Premed 101 Forums

After doing some research...a bit depressed

Hi guys,

I was just doing some research in the accepted/waitlisted/rejected thread and it seems like the only way for a non-swomen to get in is with having a really good (i.e 3.9 or more) GPA.

My GPA is 3.8 for best two years, and let's say I meet the MCAT cutoffs this year (10, 10, 11, R), I feel like I might get an interview in theory, but only be to waitlisted in the end.

Do you guys this the sample here is just very overachieving? Do people know of people with stats such as mine and non-swomen who got in?

thanks

The results here will be skewed. People are much more likely to post their GPA & MCAT scores if they are above average. The reality is your interview has the largest effect on your overall rating. If you put a lot of prep time into your interview and pull it off well it will make up for non-SWOMAN status.

You absolutely have a fair chance based on your GPA, don't get discouraged! I had similar worries when applying (i.e. wondering if they actually accept people with only one year above the cutoffs).

I got in this year with one year at 3.83, and my offer conditional on getting 3.7 in my fourth year (thank god I made that!). My first and second years were not eligible because first year was not a full course load and my second year was below the cutoff.

Based on your stats you should be getting an interview as long as you make the MCAT cutoffs, right? The interview is worth a lot (50%), so a strong interview can make up for a little weakness in GPA or MCAT. Don't let other peoples' stats get to you, I think that if you can get ahead of the curve in your interview it's massively more valuable than an extra .05-.1 GPA-wise.

Hi guys,

I was just doing some research in the accepted/waitlisted/rejected thread and it seems like the only way for a non-swomen to get in is with having a really good (i.e 3.9 or more) GPA.

My GPA is 3.8 for best two years, and let's say I meet the MCAT cutoffs this year (10, 10, 11, R), I feel like I might get an interview in theory, but only be to waitlisted in the end.

Do you guys this the sample here is just very overachieving? Do people know of people with stats such as mine and non-swomen who got in?

thanks

I know of people with your stats you get in - we don't set the cutoffs so low that people that actually get them have no hope of getting in :)

While of course higher gpa people have an advantage historically gpa counts for 25% of the final score (we aren't sure if it still is but collectively the forum seems to have settled on that still being the case). So do the best you can, prepare for the interview (this makes a huge difference - it is amazing how many people spent a huge amount of time on gpa/mcat/ec and virtually nothing on the most important part of the admissions process).

Also this board is skewed - people don't like to post they have perhaps lower than average scores, it can be a bit of a hit to the ego.

Not to mention, and I hope that it is rarely the case, that people aren't necessarily posting the truth when they put up their scores. There is a level of anonymity on the forums even with the generally friendly nature between posters. I don't think there is much stopping someone from boosting their MCAT score a point or two, or jumping their GPA from a 3.85 to a 3.90 because they want to be seen highly.

If you meet the cutoffs, pull off a good interview and you will be more than competitive.

If you meet the cutoffs, pull off a good interview and you will be more than competitive.

One thing I was told a while ago would apply here I think - admins don't waste their time interviewing people that don't have a chance at getting in at the school. They just have better things to do :) Those cut offs are created with that in mind

Hi guys,

thanks

Hey GLO, I'm non-SWOMEN and I definitely didn't have a 3.9+ GPA. I got an offer from the "normal" waitlist on Friday. While I felt pretty good about my interview, there was definitely room for improvement. Don't be discouraged!

Archived