assignments used to amount to 7 pages single spaced to effectively justify all my responses. Which IHSS did you take? I heard that they are very interesting courses.

I took IHHS400, which was just a seminar-type thing, where you meet once a week and just talk. A couple of my buddies took 301 I think it was. It involved writing journal entries once a week, and didn't include a final. You're right, you can't go wrong with IHHS!

If you take an IHHS course, I wouldn't recommend distance ed (I'm not even sure if they're offered as such). IHHS courses are the most engaging and interesting courses at UBC, in my opinion, and most people end up with high marks in them.

The ones I took (IHHS 200 and 300) didn't have huge courseloads either (IHHS 200 had literally one paper the entire term, aside from two dead easy exams), so you could really just go to lecture each week and enjoy the discussion. I really didn't have to worry or even think about IHHS 200 outside of lecture. IHHS 300 is a bit different in that there are no lectures, and it is web-based. It takes a bit more effort than IHHS 200 (which honestly, should be a guaranteed A+ if you're a competent student), but I found it quite interesting, and it wasn't a pain (like how many other "easy" undergrad electives turn out to be).

Also, for CLST 301, they've drastically changed up the course. It's no longer as straightforward as it used to be to get those 95-100% grades (the old system of weekly quizzes, with no final and midterm exams). They've added a midterm and final (which are fairly straightforward, but they mark in a mysterious and frustrating fashion), and the averages for these usually land in the 70s, which are pretty standard for any UBC course (but clearly lacking if you're looking for an easy GPA booster). It gets to be a real pain of a course, but if you are competent at memorization, and you do put in the effort, you can probably land an A+ without too much complication.

Just my 2 cents.

Do you guys that UBC care what type of courses people take after they get rejected to improve their GPA? and last 60?

Or is it just a numbers game?

like do they look at what year the course is, is it a easy course? the field the course is? directed studies? etc.

FNH 355 (World Problems in Nutrition) is a very interesting course taught by Judy Mclean, who is imo one of the best profs at UBC. You do have to study, but a good mark is definitely attainable. I would highly recommend taking this course.

Thanks for all the info, I really appreciate it.

IHHS sounds very interesting. I would much prefer to take courses in person, but I live in a pretty small town on Vancouver Island, so it would be a bit of a commute!

UBC distance ed seems to be slightly less expensive (amazing!) than TRU and AThU, and the number grade vs. letter grade is a good thing.

I think I'll take CLST301. I have always had an aptitude for etymology and memorizing Latin names, so I'll do well.

FHS- I have a background in nutrition (worked as a personal trainer for a number of years and had a nutrition certificate) so that will be a cakewalk (pun intended)!

ENGL is now required for UBC admissions, so that's what started this. I think I'll be fine in this. I'm being allowed to retake a course I took in 1997, so we'll see how it goes!

I still have a number of weeks before registration opens, so I'll decide on the other two. I'm hoping to take 6 courses total to up my GPA slightly to make me just that bit more competitive for Queens.

If you take an IHHS course, I wouldn't recommend distance ed (I'm not even sure if they're offered as such). IHHS courses are the most engaging and interesting courses at UBC, in my opinion, and most people end up with high marks in them.

Why wouldn't you recommend taking a distance ed version of IHHS? You didn't explain... :confused: It might be interesting to talk with other people about IHHS-related things, but the point of distance education is that you do the same material without being in a classroom. Obviously you miss out on the interactions with other people, but I didn't feel that it was a mandatory part of the course.

As far as CLST301 goes, I think I might be forced to take back what I said. If they changed up how the course is evaluated, you might want to look elsewhere for those easy marks!

As far as CLST301 goes, I think I might be forced to take back what I said. If they changed up how the course is evaluated, you might want to look elsewhere for those easy marks!

To be honest, this is the first time in my academic career I am even considering a course based on "easy marks". I feel a little morally corrupted just for thinking it! :P

I have quite a strong background in this already and I LOVE memorizing root terms. I think CLST301 will be pretty easy, and if it's not, I will still love it!

I'm glad others have enjoyed it already- that makes me even more interested.

Should I repeat courses as an unclassified student to improve my academic grades?

Generally, we do not recommend repeating grades to improve your overall GPA. Students who enroll in unclassified, non-degree programs for the sole purpose of improving their academic qualifications are advised that only a small proportion of such candidates gain admission.

so this is whats on the UBC website.......so is there apoint in taking more classes or do you get around this by saying that you want to do a second undergrad? and in the end if you don't finish it, thats ok too?

UBC distance ed seems to be slightly less expensive (amazing!) than TRU and AThU, and the number grade vs. letter grade is a good thing.

Keep in mind for pricing, that TRU and Athabasca include the cost of textbooks and other materials in the price and UBC does not and the cost of books can be upwards of $200 for some courses.

Should I repeat courses as an unclassified student to improve my academic grades?

Generally, we do not recommend repeating grades to improve your overall GPA. Students who enroll in unclassified, non-degree programs for the sole purpose of improving their academic qualifications are advised that only a small proportion of such candidates gain admission.

so this is whats on the UBC website.......so is there apoint in taking more classes or do you get around this by saying that you want to do a second undergrad? and in the end if you don't finish it, thats ok too?

What UBC is discouraging is taking a bunch of first year courses that you have no intention of using for anything other than marks. I enrolled in a psyc major through TRU, but didn't fully complete my second degree and it didn't seem to matter that is wasn't completed.

I have been granted special permission to repeat ENGL 112. It's to use it in lieu of my 1997-1998 english for the 10-yr rule.

I took it in 1997, so they will allow you to take it again. Truthfully, I would be a little intimidated taking a 200-level course if the last 100-level course I took was 13 yrs ago.

Thanks AndreaM, good point about the texts being included. The biggest deal to me isn't the money but the number-vs-letter grade. Athabasca always worked really well for me, so I'm hesitant about going somewhere else, but I think these courses will work out in the end.

Oh! And ratemyprof has a lot of info about the courses if you're willing to look for it. I'm definitely rethinking taking ENGL222.

Andrea, was your first degree in arts?

I guess I could enroll in a second science degree and take courses like that to help progress my marks, or I can envoke the ten year rule and take english 100 again......

I know I dont have to re take biology because they can use a higher level bio but do I get to pick which one they use for the prereq calculation? anyone know?

Is this specific to "repeating" courses? ie if you took say bio200 before and are taking it again or taking new courses that you have not taken before?

Also, what about for people that are taking say 100 level English courses now seeing how they have the no EET rule?

I know I dont have to re take biology because they can use a higher level bio but do I get to pick which one they use for the prereq calculation? anyone know?

They take the first BIOL courses completed that will not be taken off with the 10-yr rule. Does this make sense?

I have my CHEM101/102 courses dropped, so they are taking my marks from CHEM 245/222 at UVic.

You wouldn't be allowed to choose which ones because everyone would choose their best marks, of course!

I'm sure there are lots of variation on which ones are used depending on exact circumstances. You'll have to email them directly.

Andrea, was your first degree in arts?

I guess I could enroll in a second science degree and take courses like that to help progress my marks, or I can envoke the ten year rule and take english 100 again......

My first degree was science and I didn't use the 10 year rule. My best marks were my pre-reqs and I didn't want to retake them.

My first degree was science and I didn't use the 10 year rule. My best marks were my pre-reqs and I didn't want to retake them.

to do a second degree in psych did you have to take first year language requirements that pertain to an arts degree? sorry I can check that out at UBC website but I thought I would ask.

to do a second degree in psych did you have to take first year language requirements that pertain to an arts degree? sorry I can check that out at UBC website but I thought I would ask.

I did my second degree through TRU Online and some of the courses from my first degree counted for my breadth requirements.

Archived