Premed 101 Forums

Honours Physiology

Here's a spiffy recruitment video for Honours Physiology program at UBC. Pretty accurate about what the program was like when I graduated 3 years ago haha.

Although, I have to be honest, the amount of sucking up to the faculty members is kinda pathetic to see from the Class of 2010. You guys are better than that!

Super lame. All these guys did was kiss a lot of prof ass. Thomas visited each and every one of faculty members daily, because he was so desperate to get into medicine. What an embarrassment.

I don't know where all this hate is coming from :confused:

I watched the video, although it was pretty lame, I didn't feel there was much sucking up to the profs.

Although I did take issue with the assertion that they "only take the best." Honours physiology is for people not good enough for pharmacology :D

Well, to be fair to the promo video, relative to the science population at UBC the students are the best, based purely on gpa cut off and rigour of the program. This is ignoring people who could get into the programs but choose something else (i.e physics or math). Relatively speaking they are the best, at least that's my 2 cents

True...

Many years ago, when I was still in 2nd year undergrad, I was planning to switch from Biochem to Pharmacology, with the hopes to get a job as pharmacology had a decent Coop program at that time.

I was having average like 87% at that time, but still rejected by pharmacology as I declared my major/honour in biochem instead of pharmaco. Cutoff was roughly 82% at the old days. So, they couldnt take me and rejected me, because they only took people who had high score and who declared pharmacology right at the beginning.

Well, to be fair to the promo video, relative to the science population at UBC the students are the best, based purely on gpa cut off and rigour of the program. This is ignoring people who could get into the programs but choose something else (i.e physics or math). Relatively speaking they are the best, at least that's my 2 cents

They're not the best based on either GPA or rigour of the program.

All you need is an 80 to get into physiology. You need at least 85 for pharmacology.

Honour pharmacology > honour physiology in difficulty.

Even then, the best students in science are the ones in honours math/physics getting 95+ averages; you actually need to be intelligent to succeed in this program. Just studying your ass off won't cut it.

This coming from a psych student so no bias here.

True that, that's why I put Physics and Math as an exemption in my original post :P

And I didn't know that Physiology was that low, thought it was up their with Pharmacology.

On a side note, is their even a gpa cut off with math and physics? I always thought those we're self declared / not many people have the aptitude to go for it

On a side note, is their even a gpa cut off with math and physics? I always thought those we're self declared / not many people have the aptitude to go for it

I dont' think there is... pretty much anyone that wants to go into physics can go in as far as I remember. However, anyone with half a brain knows the limit of their math ability and most people would decide AGAINST doing a degree like math/physics.

Funny that this topic actually came up.. the smartest two people I have ever met in my life, literally geniuses... one of them was the one who started the UBC 40,000$ scholarship.. he was the first recipient, he gradded from bio-physics!

When I watched the video, I thought what they meant was that they would take the best *out of the people who had applied*. I mean, if you think about it, no programs takes the best (e.g. Students in other provinces, countries, dimensions...).

At the Science Scholar dinner this year, I saw that both physiology and pharmacology programs had good representation there. The majority of pharmacology and physiology students have really high GPAs. The GPA cutoff really has no meaning since the number of applicants for both programs typically exceeds the number of accepted.

For those wondering about the rigour of the programs, you'd have to go attend the Beyond 1st Year or ask someone you know from those programs. ;-) But from what I've heard, those courses and lab reports are pretty rough. =S

When I watched the video, I thought what they meant was that they would take the best *out of the people who had applied*. I mean, if you think about it, no programs takes the best (e.g. Students in other provinces, countries, dimensions...).

At the Science Scholar dinner this year, I saw that both physiology and pharmacology programs had good representation there. The majority of pharmacology and physiology students have really high GPAs. The GPA cutoff really has no meaning since the number of applicants for both programs typically exceeds the number of accepted.

For those wondering about the rigour of the programs, you'd have to go attend the Beyond 1st Year or ask someone you know from those programs. ;-) But from what I've heard, those courses and lab reports are pretty rough. =S

Both Physio and Pharm labs are hard but very rewarding. Most people who survive through it does not regret taking it. I'm speaking from experience as I have taken both 3rd year Physio lab and 3rd and 4th year Pharm lab. By the end of it, you don't think its hard to write a lab report at all.

If I had to do it all over again, I would go with Pharmacology.

Physiology lab reports, like previous posters mentioned, are brutal and tough. When you get through it, it definitely is worth it. What is however a b1tch, is a stretch of about 6 lab reports back-to-back starting mid-January (Not sure if that's still around, they might have altered the curriculum). Coincidentally, that's around the time when you should be prepping for your med school interviews. When I did honphyl, the faculty was not very supportive of students attempting to get into medicine (if you have an interview on the day of the lab at UT, tough. You can't make it up. Enjoy your 0!)

But apparently, if you cry and moan and suck up enough, those in charge of the course will allow a bit of slack. If only our year stooped down to that level...

TL;DR: Do pharmacology.

Archived