Premed 101 Forums

No Hopes? Lost.

If that's true, I'm sorry but things like that really tick me off. How is that fair to get your transcript wiped clean b/c they were too immature to be in university??

I had to appeal a few grades for legit reasons b/c of severe illness, and it was not easy. That is just frustrating to read.

To the OP, please don't go appealing grades and trying to get your transcript "wiped clean" if all it was was being too immature to be in university/partying, etc etc etc.

If that is the case, don't appeal your grades, just suck it up, it is what it is, get better grades for the next 2 years and you'll be well on your way. Appealing grades b/c of immaturity is an insult to all the people who have struggled in university who were mature enough to be there but had to appeal grades and deal with an injury, illness, or loss.

Dont worry, this will almost NEVER happen. I have friends who have tried it, and all of them (and I can think of 4 at the moment) ended up giving up. The university is not stupid. They will not just "wipe your transcript clean" because of immaturity, and if you think they will, your are living in a fantasy world.

This route will not work. Get your grades up and transfer, then ace the mcat. That may sound tough, but it will be, and I think most people can tell you that your honest chances at any med school in Ontario are less than 1/1000, even if you start trying your ass off now.

Thanks for all the great advice everyone! You are very kind!

I don't think I am going to consider 'wiping clean' my transcript. I didn't have any health issues whether physical, mental, or emotionals documented by a professional. Furthermore, the chances of using immaturity as a reason to wipe it clean is extremely slim - although it may be rare case.

I thought of remaining at UofT St.George. However, I should live off campus downtown. My grades will definitely improve, but to what degree I cannot guarantee. Wouldn't each course score realistically at a high B-low A maximum? I must say that I would earn a little bit more time for myself to participate in extracurriculars (which I have none now), and extra study time for the courses. I also didn't take 5 FCE and medschools will look at that so I will need to take 5 FCE next year.

Or as many have suggested, I may transfer schools...to York or to another UTScarborough. York is a lot closer to home, but going to UTSC still 'keeps' UT as its name. They say that York or UTSC is easier than UTSG..and its possible to get good grades. I think I'm trying to open up all the options that will faciliate me in improving grades. Would that help boost my gpa from 1.65 to 3.0? I think the question has been around for more than centuries: "Does it matter where you do your undergrad?" Maybe in my case its better to think of getting good grades first? Say I'm getting a cgpa of 3.6 at Uoft, but someone from UTSC is getting a 3.7; wouldnt they highly consider the one from UTSC?

I don't think I am going to consider 'wiping clean' my transcript. I didn't have any health issues whether physical, mental, or emotionals documented by a professional. Furthermore, the chances of using immaturity as a reason to wipe it clean is extremely slim - although it may be rare case.

I thought of remaining at UofT St.George. However, I should live off campus downtown. My grades will definitely improve, but to what degree I cannot guarantee. Wouldn't each course score realistically at a high B-low A maximum? I must say that I would earn a little bit more time for myself to participate in extracurriculars (which I have none now), and extra study time for the courses. I also didn't take 5 FCE and medschools will look at that so I will need to take 5 FCE next year.

Or as many have suggested, I may transfer schools...to York or to another UTScarborough. York is a lot closer to home, but going to UTSC still 'keeps' UT as its name. They say that York or UTSC is easier than UTSG..and its possible to get good grades. I think I'm trying to open up all the options that will faciliate me in improving grades. Would that help boost my gpa from 1.65 to 3.0? I think the question has been around for more than centuries: "Does it matter where you do your undergrad?" Maybe in my case its better to think of getting good grades first? Say I'm getting a cgpa of 3.6 at Uoft, but someone from UTSC is getting a 3.7; wouldnt they highly consider the one from UTSC?

If you want to have a stellar cGPA and be competitive at U of T, Mac, NOSM you're going to have to redo your undergrad. You CAN still however get accepted without doing another undergrad if your 3rd and 4th years are in the 3.8 ballpark. It does not matter what university you do your undergrad, as long as you have the prereqs you are fine.

You won't be able to transfer without a minimum cGPA of 2.7, but most likely closer to 3.0, so transferring may not be an option :( You may have to rough it out and pull up your marks to transfer or finish up at UT and do a second degree

If that's true, I'm sorry but things like that really tick me off. How is that fair to get your transcript wiped clean b/c they were too immature to be in university??

"PremedJunkie" created their account in June 2010, has only 2 posts both of which are in this thread.

Please do not feed the troll guys. :rolleyes:

Tricks to pulling up your GPA at U of T (atleast for me):

1. Research your courses! use the anti-calendar, talk to people and do NOT take courses that people describe as difficult or for which the midterm average is regularily below 60% - these course will kill you unless you are really on your game (i.e. plant biology, STA220, biological psych - few I've come in contact with)

2. Pick courses in which the methods of evaluation are fair and unbiased. U of T has a brutal grading curve and some profs are known for being biased against student they don't like (or even those that they do like). Also, pick courses in which the resources exist for you to succeed (i.e. past tests etc.)... Do NOT take courses that have never been taught before (unless you know the prof) or courses without reader/textbooks etc. (I.e. material that you know how and when to cover) - I personally love large course that have multiple back years of multiple choice tests for the GPA boost.

3. Field courses - I've never taken one of these but a number of people including profs have indicated that this is an easy way to pad the GPA (if you have the money)

4. You HAVE to study. like CRAZY. I attended 2 universities before U of T (Kings and Mcgill) and my idea of studying was cracking the books a couple of nights before the exam and making sure I had a good grasp of the material. At U of T you need to open that **** a week before minimum (for a few hours a day) to ENSURE an A. Of course you can always get lucky with the test etc. if you only study a bit. But if you have no margin for error you NEED to be preparing extensively for every test/quiz - even be on point for tutorials - it will help.

5. Pick up the easy marks. 5% for tutorial participation - make sure you get at least 4/5. PSY100 gives 3% for experiment participation. Lab quizes - make sure you are there - AND- you can perform well on them. Doing well on small things can give you quite a buffer for brutal midterms. I.e. if you have a 10% quiz - don't be satisfied with 8/10 - go for the full 10 and when you have to write the brutal midterm, you will be able to afford to take the hit.

Just be smart about course selection and time management and you can totally pull up your GPA - there are total idiots at u of t with 3.7+ they just know how to game the system/get the marks. These are the thing you need to think about now.

Hi,

I'm looking for some help and advice...

I'm a student from UofT that has messed up her academic career. It's going to be my third year at UofT this upcoming Fall, but I'm still considered a 2nd year student because I've failed some courses in first year and went into probation. Coming into university, I was planning to pursue into medical school but I think hopes are all shattered.

I had a cGPA of 1.23 in 1st year. The reason being is simply having a hard time adjusting to school, long commuting hours, exhaustion, and picking the wrong courses. In the second school year, I took only three courses and ended up out of probation with a cGPA of 1.64. It's a slow climb but the goal was to save myself from probation.

I'm planning for my third year at UofT, but I am still considered a 2nd year student. Is there any hope for medical school? Should I look into doing a Masters instead? Anyone that can recommend next steps? I don't think it will be possible for me to finish undergrad in four years, do MedSchools require a strict four year program?

Thanks thanks

You should reaaaaaaaally try hard and see what you get with a full load. You gotta show some significant improvement for us to comment on your chances of admission. So far, nada for sure, not even close for masters sorry to break the news. Med schools have different rules and stuff, look up in each sub forum for each med school.

this is kind of like those...a friend of a friend of mine advices that kinda just stuck.

A friend told me if you really, truly want to go to medschool, you'll eventually get there (subtext plus conditions excluded)...only a matter of time, effort, and determination.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

I'm looking for some help and advice...

I'm a student from UofT that has messed up her academic career. It's going to be my third year at UofT this upcoming Fall, but I'm still considered a 2nd year student because I've failed some courses in first year and went into probation. Coming into university, I was planning to pursue into medical school but I think hopes are all shattered.

I had a cGPA of 1.23 in 1st year. The reason being is simply having a hard time adjusting to school, long commuting hours, exhaustion, and picking the wrong courses. In the second school year, I took only three courses and ended up out of probation with a cGPA of 1.64. It's a slow climb but the goal was to save myself from probation.

I'm planning for my third year at UofT, but I am still considered a 2nd year student. Is there any hope for medical school? Should I look into doing a Masters instead? Anyone that can recommend next steps? I don't think it will be possible for me to finish undergrad in four years, do MedSchools require a strict four year program?

Thanks thanks

Arghh

Your marks barely allow you to pass, let alone even look at a med school application. You could not even get into a nursing program in the caribbean with those marks.

Look - clean up your act and see if you are capable of getting your marks up and even completing an undergrad degree. I don't think you are cut out for meds - two crappy years so far does not bode well for doing well on the mcat, or even being able to complete medical school.

You should know better than that. There is no sympathy for you. Plenty of people on this board with cgpas of 3.85 range did not get a single interview in Canada.

Look - clean up your act and see if you are capable of getting your marks up and even completing an undergrad degree. I don't think you are cut out for meds - two crappy years so far does not bode well for doing well on the mcat, or even being able to complete medical school.

You could start by doing something about that long commute. Commuting in Toronto is mentally and physically draining, I know from doing it for my summer job for several years. I couldn't imagine sitting on the TTC for an hour or more each way, every day, throughout the school year. Either move downtown, or transfer to an out of town university so that OSAP will give you an allowance for living away from home.

Edit: two bad years might be overcome if you apply to schools that will drop them, like Queen's and UWO. But if you're serious about medical school or even graduate studies, you definitely have to make some drastic changes. Think about changing programs or even transferring to an "easier" university for a fresh start.

Edit 2: Sorry, just read the whole thread. It looks like you're already considering doing something about the commute. For transferring schools, don't limit yourself to the GTA. There are plenty of good universities all over Southern Ontario. Think about moving to a different province to gain in-province status for their medical schools (carefully check their residency rules before committing to something like this!). Nevermind the "name" of the university, whatever that means. Your own grades, and what you do with your own time are far, far more important than something like how long your university campus has been around.

Archived