Premed 101 Forums

Getting a job - 16 year old

Hey, I'm having quite a bit of trouble finding a job. It's even harder now because the university students are done and why would any store want to higher a high school student in place of a uni student...

How did you guys get your foot in the door? Where did you work and are there places that are always looking to hire?

Thanks.

EDIT: Hey everyone, just wanted to put it out there that today I was hired at Tim Hortons after 2 nerve-wracking interviews (first 2 in my life as well, mind u). Thanks to all your posts, encouragement, and advice after I thought I would never be able to get one. I know it's ONLY Timmies, but it's my first job(16yrs young) and hey...

I feel like a million bucks ;)

My first ever job is still one of my current jobs, at a grocery store (unionized, owned by Jim Pattison!). I got sorta lucky and applied a month before it was opening while they were looking to hire ~100 people.

I'd suggest looking around local malls and shopping complexes for new openings (lots of things open for the summer). When a store needs to hire a large number of people in a short time they won't be very picky about age of prior experience as long as you interview alright.

Browse craigslist, monster, the newspaper, and anywhere else you can think of.

I work in a store that employs ~75 people, so scheduling is less personal and I am able to dictate my availability as I want. You'll definitely want to consider this if you're a student for 8-10 months of the year. I'd be patient and wait for the right opportunity if you want something long term.

Hey, I'm having quite a bit of trouble finding a job. It's even harder now because the university students are done and why would any store want to higher a high school student in place of a uni student...

How did you guys get your foot in the door? Where did you work and are there places that are always looking to hire?

Thanks.

Is this your first job? If yes, then you'll probably have to resort to a fast food or retail outlet. You really don't have much choice. I think everyone starts out in fast food or retail, but nonetheless, it will be valuable experience.

I think the majority of university students do not compete in the same job market as teenagers. Most university students are looking for jobs related to their field of study while high school students tend to stick in the fast food or retail sectors, and so you don't have to worry about competition.

I never really had much difficult finding a job, even in high school. Just drop off your resumé everywhere and as other posters have mentioned, search online. Good luck.

I think for a first job it can be useful to apply very broadly. There's so many places out there, you could apply to 10 jobs a day for a week (& more), easily, if you're from a medium-large city. Then it sometimes takes time to get call backs for interviews. I think most of the times I've applied for jobs, I ended up getting like 3 offers in 1 week, after about a month of waiting! Offers tend to all come at once, if you apply broadly. Summer camps can definitely be fun jobs. Fast foods & shops can be a good place to start too. There's always jobbank.gc.ca if you're looking for more variety. I think Services Canada Centers for Youth might be able to help you both building a resume and finding a job... you might want to check out their website.

Best of luck!

You can enlist in the reserves if you have a local regiment at 16 years old. Head on down to your local recruiting office and ask if there's one in your town, or nearby. I honestly wished I knew about the reserves when I was 16 and got active in the military from a younger age. It's a lot of fun, pays well for the work usually, and you'll see and do cool **** you'd never have done otherwise with very little time commitment.

• 1 month later...

EDIT: Hey everyone, just wanted to put it out there that today I was hired at Tim Hortons after 2 nerve-wracking interviews (first 2 in my life as well, mind u). Thanks to all your posts, encouragement, and advice after I thought I would never be able to get one. I know it's ONLY Timmies, but it's my first job(16yrs young) and hey...

I feel like a million bucks ;)

That was my first job too!

Archived