Premed 101 Forums

U of O residences

Hey guys,

I will be starting at U of O Meds this fall. Are any fellow first years considering living downtown at the U of O residence buildings?

Just wanted to see what people's thoughts are in terms of living near RGN versus downtown.

Looking forward to meeting everyone in September!!

I'm currently living downtown in an apartment (at about Rideau and King Edward), and I'm planning on staying downtown next year, although not in residence...been there, done that.

Pros of living downtown: close to the market and Elgin for going out, close walking distance to groceries, Rideau centre, pharmacy, etc., Sandy Hill is a really nice area of the city, close to the facilities at UOttawa (gym, libraries, etc.), good for public transportation since you're near hubs.

Cons of living downtown: parking can be expensive if not included in your rent, longer commute to the hospital for class, more expensive (generally), health sci library is at RGN not on the main campus.

That's what I can come up with quickly off the top of my head. You'd have to get a post from someone who lives at Lees or closer to RGN for the other side of things!

if living at RGN, a car would be nice... and a garage... lol.... ottawa winters are painful

A car bc the grocery isn't in walking distance and RGN campus restaurants are limited

Plus someone mentioned that the gym at RGN is one you must pay for? The main campus gym is prob free or like a cheapo membership cost.

Hrm... being able to walk to class is nice... and not having to drive thru snow to get there is also nice...

I wonder how the shuttles b.w RGN/main campus are?

if living at RGN, a car would be nice... and a garage... lol.... ottawa winters are painful

A car bc the grocery isn't in walking distance and RGN campus restaurants are limited

Plus someone mentioned that the gym at RGN is one you must pay for? The main campus gym is prob free or like a cheapo membership cost.

Hrm... being able to walk to class is nice... and not having to drive thru snow to get there is also nice...

I wonder how the shuttles b.w RGN/main campus are?

From what I remember, they run every 20 (or maybe 30?) minutes on a fixed schedule and it takes about 30min from main campus to RGN.

From what I remember, they run every 20 (or maybe 30?) minutes on a fixed schedule and it takes about 30min from main campus to RGN.

The shuttle schedule is available here:

http://www.protection.uottawa.ca/en/shuttlergn.html

Thanks for you responses...it's just a difficult choice between being closer to school/classes, vs. other conveniences such as grocery stores/shopping/social life.

Can anyone share their experiences living in any of the main campus residences?

Archived